Backing Up Microsoft Outlook MailBox

buddyram

New Voyage
I want to format my windows drive in order to remove weird/unscrupulous softwares. Is there any way to back up the Mails residing in Microsoft Outlook, so that i can restore it while after i install the OS again!!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There definitely is a way to do this.
You will have to create a PST file, and transfer all your mails into them. Then you can backup the PST file, in a secured location.

After you install windows again, you will have to attach the PST file to your Outlook again.

I can write detailed steps if would like.

OP
buddyram

buddyram

New Voyage
Hi Vineet369

Please do illustrate me with the complete steps so that i could take the backup accordingly.

There definitely is a way to do this.
You will have to create a PST file, and transfer all your mails into them. Then you can backup the PST file, in a secured location.

After you install windows again, you will have to attach the PST file to your Outlook again.

I can write detailed steps if would like.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First of all you need to go to, File->Data File Management and Add a pst file. Select the location where file to be created, on a drive which has a reasonable amount of size.
Then you will see that PST you just created under Right hand side, in All Mail Items panel.
Now just create a copy of folders from Main Inbox and Send Items etc to the New PST you just created.

After all mails have been transferred you can save the PST you created in a secured location such as External Drive.

The actual steps of this procedure depends on the version of Office you have. But the PST which is created, you can reattach through Data File Management in any office, after formatting.

Caution: Please take care, that all the mails have been successfully transferred, and that you have backed up that PST you created properly. And then proceed with the re-installation of Windows.
You can also, create multiple PST to keep the mails of different folders. Don't create a heavy PST file, of multiple GB's. You can check what size the PST is, by right clicking the name of PST, and clicking last option, "Properties" and then clicking Folder Size.

Please don't blame me, if something goes wrong. Since transfering mails take some time, and if its interrupted, PST can become damage, and then won't be able to re-attach to Outlook later on. So pls do your homework before attempting anything.:)

OP
buddyram

buddyram

New Voyage
Ok I will do it on my own risk

Can you plz help me out in creating the PST file, I couldn't create any such files in the 'Data File Management' Dialog Box.

First of all you need to go to, File->Data File Management and Add a pst file. Select the location where file to be created, on a drive which has a reasonable amount of size.
Then you will see that PST you just created under Right hand side, in All Mail Items panel.
Now just create a copy of folders from Main Inbox and Send Items etc to the New PST you just created.

After all mails have been transferred you can save the PST you created in a secured location such as External Drive.

The actual steps of this procedure depends on the version of Office you have. But the PST which is created, you can reattach through Data File Management in any office, after formatting.

Caution: Please take care, that all the mails have been successfully transferred, and that you have backed up that PST you created properly. And then proceed with the re-installation of Windows.
You can also, create multiple PST to keep the mails of different folders. Don't create a heavy PST file, of multiple GB's. You can check what size the PST is, by right clicking the name of PST, and clicking last option, "Properties" and then clicking Folder Size.

Please don't blame me, if something goes wrong. Since transfering mails take some time, and if its interrupted, PST can become damage, and then won't be able to re-attach to Outlook later on. So pls do your homework before attempting anything.:)

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First you must click Edit in the above post, and edit the double post which you have created!

Now pls tell me, whats your Office version? 2003, 2007 or 2010?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
This should get you started:

How-To Create PST Files Using Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007

OP
buddyram

buddyram

New Voyage
hi vineet

I have created a PST file named GMail accordingly.

I want to clarify one thing from you, should i move the PST file to another drive from C drive(as i am going to format C drive), if so, then how should i retrieve the same file again back to MS Outlook later!

This should get you started:

How-To Create PST Files Using Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
hi vineet

I have created a PST file named GMail accordingly.

I want to clarify one thing from you, should i move the PST file to another drive from C drive(as i am going to format C drive), if so, then how should i retrieve the same file again back to MS Outlook later!

Wait!!? What! Did you said, Gmail?
So have you set GMail with your outlook? Can't you re-download all GMail's mails, after a fresh install? Why do you need to back it up?

Anyway if you DO need to back up mail, in case you are skeptical about Google's service, then you can follow below steps.
Yes, you need to move the PST file to another drive. And after you perform a format of original drive, and reinstall Outlook, you just need to attach the PST file as:
  1. On the File menu, point to Open, and then click Outlook Data File.
  2. Click the .pst file you want to open, and then click OK.

Source: Reconnect your old Outlook data file - Outlook - Microsoft Office

OP
buddyram

buddyram

New Voyage
Yes, as you said i can re-download the mails from GMail, but i thought it would be a tedious job, so instead i chose to take the backup.

Thanks for your valuable guidance!

Wait!!? What! Did you said, Gmail?
So have you set GMail with your outlook? Can't you re-download all GMail's mails, after a fresh install? Why do you need to back it up?

Anyway if you DO need to back up mail, in case you are skeptical about Google's service, then you can follow below steps.
Yes, you need to move the PST file to another drive. And after you perform a format of original drive, and reinstall Outlook, you just need to attach the PST file as:
  1. On the File menu, point to Open, and then click Outlook Data File.
  2. Click the .pst file you want to open, and then click OK.

Source: Reconnect your old Outlook data file - Outlook - Microsoft Office

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, yeah, backup is actually more logical choice, if the size of your mails had run into many GB's.
All the best. And do post, if you'd got successful in achieving what you wanted.

OP
buddyram

buddyram

New Voyage
ThanX

I reconfigured Microsoft Outlook and moved the mails back to my inbox which was exceeding 1 GB.

Well, yeah, backup is actually more logical choice, if the size of your mails had run into many GB's.
All the best. And do post, if you'd got successful in achieving what you wanted.

Top Bottom