Bad gfx card or windows re install needed

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
guys
i bought a sapphire hd 6870 from MD Computers(shop in kolkata) , along with my other pc components, this saturday and it gave display to my newly installed win 7 ultimate 64 bit
when i install the drivers from the cd, it rebooted as it is supposed to. Then i went to my computer and ran Windows experience index. My monitor gave weird colours and in the end a blue screen came up with some writing. I remember one line said that windows is shutting down to prevent damage. now when i try to go into windows, that same blue screen comes after the welcome screen.
I tried to boot into safe mode and it worked.
So should i try installing the latest drivers after formatting my hdd and re installing windows?
Or is it just a bad gfx card which needs to be sent for RMA?(i hope not)

modder

RAMPAGE!!!!
1. Boot into safe mode
1.5 Disable automatic rst on BSOD Link:*pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm
2. DL latest ATI GFX Driver from here (1st option)
3. DL+Install G3D Drver Sweeper
3.5 Select *only* ATI -> remove
4. Reboot into normal desktop
5. Install the dl-ed ATI GFX drv from step (2) -> Rbt. when asked
6. Run WEI
7. Report Back

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my experience Driver Cleaners create more problems than solving. You may want to install the drivers only.

OP
Cool Comps

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
1. Boot into safe mode
1.5 Disable automatic rst on BSOD Link:Automatic Restart Windows 7 - How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7
2. DL latest ATI GFX Driver from here (1st option)
3. DL+Install G3D Drver Sweeper
3.5 Select *only* ATI -> remove
4. Reboot into normal desktop
5. Install the dl-ed ATI GFX drv from step (2) -> Rbt. when asked
6. Run WEI
7. Report Back

By first option you mean the one that is not APP approved?
what does app approved mean anyway.
And i get a Blue screen with some error message.
If it is a bad card, how am i to claim warranty?
i am scared haha

also, my bottom dvi port doesnt give display. My top one does. Is it something like i have to usee the top one and then the bottom one. I mean is this normal?

OP
Cool Comps

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
i am going to try today in the evening.
now answer my question. Should i download the one which isnt app approved. if yes why?
and what does app approved mean anyway?
i am scared haha

also, my bottom dvi port doesnt give display. My top one does. Is it something like i have to usee the top one and then the bottom one. I mean is this normal?

modder

RAMPAGE!!!!
DL the 1st one which *includes* APP 85.3MB v11.4 (similar to CUDA from NV, GPU acc.)

Cool Comps said:

Yes. See: *www.tomshardware.com/forum/304311-33-6870-multi-display-problem

Griffolion from tomshardware.com said:
As far as i know, firstly, unless the two DVI ports are being used in dual link mode then one gets disabled when in use, both of them cannot be used for separate monitors. In this case you will have to resort to either the DisplayPort or the HDMI port.

You also need a DVI cable that matches the type of DVI port it is plugging into.

Cool Comps said:
Take snaps of the card, note model no., sl. no. everything. Then RMA it with MD or Aditya. Get a receipt from them with every detail (sl. no./etc) for future ref.

Next time you get the error msg, note it down.

Cool Comps said:
I aint in my house. Thats why gonna do the installation at 4 pm

Since you haven't dl+installed it already, one more thing disable UAC Link: *www.petri.co.il/disable-uac-in-windows-7.htm (Use option/method A) before Step 3 and run the setup as admin (rt click file>run as admin.)

Last edited:
OP
Cool Comps

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
please answer other questions too.
REALLY URGENT. I aint in my house. Thats why gonna do the installation at 4 pm

btw my gfx card has 2 dvi ports, one hdmi, and one display port(not mini)
Shouldnt there be 2 mini display ports?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
i am going to try today in the evening.
now answer my question. Should i download the one which isnt app approved. if yes why?
and what does app approved mean anyway?
i am scared haha

1. Its not approved its either included or removed, download the one with APP. APP stands for Accelerated Parallel Processing. Previously it was called ATi Stream. AS per AMD, it is a set of advanced hardware and software technologies that enable AMD graphics processing cores (GPU), working in concert with the system’s x86 cores (CPU), to accelerate many applications beyond just graphics. This enables better balanced platforms capable of running demanding computing tasks faster than ever, and sets software developers on the path to optimize for AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs).

2. Your card may not be bad. First try updating the drivers.

3. Non-functional DVI port may be due to the cable being Single Link type, so not outputting while its inserted in the Dual Link port. Check the photo:-

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/5702378963_2437b3e240.jpg

please answer other questions too.
REALLY URGENT. I aint in my house. Thats why gonna do the installation at 4 pm

btw my gfx card has 2 dvi ports, one hdmi, and one display port(not mini)
Shouldnt there be 2 mini display ports?

