Baffled by GPU specifications

pauldmps

Banned
I'll buy a laptop soon. Hence, I was doing some research myself for the best GPUs that is available within my budget.

As usual, I headed to notebookcheck.net for GPU specifications.

I am a totally noob when it comes to GPUs to I got baffled by so many terms in the specs like :

No. of Pipelines
Core Speed
Shader Speed
Memory Speed
Memory Bus Width
Memory Type
etc.

I also learnt that higher numbers in model no. does not mean better performance. For example the HD 6570M is just a renamed version of HD 5730. So the performance is about the same.

1. Please explain me each & every terms in the GPU specs.
2. Which parameters should one focus on for good gaming performance ?
For example, should I go for 512MB GPU with faster core speed or 1GB card with slower core speed, etc.
3. Which parameters should one focus on for 3D applications & multimedia performance ?
4. Anything else you would like to add.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also learnt that higher numbers in model no. does not mean better performance. For example the HD 6570M is just a renamed version of HD 5730. So the performance is about the same.
Even HD 6310M will not be faster than HD 5650M.

As far as AMDs numbering is concerned, the first digit from the left represents the generation.

HD 5730M was one of the higher-end GPUs of HD 5xxxM generation whereas HD 6570M is the mid-end GPU of the new HD 6xxxM generation.

As a general rule, judge GPUs by their performance only. No need to get baffled by those terms in specs.

At the moment, HD 5650M is considered a capable mobile GPU. I wouldn't suggest for going anything below that if you want to game on your laptop.

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned
I compared some benchmarks & I think HD 5730 is better than HD 5650, isn't it.

Also will 2GB Nvidia 525M better than 1GB HD 5730 gvien that the 5730 is a faster card ?

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned
Well again you're confusing me. I don't have any idea of the cards in your previous post.

That is why I wanted to know which specs are important & which are not. Even if you forget that I'm looking for a laptop & suggest a good GPU for that, I wanted to develop some expertise in recommending GPUs to other people. So like, "get this card, it has faster core speeds" or like "get this card because it has more pipelines".

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, it won't be.

Will nVidia 7200GS with 1GB memory be better than 7600GT with 256MB memory?
Answering the question.

7600GT 256MB is faster and by a long shot.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

That is why I wanted to know which specs are important & which are not. Even if you forget that I'm looking for a laptop & suggest a good GPU for that, I wanted to develop some expertise in recommending GPUs to other people. So like, "get this card, it has faster core speeds" or like "get this card because it has more pipelines".
Both the companies have different way of calculating things like stream processors, shader units, pipelines etc.

imho, the only thing which matters is - which card is faster. Just like a sprinter - whether he is white or black, whether he has long legs or short legs. :p

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned
Okay, then which site should rely for GPU benchmarks ? Notebookcheck.net will do or somewhere else too ?

Tachyon1986

In the zone
Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare

Use the above link ^^^^

You can compare two graphic cards side by side there. It will display the benchmark results of both cards with respect to their specifications. Of course, you need to know which two cards to compare though :)

Oh , this post is really useful also :

*forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/1089099.htm

Remember , NEVER judge a card by how much RAM it has. More RAM does NOT mean the card is better. It's a very common mistake and shopkeepers exploit customers by selling really old cards with lots of RAM.

Last edited:

kkmudgle

Right off the assembly line
a faster core speed is more valuable than the memory. do not go into the deep of specs. just choose four or five cards around our budget and then look for real world benchmark on benchmarking sites and compare them and choose accordingly.

doomgiver

Warframe
Not faster but will it be better as it has twice the memory ?

size of the memory is not a major consideration when comparing gpus.
its the type of memory thats more important, and its clock speed.

eg : 512mb gddr5 will ALWAYS beat 2gb ddr2. coz its way faster, and much more effective.

Top Bottom