are netbooks worth buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raja2281

Journeyman
hi
i have been looking for a portable laptop for some time now.
and i have seen all these netbooks being launched one after the other.
i am looking to do my office work presentations and net surfing , can i go for a netbook. one thing i am not sure of is the durability of them. and why do u think is vaio priced so high compared to others?

Pathik

Google Bot
They are absolutely worth it. Vaio's are priced higher because they are more stylish and slimmer. You can easily get a good netbook in about 20-25k. Try the Samsung NC10 or the MSI Wind.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
i feel they are not worth the price. if you can get something in 15k, it's okay. if it's 24k, I would say it's waste of money coz:

1) tiny mediocre screen
2) tiny keypad
3) no optical drive
4) slowest processor on earth
5) mediocre graphics capabilities

I would buy Acer 4530 instead of a netbook.

OP
R

raja2281

Journeyman
wht abt the processor speed ? multitasking ? hdd speed? how do u compare it with a laptop for an application like spreadsheet or word ? is it too slow or workable.

Pathik

Google Bot
For normal stuff, there won't be much of a difference. The screen size is a bit smaller though. I would suggest the Samsung NC10. It has a battery life of 5-6 hrs.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I share my thoughts with desibond. Anything above 18k for a netbook is not worth it. You can get better performing notebooks if you pay a bit higher which are miles ahead of netbook. But if you are ready to pay the premium just coz of the sheer size, then go ahead.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Well, netbooks are differentiated from notebooks for their purpose, power consumption, portability, and internet use basis.

Comparing them is folly. And yes, their price is uninspiring indeed.

OP
R

raja2281

Journeyman
in that case i wud like to go for a 12'' laptop than a netbook. any idea which brands of 12'' i can get for max 40000

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
acer travelmate 6292-602G16Mi: c2d t7500, 2.2GHz, 2gig ram, onboard gpu, 12.1"
(1280x800), vga cam, 3usb, firewire, memory card reader, bluetooth, ir, modem, Free DOS

1yr warranty and available under 40k

*www.cyberindian.net/2007/06/09/acer-travelmate-6292-notebook-pc/

acewin

Point Blanc
its kinda hazzy :D
Acer TravelMate 6292 Notebook PC, and the thread desi you are giving is June 09th, 2007. Will he really get this model m not sure, such specs in 12.1 screen will make it quiet costly. Too bad Dell XPS13 are also costly now. But you get Dell Vostro 1200 which are cheap considering their price is around 42K and specs are also good.

@raja what are your requirements and budget.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
just small screen size is good or you need better specs
Anyhow Dell/HP small-business category laptops can be only good and light in price range of 40K

Last edited:

GigaHeartz

Off the beaten track
IMO vaio-p has got worst reviews ever.. There are whole bunch of problems with the ergonomics, battery backup and responsiveness.. But despite of this many people use netbooks. One of the guys in my office bought it few months back but hez celarly not satisfied. There is no inbuilt EVDO/3G capability so u have to stick in a data card which is much of a hassle. Most of the time, your blackberrey does the job pretty well..

Netbooks are supposed to fulfill one or more of the following needs:

1. Be small and portable and yet be able to carry out day-to-day computing operations.

2. Consume very little power and act as great download books.

3. Be cheap and hence serve as effective backup computers (sony vaio, macbook air and other luxury items are a big PHAIL on this list).

4. Be upgrade proof: i.e, they are devices which needn't be upgraded like normal computers because their purpose is the same always and they run the same set of apps forever

5. Give room for you to experiment with Live CDs, multiple OSes, experimental OSes, etc.

6. Act as multimedia gadgets and playback movies, songs, videos, etc when travelling or even at home.

7. Provide a CHEAP alternative to normal notebooks and become more VFM than standard notebooks/laptops/UMPCs/SubNotebooks. (note: only Acer Aspire One 160GB Linux @ 15K which was available for the price for a few weeks fulfills this particular clause. Others are damn expensive and better to get mainstream laptop for 19K than these if this is your priority).

8. Regardless of cost, become good small trendy and attractive digital companions.

So if you have any one of these priorities when buying a Portable Computer, consider a netbook (aka SubNoteBook with Intel Atom CPU).

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
its kinda hazzy :D
Acer TravelMate 6292 Notebook PC, and the thread desi you are giving is June 09th, 2007. Will he really get this model m not sure, such specs in 12.1 screen will make it quiet costly. Too bad Dell XPS13 are also costly now. But you get Dell Vostro 1200 which are cheap considering their price is around 42K and specs are also good.

@raja what are your requirements and budget.
Posted again:
just small screen size is good or you need better specs
Anyhow Dell/HP small-business category laptops can be only good and light in price range of 40K

That link may be old but that model is still available and is part of laptop review that CHIP magazine did this month. And it certainly looks like a great laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom