Audio quality poorer in FC5 than SuSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I've got FC5 installed and I'm able to play most audio using XMMS only as of now. I'm trying out with other players, but I find the audio to be of very poor quality compared to SuSE. I used XMMS on that and the sound was as sharp as Windows on that. Could you guys please tell me if there's a fix for that? At present, I'm not able to run other players, for example, Amarok as the yum update keeps complaining about MySQL stuff(noob linux user here :D )

Please let me know if there are any ways to improve the sound quality.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Cos it's in wrong section. If you keep on posting in wrong section it is likely to go unanswered.

eddie

El mooooo
Have you ever though why your questions are going unanswered? Have you ever thought that it could be because of you or the way you ask questions? Just look at this question...Do you want us to just guess your SuSE version? Do you want us to guess your hardware setup? Do you want us to just KNOW your speaker setup? How can we help you when you just don't give us details.

You must give us more info my friend! The more you tell us about your problem...the more we will be able to help you.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

eddie said:
Have you ever though why your questions are going unanswered? Have you ever thought that it could be because of you or the way you ask questions? Just look at this question...Do you want us to just guess your SuSE version? Do you want us to guess your hardware setup? Do you want us to just KNOW your speaker setup? How can we help you when you just don't give us details.

You must give us more info my friend! The more you tell us about your problem...the more we will be able to help you.

Well, I found the quality poorer in general compared to SuSE, that's the reason I didn't post the version. My signature is my hardware setup. Speaker setup is normal 2 channel stereo. Well, I posted this a long time back and QnA should cover most of the topics right? Yes, I should have posted it in the Open Source section. My bad!

eddie

El mooooo
I have disabled the viewing of signatures thus there is no way for me to know your hardware setup. Also, even if you meant general audio quality...the version of your distro means a lot. It could be that the latest version had better drivers for your sound card, it had increased audio buffer setup etc. There can be lots of things behind it.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

I've seen the difference from FC4 to FC6 with SuSE 9.3 to SuSE 10.2. The sound quality somehow is very clear in SuSE compared to FC. That tells about the distro. My hardware setup is this:

My specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+(Socket 939 Venice core)
MSI RS-480-M2 motherboard
1X512 MB RAM @ 400Mhz(Hynix module)
Seagate 160GB SATA HDD
Samsung Combo drive
Samsung CD drive

praka123

left this forum longback
@Phreakout- u may be correct as ALSA project leader Jaroslav Kysela is also an employee of Suse Novell...so some benefeit some fine tunings and updated alsa rpms for suse is a chance:p
If fedora's got scratchy sound's,it surely be a little older alsa version that is running on FC.but u can get latest fedora rpms from many sites like atrpms.net ,dag wieers etc or configure yum for that.use alsaconf to configure properly.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
If you go to a doctor and say, "Doctor I'm not feeling well", do you expect the doctor to find your problem without your explaining anything?

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
phreak0utt said:
I've got FC5 installed and I'm able to play most audio using XMMS only as of now. I'm trying out with other players, but I find the audio to be of very poor quality compared to SuSE. I used XMMS on that and the sound was as sharp as Windows on that. Could you guys please tell me if there's a fix for that? At present, I'm not able to run other players, for example, Amarok as the yum update keeps complaining about MySQL stuff(noob linux user here :D )

Please let me know if there are any ways to improve the sound quality.

There's a way to get good sound quality. Follow these steps as you're using amarok :-
1. Open windows and install winamp
2. In the equalizer section, select suitable preset, for me its rock.
3. Click on save equalizer to a file.
4. Winamp will create a file called Rock.eqf
5. Run FC6 and then XMMS
6. Now in the equalizer section, enable equalizer and then click on "Import from Winamp eqf file"
7. Navigate to the file you stored "Rock.eqf" in windows partition.
8. Your sound quality will increase now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom