Ballmer admits Vista not selling as expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

hailgautam

Youngling
aryayush said:
Everyone knows that the closed platform approach and the high prices in the past has been the reason for Apple's low market share.
However, Apple has not "failed". Mac sales are consistently on the rise, and even if they fall, it is not the sales that determine how good a product is, but the user satisfaction. And by the number of fans of the Mac platorm out there, you can easily conclude how good the machines are. As long as Apple keeps making fabulous product and we, the users, are happy, it will not have failed.
Apple is the only company in the computer field that has "got it right".

Uh, it wasn't related to the Olympics. It was the "legendary" Super Bowl commercial.

Apple Failed or not is subjective.....and any discussion on it will sure to cause flams. But cosnidering the fact that Apple came out with a GUI at the first place way back in 1984, it is just ironical that MS has gained more out of GUI instead. There was a time when Jobs was removed from the Apple Board, the product porfile was dwndling and Apple was loosing customers.

If I am not wrong it was the 2nd term of Steve Jobs that has seen the inovative product development starting with the iMac, then came the iPod.....but there was time when the picture was not so rosy.....

OP
NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
well of course its not selling well as expected.
first off its way 2 much money.
and people don't want to give MS any more money if they install
vista over 3 times. people are happy with xp and MS should have waited
another year to launch vista

Problem is in big hardware requirements, but soon as new pc come then Vista will go with them, for now WinXP is enough for 80% of users.

Vista isn't expensive when you consider that 10,000 peoples working 5years on it, and 10 billion $ project coast.

But Microsoft expect to bring back $11.5 billion operating profits from Windows Vista before end 2007.

The best thing about Vista is that it's not on my computer at home.

Complete waste of money that doesn't offer much of anything for the price they are asking.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
aryayush said:
The fifth point is wrong. Windows 95 was not the first operating system to bring a graphical user interface. The first operating system with a GUI was the Mac OS in 1984.
*imrl.usu.edu/OSLO/technology_writing/004_003.htm
Now I wonder who is right - gautam, you or that article? Someone help me decide.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I was talking about the first graphical user interface on a commercially available operating system. I know Apple got the inspiration from Xerox PARC. And then Microsoft from Apple.

hailgautam

Youngling
And I was solely referring to Windows. If i am not wrong, Xerox PARC was wronged many times like the invention of the Mouse, though was invented at Xerox initially Apple and then MS made merry on the invention...

We both were right at the our stand points ....however narrow (according to some) may it be :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Vista will be pirated soon, all it needs is time. It's made by coders which are humans which means bugs & flaws will be there

The Paradox crack is working fine here. Once Vista is cracked & people understand that Aero Glass isn't everyhting & Vista runs fine on even older hardware, the market of Vista will raise a lot

One thing is good though, at my friends computer shop most of the people coming to buy a new branded or assambled PC/Laptop are asking weather it can run Vista fine or not. Trust me this has raised his sales of GFX Cards, Geforce 7300 & 6600LE are in demand again :D cos they are cheapest. He is also advertising it nicely using banner & posters all over his shop....with a laptop giving live demo

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
tarey_g said:
When XP came out p2p sharing was not so common, thats why they sold XP very well . Now every single computer user knows where to get stuff from. So only thing they can do is to lower down the price of the OS in the emerging markets where ppl cant buy a 10-16k OS. Perks of having a leagal copy are nice , let more users experience it.

i think the price of Windows Vista Home edition is $200(approx. ra 9000)...

OP
NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
Not surprising. It's a couple of years late and is a big resource hog. It has some neat features and DX10 will force gamers to move over.

But that's it. If you don't game I suggest you checking out Linux Ubuntu. It has drivers for most hardware and works as good as Windows for Office-work(Open-office among others), instant messaging(AMSN and GAIM), web surfing(firefox).
It demands a bit tinkering if you want to run Windows applications through emulation but IMO it's worth it.
The biggest "selling" point is that it's free.
Just download the ISO and burn it to a CD. You can always try booting from it and try it out (it's fully functional) before installing the OS.
Download

If you are ready to try something different it's for you.:p

runeet

Broken In
hope Microsoft get screwed good for pricng the windows so high, they should regret this high pricing for the rest of their little life-span.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
"little life-span"? LITTLE LIFE-SPAN!!! :shocked:

Are you sure you are talking about Microsoft? The Microsoft Corporation!? :eek:

They've been in the business for more than twenty years and are still going strong.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
aryayush said:

They've been in the business for more than twenty years and are still going strong.

Nice to hear that from you:p

hailgautam

Youngling
aryayush said:

True - they are bigboys - Vista is nothing but a small hiccup - which they will manage in the long run. They have diverse interests in various software and some little know projects which earns good money. How many of you know that they have a Accenture or Bearning Ponit type of Consultancy Business going on which is larger than many many companies. Large portion of Indian Software Co like TCS and smaller Company's projects are outsourced via MS.

runeet

Broken In
hailgautam said:
True - they are bigboys - Vista is nothing but a small hiccup - which they will manage in the long run. They have diverse interests in various software and some little know projects which earns good money. How many of you know that they have a Accenture or Bearning Ponit type of Consultancy Business going on which is larger than many many companies. Large portion of Indian Software Co like TCS and smaller Company's projects are outsourced via MS.

Its not just a hiccup but a major cough, thats why they are marketing it so heavily. Did u watch that program that they entirely sponsored for marketing vista in India. Man its a joke such atrociously priced products gonna sell in India.
Even the big companies wont buy it not bcoz of the price but bcoz its a resource hog. Above it all its not even that secure.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
NIGHTMARE said:
1. Microsoft force you to buy Vista.
2. Sony force you to buy blu-ray.
3. Its all about money.

Plz come out of such misconception. Microsoft doesn't forces anyone to buy Vista. What, did they came to your home & told you to buy Vista Ultimate on Gun point.:D

If you are happy with Linux\Windows XP\MacOS then stick to it. Since you are happy it means you have ironed out all the problems with those OS, so whats the point of switching.

Again, Sony is not forcing anyone to buy Blu-ray disks, if u don't like it don't but it. Simple as that.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yes, DirectX 10 & Vista are made for each other. The new Device driver model cannot be ported to XP without serious chage in the kernal which is not an option. DirectX 10 needs this new WDDM to work so again it cannot be ported to Windows XP.

However, here is the thing. DirectX 10 games are not out there right now. Also no game manufacture will make a game without a DirectX 9c path atleast for the next 2 years, which is quite a long time. There are thousands of DX9 cards out there in the market & homes, you think the the game publishers will leave this market at once.

If your main purpose is to play games in Vista in DX 10, you need a DX 10 graphics card & even Windows Vista Home Basic will do & it comes cheap also. Like I said, you need to come out of misconception & be aware that the expensive Vista Ultimate is not the necessity for everything. MS has given you many choices to chose from.

OP
NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
Thats what i was saying..nothing new, everything is forced, beacouse rich peoples wants more $$$, forced..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom