ATI gfx card is it Supported for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
I didnt know where exactly to post this thread, since its related to linux so posted in this section.

i'm buying an ATI Graphics card, and i'll use linux along with beryl, but i have heard that ATi graphics card are not supported in linux, because ATI drivers $ucks real big time... is this info correct ??? but i usually prefer to buy ATI graphics card.... plz gimmie info abt this matter:confused:

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
yes.AMD ATi cards got horrible support in Linux or any alternate OS.
but they promised that they will be producing quality drivers for Linux.but that promise...:eek:
I bought a card two weeks before.too tempted to buy an ATi one.but they lost a customer for poor linux driver support-I bought a NVIDIA 7300GT dual dvi output one.the driver quality is way better in Linux.

Last edited:
OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
praka123 said:
yes.AMD ATi cards got horrible support in Linux or any alternate OS.
but they promised that they will be producing quality drivers for Linux.but that promise...:eek:
I bought a card last week.too tempted to buy an ATi one.but they lost a customer for poor linux driver support-I bought a NVIDIA 7300GT dual dvi output one.the driver quality is way better in Linux.
then ati is losing one more customer coz of poor linux drivers :(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
For linux, best is to have an onboard Intel card. If not then any nvidia will do. If you want to go through a major head ache, go for ATI. ATI cards are supported but there are various different drivers offering different performance levels and benefits.

praka123

left this forum longback
even NVIDIA is offered two support types 2D driver from Open Source called "nv" and for full 3D support u have to get their proprietory driver.
I hope with DRI be a common platform,these two vendors(nvidia and amd) opened up their drivers or their gfx card core detail specs that open source community can provide even better drivers with a common DRI as dependency.presently intel drivers are mostly open sourced.the most horrible support for gfx card are for VIA Unichrome cards(onboard).openchrome.org is there,but that too is still at its beginnings :(

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
praka123 said:
..add VIA onboard gfx too ;)
ya... me using Unicrome IGP PRO
there state is very bad
see this bug report even after more than of year after reorting the bug to bugzilla, 48 users commenting on it & having a importance of HIGH for a long

still no fix is there:(

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
hey i have an ati x200 on borad & use ubuntu no problems their at all !!

my bro has ati x700 uses ubuntu he also has no problems...

praka123

left this forum longback
gary4gar said:
ya... me using Unicrome IGP PRO
there state is very bad
see this bug report even after more than of year after reorting the bug to bugzilla, 48 users commenting on it & having a importance of HIGH for a long

still no fix is there:(
I bought NVIDIA 7300GT because of this worst driver support for VIA :D yea i too had VIA Unichrome pro IGP onboard Asus mobo(p4m800pro).
@gary:try *openchrome.org wiki for setting drivers.dont blame Ubuntu or FOSS community for VIA's worst support for Linux.
i have tried many times and found "VESA" drivers are better!.
u can watch how many ppl are trying VIA to atleast release specs of teh gfx card.
*forums.viaarena.com/categories.aspx?catid=28&entercat=y

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
praka123 said:
I bought NVIDIA 7300GT because of this worst driver support for VIA :D yea i too had VIA Unichrome pro IGP onboard Asus mobo(p4m800pro).
@gary:try *openchrome.org wiki for setting drivers.dont blame Ubuntu or FOSS community for VIA's worst support for Linux.
i have tried many times and found "VESA" drivers are better!.
u can watch how many ppl are trying VIA to atleast release specs of teh gfx card.
*forums.viaarena.com/categories.aspx?catid=28&entercat=y
saw this *wiki.openchrome.org/pipermail/openchrome-users/2006-May/001203.html

it says "Thomas said that the unichrome part of Mesa is unmaintained. :(
"

eddie

El mooooo
praka123 said:
but they lost a customer for poor linux driver support
vish786 said:
then ati is losing one more customer coz of poor linux drivers
It is my humble request to both of you to please write this to AMD. AMD is currently deciding on what to do with Linux drivers and live examples of users like *you* would definitely push AMD towards better drivers for Linux
AMD deciding _now_ what to do about Linux

Anyone out here who preferred ATI in past but bought NVIDIA because of ATI's poor Linux support should write to them. Write to them even if you never preferred ATI but their driver support made you completely ignore them.

faraaz

Evil Genius
I'm using ATI X1650 256 MB card with Sabayon 3.3...before this, I was using PCLOS 2007...IMO, the support for ATI cards isn't THAT bad. Atleast, I was able to get Beryl working painlessly on the distro. If you want full on hardware acceleration, then I dunno...but just for getting Beryl working, ATI cards work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom