Asus Zenphone discussion thread - Z4, z5 , z6

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
ahh the sarcasm brigade ..

Well ,it depends on the price you are looking at ..at 10k 8mp is fine ,i was lookng at a bit more higher ..and considering Z6 has a 13mp and thats in phablet category..they could have put it on Z5 ..as Z5 hits the sweet spot with size and all..which is the one most probably everyone gonna buy..they could have put it on the 16gb version for example..
and higher pixels would have helped with their pixelmaster tech which brings down the resolution for better night shots
\

looks like your wish came true

xiaomi redmi note has 13 mp for 9,999

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha nice one.

:D but xiaomi did bring 13 mp for 10k

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
it was an opinion ,not a wish..moving on
redmi is gonna be a good competitior but yeah if ASUS provides a good ASS people might stick with it..

abracadabra

Journeyman
Lol !
Faster than Moto!

Now this bloody foreign companies will never underestimate India!

Underestimate? India is, and will be at the receiving end of all craps from around the world!
If Asus, which infact enjoys a good reppo with their brand and service; dump the Intel product here instead of the Snapdragon 400 powered device?

We get bad products no matter what the other world gets and our system is so well manipulated time again and again!

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Underestimate? India is, and will be at the receiving end of all craps from around the world!
If Asus, which infact enjoys a good reppo with their brand and service; dump the Intel product here instead of the Snapdragon 400 powered device?

We get bad products no matter what the other world gets and our system is so well manipulated time again and again!

lol you serious ... ?? i would happily take a intel z2560 over Snapdragon 400 anyday... only problem would be development support but i bet that will change as well after zenfone sales

snapdragon 400 is 2nd the biggest ripoff chip of all , first is snapdragon 801

hari1

In the zone
lol you serious ... ?? i would happily take a intel z2560 over Snapdragon 400 anyday... only problem would be development support but i bet that will change as well after zenfone sales

snapdragon 400 is 2nd the biggest ripoff chip of all , first is snapdragon 801

How is the Snapdragon 400 a rip off? :-?

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
How is the Snapdragon 400 a rip off? :-?

before Snapdragon 400 at the same price last year we were getting dual core kraits and adreno 305.. Qualcomm did what mediatek does .. instead of giving a quad core krait as an upgrade they downgraded the chip by using Cortex A7 and keeping same gpu Adreno 305 that was the Msm8226 chip

the higher clocked chip the 1.6 ghz version is a much bigger rip off as it came at a price of snapdragon 600 devices... phones like t2 ultra, desire 816 , Grand 2 , were all 21-25k devices , last year at this price we had Snapdragon pro , and currently snapdragon 600 chipset in this range

So this year at the same price buying old phones was much better than buying the newer ones Performance wise ..

and they deliberately forced OEMs to use snapdragon 400 chips as they did not had any snapdragon 600 chips in mid range , and old sd pro/600 chips were discontinued..

the choice for OEM was either select Snapdragon 400 or go with snapdragon 800/801 ofcourse they couldn't use sd 800 for 25k devices so they had to settle for Sd 400

Sd 801 as you know it is just a slightly higher clocked sd800 sold at premium prices when Sd 800 could be had for at least 15k less than sd801..

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Its not Qualcomm,its actually the manufacturers that rip you off. Snapdragon 800 phone can be had for Rs 13999 and Snapdragon 400 phone can be had for Rs 6999 aka Xiaomi.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Its not Qualcomm,its actually the manufacturers that rip you off. Snapdragon 800 phone can be had for Rs 13999 and Snapdragon 400 phone can be had for Rs 6999 aka Xiaomi.
^^ xiaomi business model is very different that is why they are able to support that prices with no advertising, Marketing , limited production , No offline channels commission etc.. not right to compare it to other OEM's

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
too call 801 as a slighlty overclocked 800 would be an understatement..it is a revised version of 800 in all aspect to keep up with the market, read the links below if you havent already
AnandTech | The Difference Between Snapdragon 800 and 801: Clearing up Confusion

Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Performance Previewed

and the pricing of the phones arent determined by Qualcomm but OEMS so to call them a rip of is going too far

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
^^ xiaomi business model is very different that is why they are able to support that prices with no advertising, Marketing , limited production , No offline channels commission etc.. not right to compare it to other OEM's

I'll beg to differ here.Even if you add 25% overheads (advertsement, channel partners, endorsements etc etc) on MRP per device sold even then the final MRP wont cross 18.5K. Its the huge margins and brand equity that these companies crave for creates this bubble pricing which bursts after some months for every hiend phone released,dont they? eg How does a Galaxy S5 sold for 49K initially is being sold at Rs 36K now!!! They dont recieve Govt subsidides to do that do they? This trend is already dying. People are getting smarter.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
too call 801 as a slighlty overclocked 800 would be an understatement..it is a revised version of 800 in all aspect to keep up with the market, read the links below if you havent already
AnandTech | The Difference Between Snapdragon 800 and 801: Clearing up Confusion

Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Performance Previewed

and the pricing of the phones arent determined by Qualcomm but OEMS so to call them a rip of is going too far

lol .. and consumers were expecting Snapdragon 805

the fact is snapdragon 805 was supposed to be in galaxy S5 but qualcomm delayed it and instead rolled out a overclocked 800 and added features for 4k display and faster memory and some camera enhancement ( which was the least they could do ) sure it is revised 800 as they had to do something to save their face ..

People were expecting Adreno 420 here .. .

that is why Snapdragon 805 gets beaten by Tegra K1 because instead of nvidia , this time qualcomm is late..

Prices aren't decided by qualcomm but they know it at what price their products will be sold.. and they make Products accordingly and having monopoly they very much control the prices ..

Launch prices

top range - 700$ + ( snapdragon 800 )
mid range - 400-500 $ ( snapdragon 600 )
Low Range - 250-350$ ( snapdragon 400 )
Entry Level - 150-250$ ( snapdragon 400/200 )
Budget - everything below (snapdragon 200 )

these are the standard prices at which the smartphone industry operates i am talking about big brands here ...

even Mi3 was launched at 327 $ while nexus 5 at 350 $ .. chinese vendors have a different pricing structure their top end is what mid range for Bigger OEms.. as their margins are low

Both 801 and 400 are a rip off because i am comparing them at same prices from same Oem compared to their counterparts from Last year models..

- - - Updated - - -

I'll beg to differ here.Even if you add 25% overheads (advertsement, channel partners, endorsements etc etc) on MRP per device sold even then the final MRP wont cross 18.5K. Its the huge margins and brand equity that these companies crave for creates this bubble pricing which bursts after some months for every hiend phone released,dont they? eg How does a Galaxy S5 sold for 49K initially is being sold at Rs 36K now!!! They dont recieve Govt subsidides to do that do they? This trend is already dying. People are getting smarter.

i can't come up with a number exactly how much does the overheads are.. i think they are much more than 25 % but advertisement take away a major chunk of it plus there are taxes,service centres, Replacement Parts cost as well..

ofcourse the margins are obviously way out of proportion and that's where the money is and they are earning billions of $ every quarter

price would be around 20-25k per device including overheads and everything .. their whole window of opportunity is at launch time as they hipe it way too much and the profits on 1 device is almost 100-150 %

i think there are 2 reasons for this much price drop and trend dying

1) launch prices nowadays are already way too high reaching 50k.. 40-42k should be the standard flagship price at 60 rs per dollar

2) new versions of Mobile are launching too fast in every 6 months now

Earlier it used to be atleast 1-1.2 years gap between launches...

now if company sells s5 for 45k then at what price will they sell Galaxy F in 3 months ? so they have to bring prices down of old phones considerably to make high profits with new device

this is what is pissing off people why buy a phone at 45-50k when in only 2 months it will come down to 30-35k ..
r
earlier if one were to buy a flagship there used to be a pride look i am carrying a phone worth 50k , if one persons says that line after 4 months people would laugh saying it is only 30k.. that is why apple is still successful as their prices don't drop this fast and the pride factor remains and is still selling very strong

Specs don't matter much as 90 % of sales comes from people who know nothing about Tech and hardly read reviews and don't do comparisons

btw thats just my opinion i could be wrong as i don't have the internal data :)

Last edited:

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
Well qualcomm has to keep up with oem Demands right? as almost all big companies had a early flagship release this year (perhaps they are all planning to go the sony schedule of releasing flagship phones every 6 months) they had to do something to bridge the gap..
i think 805 was expected in Q2 2014 so i would say rather than s5, everyone expected it on lg g3
besides S4 ran on 600 so an upgrade from 600 to 801 is big..well that is all irrelevant as we have the exynos version here anyway

and the pricing ..it always has been this way if you look at Old nokia phones..there starting prices were unbelivably high and they come down when the next higher end model is released, this has always been the model..

bottom line is its all business..and its not really consumer oriented.atleast nokia had some durability :/

and Since this is a discussion about Zenphone its a good idea we stick to it from now on

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
New zenfone 4 (A450CG)- Rs 6999

Launch on 24 august midnight

4.5-inch (854 x 480 pixels) capacitive multi touch display with Corning gorilla glass 3 protection
1.2 GHz dual-core Intel Atom Z2520 processor with PowerVR SGX544 GPU
Dual SIM with dual standby (micro SIMs)
Android 4.4 (KitKat) with Zen UI
8MP rear camera with LED flash
0.3MP (VGA) front-facing camera
11.3mm thick and weighs 134g
1GB RAM, 8GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 64GB via microSD
3G HSPA+, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS
1750 mAh battery

Last edited:
Top Bottom