Bachelors Degree in Germany Or Switzerland

mohityadavx

Youngling
Hi!

My Chachu has come today from Germany and he is doing his masters from Ostwestfalen-Lippe University of Applied Sciences.

He is suggesting me to do my bachelors from Germany Or Switzerland as education is free and it only cost 4 lakh per year and also engg. is there for only 3 years instead of 4 years. I prefer doing engg in CS or IT

So guys please help me out.

Tell me anything and everything u know about education in Germany or Switzerland links, websites , places nearby gurgaon etc.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I think it's easier to get admission abroad.You would need to show your proficiency in English by giving some exams, most probably TOEFL.

In a nutshell:

Pros:
You would get international exposure.
Quality of education could be better than some private engineering college in India.

Cons :
Indians are mostly discriminated abroad. Check with other Indian students at the concerned college.

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
I think it's easier to get admission abroad.You would need to show your proficiency in English by giving some exams, most probably TOEFL.

In a nutshell:

Pros:
You would get international exposure.
Quality of education could be better than some private engineering college in India.

Cons :
Indians are mostly discriminated abroad. Check with other Indian students at the concerned college.

I said my uncle (chacha) is already there so no case of discimination over there.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
My only advice is not to consult any agent for admission abroad no matter how tempting offers they might give. Your uncle could help you. Just make sure that you select the right course.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Also, almost zero college(s) in these countries compete with DCE or NIT or IIIT level engg colleges in India.

If you get the top most college there you would at most probably have the value of Jaypee or IP University or even a decent UPTU level college.

Don't compare this to Top 100 US colleges or even acceptable UK colleges!

And IMO 12 lacs on such a degree is a waste.

Do your education over here, invest those 12L and invest in another few lacs and then go for a decent MBA abroad with the 30-50 lacs you compounded over the 4-7 years!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^thanks for the info about education quality. I guess US and UK are the best for abroad education.

What about Australia and other Asian countries ?

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
@OP : Why don't you try for NIT's in India? I believe you have also attempted JEE and AIEEE? You won't need to shell out 12 lakhs for studying in an IIT or NITs. Many foreigners flock to India to pursue their higher education. Really, our syllabus is the best however the only bottleneck is teaching.
What about Australia and other Asian countries ?

UNSW is good university but a BIG NO to Australia.

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
Also, almost zero college(s) in these countries compete with DCE or NIT or IIIT level engg colleges in India.

If you get the top most college there you would at most probably have the value of Jaypee or IP University or even a decent UPTU level college.

Don't compare this to Top 100 US colleges or even acceptable UK colleges!

And IMO 12 lacs on such a degree is a waste.

Do your education over here, invest those 12L and invest in another few lacs and then go for a decent MBA abroad with the 30-50 lacs you compounded over the 4-7 years!

Man u r only partially correct. Germany is not as good as US or UK but not even that bad u r thinking i. Its my option to go to Germany only if i don't get into IIT ,NIT , BITS etc

As per germany colleges compared to UPTU college university Ranking u r completel wrong Worldwide ranking OF IIT MIT etc

Also if anyone is interested I am leaving a link here i found to help him

LInk

link

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Man u r only partially correct. Germany is not as good as US or UK but not even that bad u r thinking i. Its my option to go to Germany only if i don't get into IIT ,NIT , BITS etc

As per germany colleges compared to UPTU college university Ranking u r completel wrongWorldwide ranking OF IIT MIT etc

Also if anyone is interested I am leaving a link here i found to help him

LInk

link
Please do not bias the results solely on the basis of web pages. You see, in most of the cases, the institute pays for the ranking. You should not trust any information that you see on the internet unless you know the source very well. And I would like to tell you that Many students from Germany and Switzerland appear for IIT-JEE. Why do they choose not to study at their country?

Also, If you are trying to pursue a course in the said university which is different from your Uncle's you better check with the ex-students.

I further would like to add that you cannot in any way compare universities. "Top 100" "Top 50"" You are comparing on the basis of what? Infrastructure? Faculty? Students ? Alumni ?
If a college meets your needs then it is good. You should not go by rankings. Remember Ambani never passed class X and Bill Gates dropped out from college. It does not matter which college you study, for it is only an institution, it matters what you learn.

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
Please do not bias the results solely on the basis of web pages. You see, in most of the cases, the institute pays for the ranking. You should not trust any information that you see on the internet unless you know the source very well. And I would like to tell you that Many students from Germany and Switzerland appear for IIT-JEE. Why do they choose not to study at their country?

Also, If you are trying to pursue a course in the said university which is different from your Uncle's you better check with the ex-students.

I further would like to add that you cannot in any way compare universities. "Top 100" "Top 50"" You are comparing on the basis of what? Infrastructure? Faculty? Students ? Alumni ?
If a college meets your needs then it is good. You should not go by rankings. Remember Ambani never passed class X and Bill Gates dropped out from college. It does not matter which college you study, for it is only an institution, it matters what you learn.

u r correct

but also see the fact its only IIT JEE which they appear for not for normal engg college as IIT has the grant that it can pay u good chunk for ur project same goes for good german college . Most of the private institutes in India wouldn't spend much on infrastructure nor much on grant for ur project and i never said that I have to go to Germany no matter what.

I said above in my post its only a backup plan if i don't get good college in India as one thing is for sure i won't drop one year

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
The thing is that if you study for UPTU you may or may not get a job, and avg job is like 10-20k pm cash in hand. If you go to Germany, you will be jobless with a UPTU degree.

If you study from Germany's top engg colleges, you may get a lower/low-mid job in Germany. But when you come to India, you will still get the 15-20k pm cash in hand job at best! And getting a job won't be that easy either, you may not get one very soon actually.

So if you have to work in India, whether you study from IPU or a Germany college, both are pretty bad and in some cases IPU may even be better.

If you need to go abroad for engg, US it is. Top 50 US colleges and no worse. And be ready to shell upwards of 1 cr for that. Other than top 50 US colleges, there may be some 10 odd colleges scattered throughout the world and they too will cost 40-70L total!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
If you need to go abroad for engg, US it is. Top 50 US colleges and no worse. And be ready to shell upwards of 1 cr for that. Other than top 50 US colleges, there may be some 10 odd colleges scattered throughout the world and they too will cost 40-70L total!

1 cr ? Doesn't MS cost about 24-40 lacs ? Bachelors degree must cost similar.

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
The thing is that if you study for UPTU you may or may not get a job, and avg job is like 10-20k pm cash in hand. If you go to Germany, you will be jobless with a UPTU degree.

If you study from Germany's top engg colleges, you may get a lower/low-mid job in Germany. But when you come to India, you will still get the 15-20k pm cash in hand job at best! And getting a job won't be that easy either, you may not get one very soon actually.

So if you have to work in India, whether you study from IPU or a Germany college, both are pretty bad and in some cases IPU may even be better.

first of all i cant understand why u think german college of such low rep > US i can't go i have relatives in UK also i am thinking of there also do suggest some good technical colleges and also the expenditure per annum as i have heard UK is damnright expensive

I eliminated Oxford , Cambridge as they don't give admission o CBSE student

I eliminated London University as London is expensive and they don't offer engg degree

What about University of Manchester ,University of Glasgow ,University of Loughborough, University of Birmingham etc

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
u r correct

but also see the fact its only IIT JEE which they appear for not for normal engg college as IIT has the grant that it can pay u good chunk for ur project same goes for good german college . Most of the private institutes in India wouldn't spend much on infrastructure nor much on grant for ur project and i never said that I have to go to Germany no matter what.

I said above in my post its only a backup plan if i don't get good college in India as one thing is for sure i won't drop one year

Based on what I have observed, it is better to get a masters from abroad rather than bachelor's.
Do you think spending 12 Lakhs on a German college is good for you? Take into account social factors as well.
Most companies in India prefer graduates from India. In fact, many have reservations for Indian Graduates. It depends from company to company though.
Ask yourself these questions :
1. What discipline would I be graduating in ? Software Engineering, Processor Architecture, etc etc.
2. Will I be looking for Job in India or Abroad
3. If looking for a job in abroad, which country?
4. Does the college have placement opportunities?

I eliminated Oxford , Cambridge as they don't give admission o CBSE student
Where did you hear this from? :shock:
My friend who has completed +2 from CBSE is pursuing his higher education from Cambridge.

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
Based on what I have observed, it is better to get a masters from abroad rather than bachelor's.
Do you think spending 12 Lakhs on a German college is good for you? Take into account social factors as well.
Most companies in India prefer graduates from India. In fact, many have reservations for Indian Graduates. It depends from company to company though.
Ask yourself these questions :
1. What discipline would I be graduating in ? Software Engineering, Processor Architecture, etc etc.
2. Will I be looking for Job in India or Abroad
3. If looking for a job in abroad, which country?
4. Does the college have placement opportunities?

Where did you hear this from? :shock:
My friend who has completed +2 from CBSE is pursuing his higher education from Cambridge.

Thats what i am researching for I will contact DAAD and my school counsellor ( Since she won't lye as her counselling is free for school students) once i give AIEEE.

Also I have heard German Engg is of top notch level specially in automobile and i don't think US and UK are end of the world.

ur friend must be doing masters or was she exceptionally genius this fact was told to me in a seminar conducted at my school for studies in UK by a spokesperson from London University

As per the money factor most of people talking about here

Many private college in India charge 2lakh p.a. many example in Delhi NCR also with not so good rep add 1 more lakh for accomodation. 4 years degree in india = 12 lakh in Germany 3 year degree = 12 lakh

At the end all i wanna say is i will give AIEEEE on 1st and till i calculate my marks Germany is only a backup option nothing else

Thanks akshayt and the conqueror for replying constantly plz don't think i am oppsoed to ur ideas in fact i am taking them seriously so keep on posting it won't go in vain i assure u

Last edited:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
AFAIK Cambridge and Oxford do take from CBSE, but please confirm though.

Other than top 5-6 UK colleges rest are crap and UK isn't even close to USA for engg.

As far as german enggers are concerned, they will probably be Ivy grads and perhaps even located in their US office or at least grads of top global colleges rather than German grads.

Without any financial waiver, MS usually costs around 50-80 lacs for 2 years all inc. However, bachelors usually costs around 1-1.4 cr because it is for 4 years. So 80 lacs to 1 cr is a must.

And honestly your MS or MBA matters a lot more so rather save for that instead.

If you want to get a job in India, then anything less than world's top 50-100 colleges and you will find it hard to find a job. And even if you do, it won't be more than 10-20k pm.

The UK colleges which mentioned are crap and not okay if you want to spend more than 5-10 lacs for your grad, and those colleges will cost several times the amount. They are lower than the DCE mark if you come back to India.

I would say go for DU or Law or Business or whatever top college you get, engg need not be it. Other better colleges are really good too and easier to get into

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
AFAIK Cambridge and Oxford do take from CBSE, but please confirm though.

Other than top 5-6 UK colleges rest are crap and UK isn't even close to USA for engg.

As far as german enggers are concerned, they will probably be Ivy grads and perhaps even located in their US office or at least grads of top global colleges rather than German grads.

Without any financial waiver, MS usually costs around 50-80 lacs for 2 years all inc. However, bachelors usually costs around 1-1.4 cr because it is for 4 years. So 80 lacs to 1 cr is a must.

And honestly your MS or MBA matters a lot more so rather save for that instead.

If you want to get a job in India, then anything less than world's top 50-100 colleges and you will find it hard to find a job. And even if you do, it won't be more than 10-20k pm.

The UK colleges which mentioned are crap and not okay if you want to spend more than 5-10 lacs for your grad, and those colleges will cost several times the amount. They are lower than the DCE mark if you come back to India.

I would say go for DU or Law or Business or whatever top college you get, engg need not be it. Other better colleges are really good too and easier to get into

Dear Akshayt thanx again for replying

My Dad will kill me if i won't do engg however i am convincing him hard to let me do LAW and somehow managed to convince him to let me appear for CLAT.(Lets hope for the best) . AIEEE is still there so till then Germany is out of question.

What about DU are there any good course which offer direct placement as i am expecting good marks in CBSE.I have heard Eco honours is good.

Why they are allowing me to go outside let me tell u the real reason first of all germany is inexpensive and second my dad is a buisnessman so if i go outside his company could sponsor me and show me as a liability which will lead to tax redemption so in the end it will become as cheap as indian studies).

Last edited:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Any good college and course in du is worth it and can get decent placements
Top tier srcc stephens sscbs (bbs)
Tier2 hindu hansranj venki kirorimal
Law nd barch etc too

If you wanna do law go for it it is more interesting nd pays much more too if you end up at the top

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Thats what i am researching for I will contact DAAD and my school counsellor ( Since she won't lye as her counselling is free for school students) once i give AIEEE.

Also I have heard German Engg is of top notch level specially in automobile and i don't think US and UK are end of the world.

ur friend must be doing masters or was she exceptionally genius this fact was told to me in a seminar conducted at my school for studies in UK by a spokesperson from London University

As per the money factor most of people talking about here

Many private college in India charge 2lakh p.a. many example in Delhi NCR also with not so good rep add 1 more lakh for accomodation. 4 years degree in india = 12 lakh in Germany 3 year degree = 12 lakh

At the end all i wanna say is i will give AIEEEE on 1st and till i calculate my marks Germany is only a backup option nothing else

Thanks akshayt and the conqueror for replying constantly plz don't think i am oppsoed to ur ideas in fact i am taking them seriously so keep on posting it won't go in vain i assure u

No buddy, my friend was just a modest performer in his board exams..he scored 90% in his 12th.
I don't think they downrightly reject CBSE students...
Aptitude is important.

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
Any good college and course in du is worth it and can get decent placements
Top tier srcc stephens sscbs (bbs)
Tier2 hindu hansranj venki kirorimal
Law nd barch etc too

If you wanna do law go for it it is more interesting nd pays much more too if you end up at the top

yup i am intersted in law

actually there are two role model in my family both are my cousin

Cosuin1:- IIT Delhi Chemical engg work for schlumberger makes tonnes of moolah

Cousin2:- Took humanities then did law now is a judge in Courts of Delhi (Regular transfer frm one court to another ) will become justice in 2012

My father likes Cousin1 more and i like Cousin2 more after all at the end of the day respect pays

Top Bottom