avoding overheat releted problem.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
What do you mean the file is bound to be corrupted. You never mentioned that you had an actual problem with overheating and that it was causing lockups or data corruption. So, I don't know why the file should turn out corrupted. I downloaded the entire thing just to be sure, and it works just fine. :?

swatkat said:
i think MBM has a problem with reading temperature of CPU...when i was using it, it was always warning me of high temp, whereas my BIOS showed normal temps......
may it does not read correctly from LM 78 or LM 79 motherboard chips which sense the temperatures...
BIOS alos uses these same chips to read out temperature info, so theoritically both should be same.....

Maybe MBM has been set to read the wrong diode (accidentally or maybe it auto-configured itself wrongly) A simple selection of the various diodes should show up the one that displays the correct temperature in the 40-50 degree Celsius range. I still have a problem with SpeedFan that shows Temp3 at averaging between 35 and 75 degrees Celsius. There's no info on what sensor it's reading (and I am too lazy to install MBM and figure it out) but that's probably the same diode KHUBBU's MBM is reading.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
ok, maybe mbm has been configured wrongly but what about sisoft sandra. In the cpu summary it also gives 70 C - temp tooo high!

My mobo is Asrock P4i65GV.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Just read online somewhere that v1.5 of the BIOS for your mobo has "updated CPU temperature readings" - whatever that means. :D It's not uncommon for both Sandra and MBM to read the temperatures wrong. Trust me, if your computer keeps working at 70 deg. C, it would've been literally smoking by now. :D
Open MBM and go through the available motherboard diodes. MBM should try to read the temperature from the ISA 0x290 interface.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Whoa, I knew the CPU zone temperatures soar with Prescott, but 70? :shock: Strangely enough, mine never crosses the 63 mark even with Doom 3 and HL2. Doesnt the manual itself say that the max. operating temperature is 68?

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Here's what AIDA 32 gives:

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83627HF
Sensor Access ISA 290h

Temperatures
Motherboard 43 °C (109 °F)
CPU 71 °C (160 °F)
Aux 53 °C (127 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 3013 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.57 V
CPU Aux 1.71 V
+3.3 V 3.17 V
+5 V 5.08 V
+12 V 11.80 V
-12 V 1.13 V
-5 V 2.09 V
+5 V Standby 4.90 V

My P4 is not prescott.

SiSoftware Sandra:

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Speed : 2.79GHz
Performance Rating : PR3713 (estimated)
SMT Support : 2 Unit(s)
Type : Standard
Package : FC µPGA478
Rated Speed/FSB : 2800MHz / 4x 200MHz
Multiplier : 14/1x
Minimum/Maximum Multiplier : 0/1x / 14/1x
Generation : G7
Name : P4N (Northwood) Pentium 4 1.6-3.4GHz 1.5-1.6V
Revision/Stepping : 2 / 9 (9)
Stepping Mask : D1
Microcode : MU0F2921
Core Voltage Rating : 1.550V
Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 36-bit / 32-bit
Part Number : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Asset Tag : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Serial Number : To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Co-Processor (FPU)
Type : Built-in
Revision/Stepping : 2 / 9 (9)

Processor Cache(s)
Internal Data Cache : 8kB Synchronous Write-Thru (4-way sectored, 64 byte line size)
Internal Trace Cache : 12kB Synchronous Write-Thru (8-way, 64 byte line size)
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous ATC (8-way sectored, 64 byte line size)
L2 Cache Multiplier : 1/1x (2792MHz)

Upgradeability
Socket/Slot : mPGA478
Upgrade Interface : Socket 423
Supported Speed(s) : 2.81GHz+

Environment Monitor 1
Model : Winbond W83627HF ISA
Version : 2.01
Mainboard Specific Support : No

Power Rating(s)
CPU Core Power : 75W (estimated)
CPU Cooling System Thermal Resistance : 0.38C/W (estimated)

Sensors
CPU Temperature : 71.5°C / 160.7°F
Auto Fan Speed Control : No
CPU Fan Speed : 2961rpm
CPU Voltage : 1.54V

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
khubbu : did u read a posting a few posts back regarding , changing ur cabinet ??? anyways , ur cpu fan too seems to be running too slow . for amd cpu fan 4000 + rpm is normal . better switch cabinets soon

KHUBBU

Journeyman
ya sure, I'm sure going to change the cabinet, just checking if someone has got a less expensive soln.

One thing I want to ask is is it possible that I can change only the back panel of the cabinet and replace it with the one having smps at the top and a fan vent below it for cooling?

darklord

Cyborg Agent
pradeep_chauhan said:
I too want to share a solution that i have fabricated PLEASE tell me how do you guys post a picture (i have a web cam)

I would love to see what mod you have done. :wink:

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
klinux said:
for amd cpu fan 4000 + rpm is normal

Well, AMDs are more prone to operating at higher temperatures, so that's not really a surprise there.

In Khubbu's case, the sensors being read are the right ones, and this is one of the first times I'm seeing a Northwood push 70 degrees. I don't know if you can replace the back panel alone. While it can be removed depending on your cabinet, I don't know if back panels are available off-the-shelf unbundled from the cabinet itself.
The best thing to do is to go for a cabinet with the arrangements you mentioned, with the SMPS on top, with space below for at least two fans and support for a fan at the front of the case. This way you can put in three fans in your system for maximum airflow for about 70 bucks. If its possible, get some Arctic Silver 2/3 paste and use it on the CPU. After I did that, my CPU operates at 53 degrees now, and doesn't overheat at all.

pradeep_chauhan said:
I too want to share a solution that i have fabricated PLEASE tell me how do you guys post a picture (i have a web cam)

Cool, a custom cooling solution? Water cooling based? Waiting. And what do you mean, by how do you post a picture? Just use the Capture Still function from your webcam, save the file, go to www.imageshack.us and upload the pic and it will give you a thumbnail for forums that you can just copy-paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom