Are there any AMD build experts here?, doing a AMD kaveri build need your advice

youmetube27

Right off the assembly line
1) CPU - AMD Kaveri (in the process of importing)
In the meantime I can borrow a Richland from a friend to test my setup, ;-)

2) Motherboard - A88X
Need a decent model with lots of sata3 & USB3,
I want to buy locally(for the purpose of warranty repairs if needed)
Does anyone know their availability & price in Hyderabad, India?

3) CPU cooler - will go for custom cooler, not a fan of default cooler supplied with kaveri
Guys suggest me the Best price/performance version, also the local availability in the city.

4) Cabinet - Need an air-cooled full ATX cabinet, need space for 7-8 hard-drives, needs cooling fans
Please advice the best price/performant one! Also any availability advice for buying locally.
(may or maynot have front USB3 ports, not sure depends upon MoBo..?)

5) SMPS PSU - Need 500W min - 600W max rated, 85%+ certified efficiency psu,
Needs to have 7-8 sata power cables, important.
please suggest model numbers and price.
Will be buying locally so help with local availability in shops is appreciated.

6) Are there any deals/coupons available/ongoing for any of these items,
Would appreciate it if there are any, thanks

I suppose prices will be more or less comparable in several cities, so feel
free to comment with the above items, and local availability info,

Thanks a lot guys!

OP
Y

youmetube27

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Normal day-to-day desktop + Dev environment(virtualbox, docker.io, openVZ) + media centre servers(plex, xbmc) + file server(JBOD) + Gaming (emulation, pre 2000 year games 10+ year old games retro gaming)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Approx.- MoBo-10K, CPU Cooler 2-4K, PSU-SMPS 2-5K, Cabinet-3-6K, Budget is not fixed looking for good pricing

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Linux, with Open Source AMD drivers

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Already purchased not part of build.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Already purchased not part of build

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: hard-drives, SSD, CPU, RAM, monitor, KB, Mouse,

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: As soon as I can identify components and their price and local availability, so immediately

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Have build before, have all the tools, thermal compound etc.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Hyderabad, India. Want to buys MoBo locally for warranty. Ready to buy online if no other viable choice.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: See first post for more info

Cheers!!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
which cpu do you have? have you already bought it?
which ram do you have?
which monitor do you have?

When mentioning you budget, mention just the total cash you are willing to spend, don't post partitioned budget.

MSI A88XM-E35 (5800)
Cooler Master Hyper 101 (1400)
Antec VP450P (2700)
Deepcool Tesseract (2700)

total: 12,600

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
MSI A88XM-E35 -5900,
Cooler Master Hyper 103 -1800,
Seasonic S12II-520 -5100,
Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 -4600.
TOTAL -17,400.

Go to Arun Computers or Shwetha Computers in CTC,Secunderabad and ask for a discount on the total price.
In Arun ask for Mr.Ramu and in Shwetha ask for Mr.Moolchand.Ok.

OP
Y

youmetube27

Thank you for the valuable suggestions,
some of the suggestions could use your further inputs

1) 7-8 Drives (sata2/3) will be in the system
So MSI A88XM-E35 (5800) cannot be considered as it only has 6 ports
(Also hesitant as it has only 2 RAM ports,
I've experienced RAM slots going bad in the past good to have 4 standard so)

Also the case suggestion, Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 -4600
Manufac. website specs say
Case Drive Bays (x3) 3.5in [whereas needed are (x7+) 3.5in drive bays]
That case looks very beautiful.

The Deepcool Tesseract looks to fit the disks requirement so is being considered, need to find availability

2) PSU , Both 450W & 520W suggestions are acceptable,
Worried about 7-8 Sata power connections, would like to avoid molex-2-sata convertors if possible
Any ideas guys?
VP450P has 4 sata connectors only, seasonic one 6, if it had more sata connectors I would not need to go above 500W range to choose a psu

Cheers!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
you can have a set up similar to this.

*i.imgur.com/qz0rJyp.jpg

are you sure you dont wanna overclock a kaveri apu at-least later? if no, then the suggested cooler is enough. else get something better makes sense.

consider this mobo *www.theitdepot.com/amd/product_Asus-A88X-PLUS-64GB-DDR3-AMD-Motherboard_P21395.html . this has 8 sata ports out of the box :)

for the psu, seasonic gets my vote. opt for s12ii 520.you can have a look at antec gx 700 for the cabinet.

Cilus

laborare est orare
For Motherboard, get the Asus A88XM-A motherboard @ 6.7K (*www.snapdeal.com/product/asus-a88xma-indias-first-fm2/1607010558)

OP
Y

youmetube27

you can have a set up similar to this.

*i.imgur.com/qz0rJyp.jpg

are you sure you dont wanna overclock a kaveri apu at-least later? if no, then the suggested cooler is enough. else get something better makes sense.

consider this mobo *www.theitdepot.com/amd/product_Asus-A88X-PLUS-64GB-DDR3-AMD-Motherboard_P21395.html . this has 8 sata ports out of the box :)

for the psu, seasonic gets my vote. opt for s12ii 520.you can have a look at antec gx 700 for the cabinet.

1) Is this your setup? looks sweet!
I can read seasonic psu but can't make out model no., which model is it? how many sata power cables?
2) Is that a raid card? or just a pci sata card?
3) Which cabinet is this? (You suggest antec gx 700, the the picture looks different yes?)
4) While I may not overclock, I am still interested in a better cooler? so which cooler is being used in this setup, is it kaveri compatible? Does the cooler need full ATX only, (or how big is it?)
5) I like the mobo you pointed out, thanks!

Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

For Motherboard, get the Asus A88XM-A motherboard @ 6.7K (*www.snapdeal.com/product/asus-a88xma-indias-first-fm2/1607010558)

Yeah, it is a very nice MoBo, but has too few sata ports, so it does not meet my requirement.
But thank you anyway!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
1) Is this your setup? looks sweet!

nope. it is not mine. got it from internet. i guess from TDF itself!!

I can read seasonic psu but can't make out model no., which model is it? how many sata power cables?

seasonic s12ii 520. it has 6 sata cables. you will have to use molex converters if you wanna connect more hdd.

2) Is that a raid card? or just a pci sata card?

dont think it is raid. i dont know.

3) Which cabinet is this? (You suggest antec gx 700, the the picture looks different yes?)

probably an nzxt source 210/210 elite. i just pointed out this picture because you can have a similar setup even if your mobo lacks enough sata ports. antec gx700 looks different.

4) While I may not overclock, I am still interested in a better cooler? so which cooler is being used in this setup, is it kaveri compatible? Does the cooler need full ATX only, (or how big is it?)

you can consider hyper 212x.

Cilus

laborare est orare
For serious overclocking, you need something more powerful, something like DeepCool Ice Blde pro or Assassin. This is because the cooler needs to cool down both CPU and a GPU with 512 stream processors.

Top Bottom