Bad RAM Slot?

koolent

Youngling
So, the other day, I pressed the power button and the fans spinned the way they are supposed to but, they kept spinning that way. No ups and downs in speeds. So, I switched the power off and back on, same story again. So I spanked the chassis to the side and it worked. It went on for several days until today, it was the same story today except for the part that spanking didn't really work! I took the RAM Sticks out and after some swaps with te two sticks, I found out that it is one of the slots that's causing the trouble.
However, when the stick is put into the NOT WORKING slot, the board doesn't beep. The "Fan Thingy" continues however.

I am curious about if the slot is dead, why did it work back then.

Note: I cleaned the slots. Will clean the chassis completely on Sunday the 12th :p :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Did you forgot to mention that when fans starts to spin, there is no display in the monitor? Means switching power on doesn't make the monitor comes out from the standby mode?
Cause if you are experiencing this too, then its the exact problem which I am facing. Except that I am now working on a single RAM of 4 GB, instead of the usual 4GB x 2 Rams. Haven't got the time to do R&D to identify if its slot problem or RAM. Will do soon.

OP
koolent

koolent

Youngling
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. The monitor gets no signals. Totally blank. Forme it's only 2GB DDR2. :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
may be some capacitor or other component which is needed for smooth functionality of the bad ram slot gone completely out of order .. that's why is worked for a few days and after that stopped working. Anyway, don't spank your pc .. they don't like spanking :D

OP
koolent

koolent

Youngling
Well, seems like I'll have to get it professionally checked then. Thanks.

I never want to "spank" my computer LOL, but sometimes, it irritates me.
"Spank" xD

Top Bottom