Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guru Prasad

Right off the assembly line
Hi all,
I am not very familiar with da world of computers...I need to purchase a laptop for my cousin...he will use it for browsing, movies, document processing, gaming(but not very heavy), etc...
it will be better if the laptop has a built in webcamera, bluetooth capability and has a good processing speed as well... Shud he buy some branded laptop or is it possible to get 1 assembeled... if so Plz suggest a suitable configution for the same...
Budget is 30-35k...

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
i have decided on the following specs for a new rig...albeit low cost...with a few bouts o gaming thrown in.

amd athlon x2 4600+.................3250
1GB ddr2 800 ram to start with....1150(will update later)
160GB sata 2 hdd......................1900

actually i m confused abt the motherboard. i have an old 8600gt on me,which i will replace by a 8800gt shortly.and i wanna place this 8600gt on the new rig.

i have shortlisted two chipsets with decent onboard vids...amd 780g and the nvidia 8200mgpu based borads.

780g-Gigabyte-GA-MA78GM-S2H,
8200mgpu- Gigabyte-GA-M78SM-S2H,
ASUS M3N78 EMH HDMI.

i am worried whether the 8600gt will run on the amd 780g system. am i right abt it?

i am also confused abt the price.....of the mobos.
i have placed apart 1500 bucks for the cabinet and smps. My max range is 12000.

Plz advise on the choice of the motherboard.....

Journeyman
look my present config is like : AMD 64 bit CPU athelon venice core
msi rs482 motherboard
1 GB ddr ram

Now I want to upgrade in a config where I can play most of the dx10 games . what will u suggest ?

P

paranj

@56561

ok first get a new mobo and A CPU. As i dont know ur budget, i will suggest what a human can afford:D.

CPU - E8200
Mobo - Abit IP35e Off-limits
RAM - Transcend 2GB DDR2 800MHz
HDD - (it depends on u but i am just recommanding at a general thought) Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.10

Graphics Card - (budget) ASUS EN8600GT 256MB (medium) Sparkle 9600GT 512MB (high) 8800GT 512MB (extreme)Zotac 9800GTX AMP! Edition. (more than xtreme) Gigabyte 9800GX2

Monitor - Dell 22" (please can some1 post the model number?) anyways go for Dell.

Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, Headphones and Case can be dealt by u.

Will recommand Cooler Master eXtreme power 600W PSU.

Price depends on the GPU u choose.

Budget - 35-40k
Medium - 40-45k
High - 45-50k
Extreme - 60k
more than eXtreme - 75k!

Post more queries if u have!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
look my present config is like : AMD 64 bit CPU athelon venice core
msi rs482 motherboard
1 GB ddr ram

Now I want to upgrade in a config where I can play most of the dx10 games . what will u suggest ?

That's the same config that I have only thing is that the chipset is 6100 nvidia. Now, installed ATI 2600XT and am able to play most of the games at 1440x900 resolution on a 19" monitor. 8600GT performs better. So get yourself MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte 8600GT. Should cost you around 4.5k for 256mb edition.

First I thought that the single proccy could be a serious bottleneck, but heck no. I tested my card on AMD X2 4400+ 2.3GHz machine with DDR2667RAM and the difference was very very minute. So, there is no need to upgrade everything to slightly better conifg. you will see difference only when you install something like E7200 or a quad core proccy with 2-3gig DDR2800Mhz ram. No noticeable difference if you use an entry level dual core proccy's.

Last edited:

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
@dessibond... how much did u pay for it???.... My frn has this config,

Celeron 2.26 GHz 256 KB cache
1 GB DDR 400

he wants to play games on this pc and is looking for gfx card.. HD 2600 XT is AGP isnt it?.... should i recommend it to him?... and price???

AND HELP ME WITH THIS.... i posted a separate thread but got really less replies... i guess i will get more replies here....

Hi guys. Im looking forward to put a PC in the living room for the guests to access internet and do simple office work. I dont like them fiddling my own pc thats why.

Alright here are the things I need. I dont care if its low end in any sense, dont have it to be a powerhouse.
1. Should be dead serious about power saving. I will keep it always on, on standby when not in use. Will also use it for downloads if necessary.
2. 15" LCD 1024x768 (Cheapest one will do. No Multimedia usage. Only internet and office work)
3. KB+Mouse Combo.
4. Makeshift Stereo Speakers.
5. Good looking cabinet (preferably horizontal and small form) with around 250 w PSU
6. Proccy that consumes really less power, no multicore needed. Cheap(est) will do. Semprons are okay for that isnt it?
7. 512 MB DDR2 667 Atleast.
8. Basic Mobo with onboard graphics, sound and lan.
9. 80 Gb HDD atleast. But that should be enough for this purpose.
10. No optical drive needed as I will network it to my primary PC.

Thank you.
Bikalp Paudel

Budget : Minimum possible..... after i get that minimum config, u guys can recommend whats VFM n i'll consider :D lets keep it around 15 k... :D

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@dessibond... how much did u pay for it???.... My frn has this config,

Celeron 2.26 GHz 256 KB cache
1 GB DDR 400

he wants to play games on this pc and is looking for gfx card.. HD 2600 XT is AGP isnt it?.... should i recommend it to him?... and price???

AND HELP ME WITH THIS.... i posted a separate thread but got really less replies... i guess i will get more replies here....

Hi guys. Im looking forward to put a PC in the living room for the guests to access internet and do simple office work. I dont like them fiddling my own pc thats why.

Alright here are the things I need. I dont care if its low end in any sense, dont have it to be a powerhouse.
1. Should be dead serious about power saving. I will keep it always on, on standby when not in use. Will also use it for downloads if necessary.
2. 15" LCD 1024x768 (Cheapest one will do. No Multimedia usage. Only internet and office work)
3. KB+Mouse Combo.
4. Makeshift Stereo Speakers.
5. Good looking cabinet (preferably horizontal and small form) with around 250 w PSU
6. Proccy that consumes really less power, no multicore needed. Cheap(est) will do. Semprons are okay for that isnt it?
7. 512 MB DDR2 667 Atleast.
8. Basic Mobo with onboard graphics, sound and lan.
9. 80 Gb HDD atleast. But that should be enough for this purpose.
10. No optical drive needed as I will network it to my primary PC.

Thank you.
Bikalp Paudel

Budget : Minimum possible..... after i get that minimum config, u guys can recommend whats VFM n i'll consider :D lets keep it around 15 k... :D

I paid around 6k for it but you better deal will be to get MSI/Palit 8600GT for 4.5k.

Go for the config that Pathik suggested.

Also check:

1) Intel E2180: Rs.3k
2) ASUS P5kPL or Intel DG31PR: Rs.3.5k
3) 512MB DDR2 667: Rs.700 or 1gig for Rs. 1100

Rest is your choice.

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
@desiibond
my fren wants agp, not pcie, n i guess urs is agp one.

For the pc i want, ur recommendation is power hungry and more than what the purpose needs. Im thinkin about this:

Intel Atom 1.8 ghz CPU+Mobo (3.5k)
OR
Intel celeron e1xxx 1.8 ghz (1.8k) + Biostar n7050 mobo(2.2k)

1 Gb Transcend value ddr 800 (1.5k)
WD 160 Gb sata 2 (2k)
Cabby+psu ;suggest me a cabby that looks good 4 livin room; (1.2k)

and please inform me abt the lcd plz, i dun kno model/price?

Ps: if i buy intel atom, il need a small n cute cabby, where can i find it and price? It shud be ITX size, isnt it)

janitha

Wise Old Owl
@desiibond
my fren wants agp, not pcie, n i guess urs is agp one.

For the pc i want, ur recommendation is power hungry and more than what the purpose needs. Im thinkin about this:

Intel Atom 1.8 ghz CPU+Mobo (3.5k)
OR
Intel celeron e1xxx 1.8 ghz (1.8k) + Biostar n7050 mobo(2.2k)

1 Gb Transcend value ddr 800 (1.5k)
WD 160 Gb sata 2 (2k)
Cabby+psu ;suggest me a cabby that looks good 4 livin room; (1.2k)

and please inform me abt the lcd plz, i dun kno model/price?

Ps: if i buy intel atom, il need a small n cute cabby, where can i find it and price? It shud be ITX size, isnt it)

Is Atom already available in India? If so, from any online store?

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ No way man. It was launched just yesterday. Getting Atom chips is gonna take another month in india.

P

paranj

maybe years :D India is so developed and hot favourite in hardware market.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Mine is PCIe card and not AGP. I don't even have AGP slot on my mobo. hmm. For low budget, why don't you check the UMPC's like ASUS EEE PC. Yes, Intel Atom is also a good choice but noone knows how reliable it is and how compatible it is with current apps and how stable it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom