Are nintendo games hardcore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
If your top 5 best selling games include Zombi U and Monster Hunter then you are anything but casual. Xenoblade Chronicles is hardcore, The Last Story is hardcore, Pandoras Tower is hardcore. Shin Megami Tensei is hardcore. Fire Emblem is hardcore. Golden Sun is hardcore. Sin & Punishment is hardcore. Baten Kaitos is hardcore. Advance Wars is hardcore. Battalion Wars is hardcore. Kid Icarus is hardcore. Pokemon Conquest is hardcore. The Wonderful 101 is hardcore. Metroid is hardcore. Metroid Prime is hardcore. Super Smash Brothers is hardcore.

are these games really hardcore? or just because they have ridiculous game mechanics and have a long story line they are hardcore?

heidi2521

Padawan
I am not gonna bother proving that they are hardcore because you are quoting me and probably don't want my opinion.

But i have one thing to say:

*www.goldismoney2.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10341&d=1287528280&thumb=1

darkv0id

Journeyman
are these games really hardcore? or just because they have ridiculous game mechanics and have a long story line they are hardcore?

What do you think is meant by hardcore? Hardcore games usually refer to games that require a decent amount of skill and time investment to complete, so going by that definition, yes, most of these are hardcore.

But dead5 is right, your intentions are good, but I fear we may have a console war brewing......

P.S. Out of all these games , the only ones I have played a decent amount of are Xenoblade and The Last Story, and although I am no veteran of JRPGs, I must disagree with you if think their gameplay mechanics were ridiculous :|

OP
NoasArcAngel

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
I am not gonna bother proving that they are hardcore because you are quoting me and probably don't want my opinion.

But i have one thing to say:

*www.goldismoney2.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10341&d=1287528280&thumb=1

all is welcome, dont worry it will end well. With you (the cat) out of the windshield and me coming in an ambulance to treat you.

What do you think is meant by hardcore? Hardcore games usually refer to games that require a decent amount of skill and time investment to complete, so going by that definition, yes, most of these are hardcore.

But dead5 is right, your intentions are good, but I fear we may have a console war brewing......

P.S. Out of all these games , the only ones I have played a decent amount of are Xenoblade and The Last Story, and although I am no veteran of JRPGs, I must disagree with you if think their gameplay mechanics were ridiculous :|

what i think is meant by hardcore, is a game which requires certain skill. as simple as that and no i dont think using powerups which occur randomly throughout the game can be called hardcore.

darkv0id

Journeyman
what i think is meant by hardcore, is a game which requires certain skill. as simple as that and no i dont think using powerups which occur randomly throughout the game can be called hardcore.

Well according to me, all of these games require a certain amount skill to enjoy and complete, so by your own definition, they are certainly hardcore. And the powerups in the Last Story don't make an insane amount of difference to your stats, I don't know how this one design choice detracts you from the "hardcore" experience.

OP
NoasArcAngel

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Well according to me, all of these games require a certain amount skill to enjoy and complete, so by your own definition, they are certainly hardcore. And the powerups in the Last Story don't make an insane amount of difference to your stats, I don't know how this one design choice detracts you from the "hardcore" experience.

yes but powerups give you unfair advantage, so its not a matter of skill then. you cant end up comparing a banana peel and a rocket in mario kart. Ill go on record and say this that nintendo games are core, like xenobalde and pandoras tower etc, but certainly not hardcore.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
yes but powerups give you unfair advantage, so its not a matter of skill then. you cant end up comparing a banana peel and a rocket in mario kart. Ill go on record and say this that nintendo games are core, like xenobalde and pandoras tower etc, but certainly not hardcore.

So an RPG should not have moves and items that buff you up? And what makes you think the enemies cant do the same?

Just because you have run out of responses in the Fight Club thread which you turned into a nintendo is hardcore/ not hardcore thread from a meaningful debate about which console is the best, you post here hoping for vindication to satisfy that ego of yours?

darkv0id

Journeyman
So an RPG should not have moves and items that buff you up? And what makes you think the enemies cant do the same?

Just because you have run out of responses in the Fight Club thread which you turned into a nintendo is hardcore/ not hardcore thread from a meaningful debate about which console is the best, you post here hoping for vindication to satisfy that ego of yours?

@NoasArcAngel
This. Since the powerups are random, it's equally likely that your enemies will buff themselves as well.

Also, I think it's worth noting that the focus of The Last Story is it's single-player, where stuff like powerups become irrelevant. Just because one facet of the multiplayer makes you unhappy, doesn't mean the entire game should be labelled softcore.

heidi2521

Padawan
Okay, you asked for it.

A smash competitive match(Falco vs Marth):

The final boss in Pandoras Tower:

Fight with Mitra in the Last Story:

Fight with Zanza in Xenoblade Chronicles:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2:

Would link more but video limit and all.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Ill go on record and say this that nintendo games are core, like xenobalde and pandoras tower etc, but certainly not hardcore.

Did you know that core is short for hardcore?

Looks like dead5 was right, this did not end well for you.

heidi2521

Padawan
@NoasArcAngel
Also, I think it's worth noting that the focus of The Last Story is it's single-player, where stuff like powerups become irrelevant. Just because one facet of the multiplayer makes you unhappy, doesn't mean the entire game should be labelled softcore.

Yup. BTW, the multiplayer in TLS was pretty tacked on. The SP campaign is clearly where all the focus went.

d3p

PowerHouse
There are thousands of Videos similar to the below.

[youtube]O5Ft7-mVys4[/youtube]

Game : Super Street Fighter 4.

Looks like "Hardcore" means a lot different to lot of people around here.....lmao.

CALL OF TETRIS...

Nerevarine

Incarnate
*chronicle.com/blognetwork/edgeofthewest/files/2012/11/duty_calls.png

This is what 2 people on this forum are reduced down to

heidi2521

Padawan
There are thousands of Videos similar to the below.

[youtube]O5Ft7-mVys4[/youtube]

Game : Super Street Fighter 4.

Looks like "Hardcore" means a lot different to lot of people around here.....lmao.

CALL OF TETRIS...

I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread. Nobody thinks SF isn't hardcore. And SF isn't a Nintendo game either.

gameranand

Living to Play
Well whether they are hardcore or not depends on your definition of hardcore. As per universal definition they are hardcore. :)

d3p

PowerHouse
I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread. Nobody thinks SF isn't hardcore. And SF isn't a Nintendo game either.

As mentioned before, the definition of hardcore depends on the maturity of the gamer & the gameplay.

IMO playing against bots with max difficulty doesn't make the game hardcore, example : "Super Mario Psusy"

And regarding the SF4 version for Nintendo 3DS sh!t : "CVG gave the 3DS Edition a score of 9.0, praising its appeal to both hardcore and casual gamers, as well as having as much content as its console counterpart.[61] Kotaku also praised the port, saying "if you are going to buy one 3DS game, get this"

Well the score & game ratings are something, which we don't believe these days till we conquer it.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
As mentioned before, the definition of hardcore depends on the maturity of the gamer & the gameplay.

IMO playing against bots with max difficulty doesn't make the game hardcore, example : "Super Mario Psusy"

And regarding the SF4 version for Nintendo 3DS sh!t : "CVG gave the 3DS Edition a score of 9.0, praising its appeal to both hardcore and casual gamers, as well as having as much content as its console counterpart.[61] Kotaku also praised the port, saying "if you are going to buy one 3DS game, get this"

Well the score & game ratings are something, which we don't believe these days till we conquer it.

The definition of hardcore is independent of the maturity of the gamer.

Erm Super Mario isn't about bots BTW so I don't know where you got that idea from. And there are no difficulty settings either :? Super Mario is a hardcore platformer through and through.

And by your own quote, SFIV 3DS appeals to both hardcore and casual players.

So think, research and determine what you're saying is correct before posting.

And I hate the 3DS so it isn't like I'm saying "Get a 3DS damn it".

d3p

PowerHouse
The definition of hardcore is independent of the maturity of the gamer.

Erm Super Mario isn't about bots BTW so I don't know where you got that idea from. And there are no difficulty settings either :? Super Mario is a hardcore platformer through and through.

And by your own quote, SFIV 3DS appeals to both hardcore and casual players.

So think, research and determine what you're saying is correct before posting.

And I hate the 3DS so it isn't like I'm saying "Get a 3DS damn it".

Its not an idea my friend, its called Experience....

Looks like you need to play Mario after all....what else to call the "Goomba, Koopa Troopa & Bowser" ??? Bots or Mario's Lost Brothers ???

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Its not an idea my friend, its called Experience....

Looks like you need to play Mario after all....what else to call the "Goomba, Koopa Troopa & Bowser" ??? Bots or Mario's Lost Brothers ???

There is a big difference between having bots and being about bots.

BTW these are not bots, because they are not subsitutes for players/NPCs. Pseudo-AI yes, bots no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom