ASP VB Script on Apache 2.2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid_b6505

Broken In
Hi..
Can any one please help me in running ASP with VB Script on Apache Server 2.2.2. I am not able to run ASP on this server. Is there any component or module available which can support ASP on Apache.

Please help me I am in deep trouble.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Shall I assume its a Linux server? Have a look at ChiliSoft ASP by Sun. *www.sun.com/software/chilisoft/

Any specific reason for using ASP and VB Script :O VB SCript is IE's baby. FF, Opera, etc. ignores it

I guess, the better choice could be PHP and Javascript, unless this is an educational project

Last edited:

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
why do you need ff and opera to understand vbscript tuxfan? he want's it on the server side doesn't he?

Or are you saying why he needs to learn vbscript for server side only when he code for both server and client with javascript. That is what i understood I guess, but right now my mind is dense after lunch. :)Ugh: that curry was hot!!!)

tuxfan

Technomancer
ilugd said:
why do you need ff and opera to understand vbscript tuxfan? he want's it on the server side doesn't he?

Or are you saying why he needs to learn vbscript for server side only when he code for both server and client with javascript. That is what i understood I guess, but right now my mind is dense after lunch. :)Ugh: that curry was hot!!!)

lol You misunderstood what I wrote. VBSCript in pages are interpreted only by IE. FF, Opera, etc. wouldn't do that. So if you are making a web-site using VBScript, it won't run as expected in FF, Opera, etc. So its better to use Javascript :) I never said you need FF, Opera to learn VBScript.

Here's a very small primitive explanation ;)

There are two ways of generating dynamic pages:
1. Server side (PHP, ASP, etc.)
2. Client side (Javascript, VBScript, etc. Of course they have limited server side capabilities)

So at the server side PHP/ASP engine will interpret the code, generate the pages and hand it over to the browser. Now browser will look for Javascript/VBScript code and render the page on screen.

So all the VBScript code is going to come to the borwser for interpretation. Now if the browser doesn't understand it, it will be ignored. So non-IE browsers don't interpret it because VBScript is IE specific. Alternatively, Javascript is interpreted by all browsers. So its safer to use it.

Similar for PHP. It can be run on any OS. So if your site is made using PHP, you can shift servers between Linux and Windows. But if its ASP then you will be mainly restricted to Windows because under Linux (or any other OS) ASP won't work as well. Got it? :)

Phew!! Hope now I have made myself clear ;)

rohan

In the zone
for ASP, i think it's better you go with IIS and not for Apache. In case u r using linux.. well then try tuxfan's link or switch to PHP. As for VBScript, it's not server-specific so apache has no significance here. But, as tuxfan said, FF and opera ignore VBS. Time to go JS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom