Are products like AVerTV Box PVR substitues for DVR?

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Hi guys, I was just going through the newspaper the other day and I saw an ad for this product called 'AVerTV Box PVR'. I read its features and found out that it was very similar to my current Airtel Digital TV DVR, which I am using right now. I am thinking of getting rid of my Airtel DVR because it does not have any USB support but AVerTV Box PVR has USB support as well.

I am not very much knowledgeable about this product or its capabilities. Can someone of your guide me and answer my following questions:

1) Can this product work as an alternative for my current airtel DVR?

2) What if I use this product with a normal set top box, will it provide me the facility to record even if my set top box is not a DVR?

3) If it is worth replacing then what all other products like this AVerTV Box PVR are available in the market which belong to a better brand and are slightly cheaper?

NiluGeek

Broken In
Aver TV Box PVR is not a substitute for a DVR which has broadcasting facility, the only advantage of Aver PVR over Airtel DVR is that you can record content on your USB or hard disk and take it along with you any where and most imp you can play it on any other PC.

Maintain your Set up as it is now as Aver PVR does not have a broadcasting facility.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Aver TV Box PVR is not a substitute for a DVR which has broadcasting facility, the only advantage of Aver PVR over Airtel DVR is that you can record content on your USB or hard disk and take it along with you any where and most imp you can play it on any other PC.

Maintain your Set up as it is now as Aver PVR does not have a broadcasting facility.

Yeah, I totally get that but what I am planning to do is sell my current Airtel HD DVR and use a normal and simple set box of airtel or tata sky, then buy this averbox PVR and use it along with the set top box. How does this sound? will this work and will this allow me to record all the programs as efficiently as my DVR?

NiluGeek

Broken In
you are right sam i would strongly suggest you go for plain hd set top box of tata sky or airtel and hook avermedia to it, it would work great and you can record programs as usual on your external hard disk, and it will work fine.

I would suggest you check with the compatible hard disk and maintain a seperate hard disk for recording programs.

by the way how is this avermedia PVR recording quALITY as i m planning to buy one.

where can i purchase avermedia pvr in mumbai ?

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
you are right sam i would strongly suggest you go for plain hd set top box of tata sky or airtel and hook avermedia to it, it would work great and you can record programs as usual on your external hard disk, and it will work fine.

I would suggest you check with the compatible hard disk and maintain a seperate hard disk for recording programs.

by the way how is this avermedia PVR recording quALITY as i m planning to buy one.

where can i purchase avermedia pvr in mumbai ?

Thanks buddy for replying to my 'pretty much dead' thread, good to see that somebody approved of what I was thinking.
The problem is that I find this device slightly expensive, plus it is not produced by some reputed brand as well and that is the only reason why I am hesitant to buy this device.

Do you know of any other alternative device for this?
I actually don't own an avermedia PVR, so can't say about the quality.

NiluGeek

Broken In
buddy,

i tried searching for PVR in every nook and corner in the city, but unable to find a permanant and good solution for the same, as there is literally no company or brand which manufactures PVR which can record shows off tv or set top box and allows you to transfer the same to another hard disk.

another solution is to purchase a external tv tuner card and connect that card to cpu and than connect the other point of tvt tuner to set top box today in india.

in case you r going to connect thru external tv tuner card than you will have to purchase mini cpu. external tv tuner card has a record facility.

I would suggest you go for aver media PVR, as this is the only reliable solution availiable today, i m going to purchase it, it is availiable on flipkart.com

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
3) If it is worth replacing then what all other products like this AVerTV Box PVR are available in the market which belong to a better brand and are slightly cheaper?
The problem is that I find this device slightly expensive, plus it is not produced by some reputed brand as well and that is the only reason why I am hesitant to buy this device.
lol, there's no better brand than AverMedia and Hauppauge when it comes to TV Tuners and recording stuff. :)

There's a reason why this PVR is expensive. Same goes for the TV Tuner in my signature.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
buddy,

i tried searching for PVR in every nook and corner in the city, but unable to find a permanant and good solution for the same, as there is literally no company or brand which manufactures PVR which can record shows off tv or set top box and allows you to transfer the same to another hard disk.

another solution is to purchase a external tv tuner card and connect that card to cpu and than connect the other point of tvt tuner to set top box today in india.

in case you r going to connect thru external tv tuner card than you will have to purchase mini cpu. external tv tuner card has a record facility.

I would suggest you go for aver media PVR, as this is the only reliable solution availiable today, i m going to purchase it, it is availiable on flipkart.com

I always prefer buying things locally, maybe because I have never bought anything online. Anyways, incase you buy this PVR please do tell me that you have bought it and then I hope we can further communicate about the quality and other things. Thanks a lot and please keep in touch via PM. I am also pretty persistent to buy this thing, but I would like to have some feedback first.

lol, there's no better brand than AverMedia and Hauppauge when it comes to TV Tuners and recording stuff. :)

There's a reason why this PVR is expensive. Same goes for the TV Tuner in my signature.

I have never used AverMedia products but I was thinking that as it is a chinese company it might not be that good. Anyway, does hauppauge provide products like PVR in India with after sales services?

Can you suggest me any cheaper method for recording content from my DTH set top box and then being able to transfer it on HDD or something similar to this?

saswat23

Human Spambot
Even I dont know.
I just suggested Pixel View coz its as good as AverMedia and should consider it if AverMedia and Hauppauge are not available.

NiluGeek

Broken In
Dear SAM 993 Pixel view is nothing but a TV Tuner card, it works like this...

First of all it is a tv tuner card just like sound card, this card you will have to first install on your computer mobo than install software on you r pc and than connect the cables from you tv tuner card to your tv, it is as good as bringing your cpu cabinet and keeping it besides your tv .

Pls note that it is not a seperate stand alone eqipment like Aver media.

As far as Hauppauge goes i am unable to find the good reseller/ dealer online for it in india, hence there is no good PVR in india other than avermedia.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Yeah, I now understand what this is. BTW a tv tuner card does not work in a laptop right?

Gizmogeek

Right off the assembly line
Yeah, I now understand what this is. BTW a tv tuner card does not work in a laptop right?
Hi,
i have been doing a lot of research on the Aver TV PVR Box , one major drawback that i find is that there is no HDMI connectivity. In todays age every latest gadget which has to be connected to a TV should be HDMI . there is no HDMI port on this device.

indigomain

Right off the assembly line
I think Avermedia avetv box pvr is pvr box which has time shift and external USB drive function...which means we can record tv program and take it out to watch in our laptop / PC or even in tab on the way.. this is not available in Airtel or TATA SKY. they have recording option with option only to replay at same STB only .. I think this is because the STB is coded and DTH provider does not want to share programs..
I think AVermedia is good company, it s based in taiwan and all products are of taiwan not china or HK ..
I saw another product of avermedia - game capture HD , this can also be connected to HD STB like TATA SKy HD or Airtel HD thru component cables . originally company made this for xbox and ps3 but can be used with HD STB for HD content recording . Just connect with STB and connect to your TV .. watch the channel you want to watch and record also.. THis has one better option from aver box pvr , it has option of internal HDD USB drive connectivity..

I always prefer buying things locally, maybe because I have never bought anything online. Anyways, incase you buy this PVR please do tell me that you have bought it and then I hope we can further communicate about the quality and other things. Thanks a lot and please keep in touch via PM. I am also pretty persistent to buy this thing, but I would like to have some feedback first.

I have never used AverMedia products but I was thinking that as it is a chinese company it might not be that good. Anyway, does hauppauge provide products like PVR in India with after sales services?

Can you suggest me any cheaper method for recording content from my DTH set top box and then being able to transfer it on HDD or something similar to this?

NiluGeek

Broken In
Game Capture thing works for HD DTH but it is priced sightly on higher side, as it includes capturing/recording live gaming action. In case you are not into gaming, i would suggest you stick to normal avermedia PVR, it is availiable on flipkart.
Another alternative to avermedia i found recently is Asus O Play TV PRO,you can check it out on ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS O!Play TV Pro
It is a PVR cum Digital Media Player.

I am looking for reviews of ASUS O Play TV Pro, and than final the product which im going to buy.

Top Bottom