Basic Console Purchasing Guide

lingo

Broken In
@ vamsi_krishna

Buddy ps3 is also moddable now thanks to a little usb device called jailbreak. Its available now and now ps3 can play backups and other downloaded games.

First off, Jailbreak is not a mod, it is a hack.
I think, at the time when OP posted, although PSJailbreak was out.. PS3 games were using this new iso format(from the game 'medal of honor') which will make the games inaccessible for PSjailbreak. But later, They have updated the Jailbreak. And now, they can run games. But you should note that, PSjailbreak will not work once you update the firmware of PS3 as sony locked the Dev-mode on the console via patch though which jalbreak is running the dumps.

But Now, as the PSDowngrade hack is out, thorough which one can downgrade their Playstation 3 firmware, no matter what their FW version is. But still there are speculations that question PSdowngrade compatibility with Future firmware updates(although PSjailbreak team claims something different).

v_joy

Journeyman
How gud is Playstation 3's internet browser..?
Is it as simple as pairing PS3 with router cum modem (Beetel 450TC1 which i got with Airtel broadband connection)..?

Actually I just bought an HDTV, my dad wants internet access in it so he was planning to buy a cheap (20k) htpc for the TV. So i was wondering if PS3 could take care of that need, I might convince him to buy PS3 instead. A win-win situation. :D
Before I do that I need confirmation that PS3 does all that.
websites: gmail, yahoo, hotmail, facebook, youtube, TDF :)P) etc..

Other queries:
1.Are wireless keyboard + mouse for PS3 available? How much do they cost?
2.How many controllers do u get with the console?
3.If i dont want to store movies on PS3's drive (I have portable HDD for that) Will 40GB HDD suffice?
I'm assuming HDD is used only to store the saved games and stuff downloaded from PSN. And games run directly from Bluray. No installation.

I'm sorry if these questions sound stupid. Please don't ridicule. :(

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
How gud is Playstation 3's internet browser..?
Is it as simple as pairing PS3 with router cum modem (Beetel 450TC1 which i got with Airtel broadband connection)..?

Actually I just bought an HDTV, my dad wants internet access in it so he was planning to buy a cheap (20k) htpc for the TV. So i was wondering if PS3 could take care of that need, I might convince him to buy PS3 instead. A win-win situation. :D
Before I do that I need confirmation that PS3 does all that.
websites: gmail, yahoo, hotmail, facebook, youtube, TDF :)P) etc..

Other queries:
1.Are wireless keyboard + mouse for PS3 available? How much do they cost?
2.How many controllers do u get with the console?
3.If i dont want to store movies on PS3's drive (I have portable HDD for that) Will 40GB HDD suffice?
I'm assuming HDD is used only to store the saved games and stuff downloaded from PSN. And games run directly from Bluray. No installation.

I'm sorry if these questions sound stupid. Please don't ridicule. :(

No these are infact good questions if you are first time owner.. I never thought about these when I had bought it :p

1.Are wireless keyboard + mouse for PS3 available?

How much do they cost? : Yes You can get wireless Logitech Keyboards+mouse for as low as 1300 Rs

2.How many controllers do u get with the console? :

No most of the games these days do use HDD for installing the game.. for eg. GT5 takes almost 9-10 GB of hard disk space for installation..

I would recommend to atleast go for a 120 GB one.. or the beauty of PS3 is the hard disk can be replaced without the warranty getting void. You can replace it with any 2.5" Laptop hard disk.. so even if you buy a 40 GB hard disk PS3 you can always upgrade..

Regarding your external drive.. it should be formatted to Fat32 as PS3 doesn't read from anyother formats including NTFS..

Regarding the browser, yes it is a decent one.. It can open all those sites mentioned above.. but again you can't compare it with leading browsers like Firefox, chrome etc.. You can also browse using the Move Controller.. where you directly point the controller to the link on tv and click it.. :)

v_joy

Journeyman
@cooljeba:
thanks for replying.

I have some more queries.
1. The one controller we get with PS3 , is it wireless?
2. If PS3 only reads FAT32, then how come people transfer HD movies on PS3's HDD?? (movies greater than 4GB in size.) Because FAT32 file system cannot hold files greater than 4gb.
3.Does PS3 supports (wireless) mouse too? (i guess not, but still.. no harm in confirming..:p)
4. Is PS3 locked to a region? If I get PS3 games from US or europe will it run?

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
1. The one controller we get with PS3 , is it wireless?
Yes, Wireless controller with a USB cable for charging.

2. If PS3 only reads FAT32, then how come people transfer HD movies on PS3's HDD?? (movies greater than 4GB in size.) Because FAT32 file system cannot hold files greater than 4gb.
Yea, it still has 4gb file size limitation for external devices. you have to split the file into parts to get it done or you can steam the content directly from your PC

3.Does PS3 supports (wireless) mouse too? (i guess not, but still.. no harm in confirming..:p)
PS3 supports most of the bluetooth 2.0 devices. It might be Mouse, Ear phones, mic, etc.

4. Is PS3 locked to a region? If I get PS3 games from US or europe will it run?
You can pickup any retail game and play it on any PS3. But DLCs are region coded.

v_joy

Journeyman
^whoa.. "stream content directly from yr pc"
sounds awesome..!
I'd sure like to learn how to do this once I get my PS3. :)
Thanx a lot for yr reply.:)

I'm planning to buy PS3 120GB + 1 extra wireless controller + Move (not sure abt this :()
I don't know if it will be useful or not. (besides a use pointed out by cooljeba).
But then i guess soon it will be compatible with most of the games, and a little exercise wont hurt.. :p

How much will the controller cost? And are there any promotional schemes of PS3 + Move combo going around..?

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
PS3 controller (Dual Shock 3) is around 2599INR.

There is PS3 move bundle.. which comes with 320GB PS3+ Move controller+ Eye toy+ A free game. Bundle will cost you around 23000INR.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
PS3's Internal drive structure gets formatted on ex-FAT32 file system. This allows files greater than 4GB to be stored directly on it's internal HDD.

Baker

Albicelestes
am in a confusion whether going for Xbox360 4gb or 160 gb....
one is with 15k other is 22k....

what actually the size makes difference.. ?

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
It depends.

If you are not a man of playing too many games at once. 4GB will be just fine. As you can install the game in any other external device. But, if you have the habbit of storing the games, videos for nostalgia.. even then don't go for 160gb. It is priced very steep. Get 4GB thing and invest some amount in any external storage device. You will be fine :)

Baker

Albicelestes
It depends.

If you are not a man of playing too many games at once. 4GB will be just fine. As you can install the game in any other external device. But, if you have the habbit of storing the games, videos for nostalgia.. even then don't go for 160gb. It is priced very steep. Get 4GB thing and invest some amount in any external storage device. You will be fine :)

at present am having CRT tv... is it compulsary to have LCD or .. CRT will do the job....

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
at present am having CRT tv... is it compulsary to have LCD or .. CRT will do the job....

Well.. No one is pointing a gun at you to have a HD display. But you can things will be smooth and beautiful with HD displays. And you can use your LCD monitor(Assuming that you have one :D )

@gamerananad, PSP Go is hardly an improvement from original PSP. But It's price is included in the first post.

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
The new one is psp 2 and not psp go. Its codenamed NGP (nextgen portable).

Its almost a ps3 and you can take it in your pocket.

yea..yea.. I know. I saw the live press event as well. But, you actually want me to include a Console which is still in development in a purchasing guide?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ no no i was just correcting gameranand mate. We will include psp2 after its released.

Btw did you like it? I was blown away especially by that uncharted gameplay. It was completely like a ps3 and even has great motion controls.

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Yup. Even developers agreed that this little thing is nearly as powerful as PS3. I Was literally blown out of my socks, when I watched Uncharted, MGS gameplay on NGP.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yeah and i think this little beast even has the power to run the mighty cryengine 3 and frostbite 2.0. What do you think?

Top Bottom