2 mini display ports are in the 6900 series.

modder

RAMPAGE!!!!
3. Non-functional DVI port may be due to the cable being Single Link type, so not outputting while its inserted in the Dual Link port.

Skud he's getting display from the 1st port.
But when link is disconnected from the 1st port and connection/link is made to the 2nd port, he's not getting disp. Can you please try this on your 6950 and report back. Thanks

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, I will try once I get back to home.

POST ADDED

I tried it while it was on (sort of hot-plugging), no problems from my side. Both the DVI ports working. Single Link support 19x12 res, so no problem running at my native res. Didn't really feel I have changed something. Looks like, OP must have some problem with the card. Let him update the drivers first.

modder

RAMPAGE!!!!
Thanks for the update Skud.
Then it means/comes to a conclusion that both DVI ports should work independently.
Yeah lets wait for the OP to update the drivers.

OP
Cool Comps

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
yes but my above slot works without any drivers.
My bottom slot doesnt. So i have to get the card RMA'd? :(

btw i have a single link dvi-d cable from my monitor. Can i insert that into the gfx cards dual link dvi port?

also, i have installed my intel mobo driver.
my mobo has onboard gfx. (H67)
So do you think that could be causing problem?

modder

RAMPAGE!!!!
yes but my above slot works without any drivers.
My bottom slot doesnt. So i have to get the card RMA'd? :(
I guess so. Man this is bad, 2nd port should've worked with windows legacy VGA drivers too:-(:?:

Now did you install the latest drivers? Please do & report?

btw i have a single link dvi-d cable from my monitor. Can i insert that into the gfx cards dual link dvi port?

Then which DVI cable were you talking about previously? Did you buy a new DVI cable and using it now/currently?

Yes of course you can use the DVI cable that came with your monitor. Its compatible.

Also try one thing:
Use the DVI to VGA converter/adapter, connect the monitor using vga cable that came with you monitor. See if the 2nd DVI port gives display when converted to VGA. Might not work... still.

my mobo has onboard gfx. (H67)
So do you think that could be causing problem?

Can't you disable Intel onboard GFX/IGP from BIOS, then see?
After that, when running on ATI GFX, uninstall Intel GFX drivers and see...

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you updated the drivers? The single link cable is capable of outputting @ 19x12, so I don't think cable is the problem. Moreover, for a single monitor there should not be any problem at all. If you have a VGA cable and DVI to VGA adapter, see if its working in both ports or not.

OP
Cool Comps

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
Can't you disable onboard GFX from BIOS, then see?

How to? n00b qs i know

Then which DVI cable were you talking about previously? Did you buy a new DVI cable and using it now/currently?

Yes of course you can use the DVI cable that came with your monitor. Its compatible.

Also try one thing:
Use the DVI to VGA converter/adapter, connect the monitor using vga cable that came with you monitor. See if the 2nd DVI port gives display when converted to VGA. Might not work... still.

I was using a vga cable with dvi to vga adapter.
I will try with dvi cable now

BTW i am scared to install the new drivers . What if they mess up my comp again??

Last edited:

modder

RAMPAGE!!!!
BTW i am scared to install the new drivers . What if they mess up my comp again??

You were using vga cable all this time?

And you still haven't installed the new drivers yet :x New drivers won't harm pc components... and you can reinstall win7 64 anytime if you run into trouble.

----------------------------
I'm not familiar with h67 bios... still see (these are all present in the mobo manual):

BIOS > Configuration > Video

Primary Video Adapter
• Auto
• Int Graphics (IGD)
• Ext PCIe Graphics (PEG)
• Ext PCI Graphics
• Manual

Allows selecting a specific video controller as the display device that will be active when the system boots. Options may vary depending on your configuration

Select Ext PCIe... (PEG)
if you ever want to return to intel gfx select IGD

------------------------------------------
BIOS > Configuration > Video

Integrated Graphics Device
• Enable if Primary
• Always Enable
• Always Disable

Enable if Primary: Integrated Graphics Device (IGD) is disabled if not selected as the Primary Video Adaptor
Always Enable: IGD is always enabled, even if not selected as the Primary Video Adaptor.
Always Disable: IGD is always disabled, even if there are no other video devices installed.

Select 'Always Disable'
if you ever want to return to intel gfx select 'enable if primary' if < doesn't work select always enable
----------------------
After disabling>boot into safe mode>uninstall intel gfx from cpanel if entry present/device manager

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was using a vga cable with dvi to vga adapter.
I will try with dvi cable now

That VGA cable might just be the problem. I know for certain mobos with DVI port VGA adapters are a strict no-no. And regarding driver installation first uninstall the drivers by going to Control Panel >> Programs & Features and search for Ati catalyst install manager. restart. then install the new drivers by double-clicking the file you have downloaded.

Top Bottom