Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
My harddisk has developed bad clusters, which has considerably reduced the speed of my computer. I know that bad clusters cannot be removed, but is there any software which can mark the Bad Sectors and seperate them out so that they are not used by the programs on my PC

sms_solver

In the zone
use scandisk to mark bad sectors. if bad sectors are localized then make partitions and do not use the partition that has bad sectors

OP
jamesbond007

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Yes I did use scandisk, but the prob is that the bad clusters are at irregular places and if I go on to create partitions leaving the bad clusters , I would end up creating atleast 100 partitions!!!!!!

pirates1323

In the zone
jamesbond007 said:
My harddisk has developed bad clusters, which has considerably reduced the speed of my computer. I know that bad clusters cannot be removed, but is there any software which can mark the Bad Sectors and seperate them out so that they are not used by the programs on my PC
use scan disk in through mode..........

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
if i aint mistaken , bad sectors can also be shown , because of corrupt data or fat . like the time i had first quater of my disk brand new 120gb showing up as bad sector . just took the manufactureres disk utilities and ran a couple of test and then bad sectors were gone and hdd is fine now .

i would suggest u take a backup of all ur data and then run the manufactureres utilies to test the hdd . usually there are two modes , one is non-destructive and other destructive . if u have too much info and cant backup , run the non-destructive tests and recovery of bad sectors , else after backing up run write zeros to drive .
most cases formatting disk again will improve its condition . plus physically remove the disk and clean it of dust , so as to reduce the temp of hdd too

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Use spinrite. It will mark the bad sectors and also try and move the data from the badsectors to unallocated spce. Secondly this should solve your problem of partitions as data will not allocated on the bad sector.

magnet

Youngling
my 6 months old samsung 80 gb disk is showing badf sectors.........can i replace it????????its warranty ends in 2007

Charley

Just Do It
sms_solver said:
use scandisk to mark bad sectors. if bad sectors are localized then make partitions and do not use the partition that has bad sectors

But if it detected as BAD then the hard disk will be of no use if its at different places on the drive .......

:?

sumitava_b

In the zone
magnet said:
my 6 months old samsung 80 gb disk is showing badf sectors.........can i replace it????????its warranty ends in 2007

Offcourse, Man. Otherwise why is that warranty for? :roll:

And its better if u ask ur vendor this same question....

sumitava_b

In the zone
magnet said:

Any how, magnet, why did you double post it?

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21942

magnet

Youngling
mr sumit i posted this question ard a day or 2 bak....no one answered and i was thinking to go to the place this sat.....its urgent and since no one was answering...i posted a topic......so atlest i can get 1 reply

premrajeev

Journeyman
most probably, if u r going to use the utility which comes with the drive, it's gonna scan, mark and hide ur bad sectors. Doesnt mean the drive is physically ok. but still u can use it with no fear of losing data. But if the bad clusters seems to be incerasing in number, u must back up and consider trashing ur drive for a new one..

magnet

Youngling
my vendor is an idiot.....i wont go again there.....i deal directly with the service centre guy...i hopely will go coming saturday.....ill calll a day bak.......

they check disk probs only at saturday...ill let u guys know

Dipen01

Youngling
hey ...

dont worry..

new smasung HDD comes with 5 yrs warranty... i got my 40 GB PATA in early 2001... before a week..it just crashed..and after restarting...HDD wasnt being detected and there was a noise coming from it...

i just shown it to Service Centre..they took it (No Bill , No name)..and i got a new 40 GB in 3 days...

to my surprise it is a slimmer one ( yeah was sad as lost my good collection)...

so do just one thing show it to proper service centre...

Cheers..
Dipen

magnet

Youngling
dipen wht the service guy told u abt the prob???.......becoz i also faced same prob.........but directly checking the pins...1 pin was a 1-2mm inside...and he told pin is damage....on wall there was a big samsung banner which told pin damages r xcluded frm warranty...he took 750 bucks to giv me a brand new 80gb disk....

Dipen01

Youngling
hey there...

Actualy i didnt met the service guy in person...there was a lady assistant (clerk)..who used to take HDD , write serial nos. and give us reciept..

so i gave her HDD...i told her that my HDD is being detected and making noise..(though she was not interested)... then she told me to enquire after 2 days..

i did on 3rd day..and she said..my HDD is ready...when i asked her what was the prob.. she said she had no idea...

BTW who cares.. i got the new slim piece... and yeah i think that these guys dont replace HDD if got physical damage...i gues.. am not sure.. but will suggest u too check out..

Cheers..
Dipen

premrajeev

Journeyman
hey warrenty services of both Seagate and samsung are good. Samsung's replacement is faster -Seagate will take around a week if needs repacement..

But who will pay for the data which is lost ????
For most of us, backing up 80 gb's of data is a huge task..and data lost will be more valuable than the cost of hdd..

Dipen01

Youngling
premrajeev said:
hey warrenty services of both Seagate and samsung are good. Samsung's replacement is faster -Seagate will take around a week if needs repacement..

But who will pay for the data which is lost ????
For most of us, backing up 80 gb's of data is a huge task..and data lost will be more valuable than the cost of hdd..

UR rite buddy... what abt backup..?? this happened to me third time..once i was partitioning and there was power faliure.. all data lost.. cant help..even recovery softs were unable to recover anything...

thats why am planning to buy DVD-RW so atleast i can back up imp collection....

anywys...

Cheers..
Dipen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom