Hi, I want to know if its sensible to backup the AppData and application Data folder. I do not feel/understand the need to backup these two folders. Please suggest if I should backup them and a reason to do so.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you should because as the name suggests these folders contain data for various programs including settings,history etc.though these folders are quite large(in terms of various subfolders & files inside) & not all of them are required but it is hard & time consuming to figure out what is needed & what is not so i suggest backing up the entire C drive using image backup as this will automatically include these folders.if you are thinking about backing up these folders using some kind of file/folder backup software(not drive image backup) then i recommend against it.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
you should because as the name suggests these folders contain data for various programs including settings,history etc.though these folders are quite large(in terms of various subfolders & files inside) & not all of them are required but it is hard & time consuming to figure out what is needed & what is not so i suggest backing up the entire C drive using image backup as this will automatically include these folders.if you are thinking about backing up these folders using some kind of file/folder backup software(not drive image backup) then i recommend against it.
I'm using CrashPlan to backup the data. SO, what is it that I should backup those two folders if making a system image and not if I'm using a backup program?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you are making a system image these folders get included by default.if you don't mind the time taken to upload then backup these folders on crashplan.in my opinion though cloud backup services are only secondary to local storage devices so i suggest making a system image & save it locally.also these folders keep changing continuously because of programs usage so a better & much less time consuming option would be to backup only those folders you need.e.g.most people need their browsers history & settings,torrent software history & settings etc so save only these folders within appdata & applications data folder.use google to find out which folders are used by which program to store such data you want to backup.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
^ alright. One thing, crashplan is an offline backup system. For online storage, crashplan plus comes into plan (not free).

^ alright. One thing, crashplan is an offline backup system. For online storage, crashplan plus comes into plan (not free).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
alright.if you are not using online storage then why not try the most recommended ones like macrium free,paragon free,easeus todo free etc.

Top Bottom