ati display driver has stopped responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Hi Guys,

Whenever I'm trying to play some games like COD6, Borderland or Fallout 3, I the monitor gets blanked and when coming back to windows, I'm getting the message "ati display driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

Currently I'm using Win 7 64 bit ultimate and Catalyst Control Center 10.3 (latest version). My GPU is HD 5770. I have done some research on it and find different opinions about it. Most of it saying Catalyst Control Center is the culprit.
Config: Phenom II 955, 2 GB Transcend C9 titanium 1333 MHz DDR3, XFX HD 5770, Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H , Seagate 1 TB

Please help me out on this issue

Krow

Crowman
There is a hotfix for these drivers, try looking for it. I haven't used it, but asigh may be able to help you better here.

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Thanks, Krow. But i think I've installed the Hotfix. It was coming also one month ago. I reinstalled my OS and plug the replugged the card properly in the PCI express slot. Then the card was working fine. Suddenly from yesterday, this problem has been coming.

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
I am using Catalyst Display Driver version 10.3 for Win 7 64 bit
Downloaded and installed the full package (size 71.6 Mb).

^ also check for viruses - as it used to happen on my notebook( however old driver), then I did a clean install of windows and reloaded the drivers - then never happened.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Ok....no issues. Try this.

1. Create a Win7 Restore point.
2. Uninstall the driver from the uninstall manager. Uninstall everything pertaining to ATI.
3. Reboot into save mode.
4. Run Driver Sweeper, and delete all remnants of ATI.
5. Run CCleaner and clean registry entries.
6. Reboot to normal mode and install the latest CCC flavor.
7. Restart.

Links:
Driver Sweeper
CCleaner

Let us know, what transpires post this.

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Guys, yesterday night I format and reinstall Win 7. The problem is still there. Probably it is some issues in my Graphics card. 1st time after reinstalling OS, I just plugged the card tightly to the PCI Express X16 slot and everything was fine. So I think it is some problem in my card.
Please let me know your opinion.

kanishka

In the books..Studying
^^

Dude i dont think so , In my current system i have Asus EAH4850 . and even i faced similar problem(exactly same error) last year running crysis warhead.. Follow the steps mentioned by asigh. That would probably help. My card became normal after reinstalling the drivers and decreasing the overclocking.

Also ,I think this generally happens when card is overheated, so if you card is overclocked manually by you then try and decrease the clock. Also checkout temps while running the game. my card used to shoot 95 C + while running game in max settings and no AA .

Let me know if problem persists , may be we could have another solution.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Guys, yesterday night I format and reinstall Win 7. The problem is still there. Probably it is some issues in my Graphics card. 1st time after reinstalling OS, I just plugged the card tightly to the PCI Express X16 slot and everything was fine. So I think it is some problem in my card.

Really sad to see you go this way. Where did I suggest a clean install. This is the last thing which should have been done. What a waste of resources. Anyways....

Is the problem still there. From you post, I cannot make out. You said problem is still there, and same line mention that all is fine. Am confused now.

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
What happened is this is the 2nd time I'm facing this issue. When I faced it 1st time, I reinstalled the OS, but the problem was still there. So I checked all the components in my mobo and plugged the card properly in the PCI express slot. After dat the problem was gone.

Now after facing the problem 2nd time, I performed the same task, Reinstalling OS and then Graphics driver and other components. But the problem is still there. So how can it be some driver or registry issue?

Probably it is some overheating problem or Graphics card issue. I have not overclocked the card this time.

Asigh and other members, please suggest something. My card is within warranty period. Is there any way to check whether the card is faulty or not? Then I will replace it.

kanishka

In the books..Studying
Well as i said , checkout the temps while running games and let us know ..Temperature can be checked through ati catalyst tool as well...

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
I guess so. Download Rivatuner, and monitor the temperatures. Run Furmark or a 3D intensive game. You should get a graph like this.
*img522.imageshack.us/img522/5561/bc2normalfanocgpu2.png

By the way, which PSU you have..?

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Asigh, I am having a Zebronics 700W platinum PSU. Ya, ya, you all r going to shout at me now, but believe me, its not for the PSU. I'm using it for 2 months now and even tested it with GTX 285.
I think I've found out the reason. Yesterday, I tested it with my friend's ASUS 5750 and everything was working fine.
My card is having default setting as 850 MHz Core clock and 1200 MHz memory clock. I reduced the core clock speed to 750 Mhz and the card is stable now, everything is working fine. Anything over 770 MHz, causes the same problem. Probably the bios of my card has been damaged or modified. Is there any way to update or fix the bios to default, like NVflash utility for ATI.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
What should be the defaults for your accelerator, and at what setting is it running stable..?

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Asigh, the degault setting of my card is 850 Mhz GPU speed and 1200 MHz Memory speed. But it is running statble at 750 Mhz GPU Clock speed. memory speed is not changed. Anything over 760 MHz causes crash(ATI Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered) while playing any games.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
What temperatures you getting on the accelerator. Let us be absolutely sure, before gunning for RMA. If it is not running at authorized speeds there is a problem. Check temperatures, like I told you. Check them with the underclock, and a 5-7 minute run on factory defaults.

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Asigh, I have checked the temp. In factory default setting (850 MHz Core and 1200 Mhz Memory), while watching movie through MPC home cinema using the GPU, temp is below or at max 41 degree C. But if I start any game, it hangs immediately, no matter what the temp is. Even at 42 degree c, it is getting hanged. But if the GPU clock is lowered to 770 MHz(Max), no problem, all the games are running even the temp is more than 50 degree.
I flashed the Bios and updated it with a new Bios from XFX. No help. Same thing is happening.
So SDhould I go for a replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom