Apple's Brilliant iPod touch - A review by PC Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/18/0,1425,i=188083,00.jpg

*www.pcmag.com/images/pcm_exec_sum_ec.gif *www.pcmag.com/images/pcm_large_5_dot.gif​

*img249.imageshack.us/img249/2674/bottomlinepz1.png

*www.pcmag.com/images/pcm_exec_sum_review.gif
By Tim Gideon

When the iPhone came out in June, many people (myself included) loved it, but wanted it without the phone—and that pesky two-year contract with AT&T Wireless. I'm no luddite, but I don't want my personal media player to ring in the middle of a song. That said, the multi-touch glass display was beautiful, Cover Flow was a great way to navigate tracks, and the Web browser was better than any other portable player's before it. Apple could have delivered a player with just these features and nothing more and I would have been thrilled. But it didn't. The company added a WiFi version of the iTunes Music Store so you can buy songs on the go—now, if you have WiFi access you can download tracks anywhere. Apple also announced a partnership with Starbucks that enables iPhone and touch owners to purchase songs they hear in Starbucks stores via WiFi. Okay, maybe I'm not in love with that last feature (I'm not a Starbucks addict). It would also be nice if the WiFi store offered video purchases, too—it's currently music-only. And, yes, the earbuds still suck. But those are my only complaints—and they are minor. The relatively hefty $300 and $400 price tags for 8 and 16 GB, respectively, don't bug me either. Why? This is probably the best portable media player ever made.

Read the Apple iPod touch full review here.

[Via PC Magazine]

I doubt they could have come up with a more glowing review even if they'd tried to. :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
“The best players you can buy”

“The best players you can buy”

Taking us through the highlights of each of the new iPods, David Pogue (New York Times) anoints them “the best players you can buy.” iPod touch, for example, offers “the iPhone’s spectacular widescreen video playback, wireless Wi-Fi Internet features and its now-famous two-finger touchscreen operating system.” And wireless access to iTunes: “You can browse or search the catalog, listen to 30-second samples, buy songs for $1 each—and download them directly to the iPod.” These iPods, Pogue says, “are nearly impossible to beat; there are other 160-gigabyte multimedia players, for example, but they’re much bigger and more expensive than the iPod classic. And if you do value things like beauty, software elegance and trouble-free computer integration—well, good luck resisting that new Nano.”

These iPods are gonna take over the world!

Apple posts 85-page iPod touch Features Guide
Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 03:07 PM EDT

Apple has posted their 85-page iPod touch Features Guide online which covers many features and may give some hints as to future iPhone enhancements and capabilities (keyboard language support, etc.) coming via future software update(s).

The Guide covers:
• Getting Started
• Basics
• Music and Video
• Photos
• iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
• Applications
• Settings
• And more

See the Apple's iPod touch Features Guide (6.8MB .pdf) here.

[Via MacDailyNews]

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
A quote by David Pogue (which has been echoed by every single other reviewer and me):
The Nano is wider and shorter than before. In photos, without any size reference, the result looks a little weird, slightly foreshortened; the rumor Web sites called it the Nano Fatty. Once you handle this iPod, though, you realize that that nickname is hilariously wrong; at a quarter of an inch thick, you could practically use the Nano as a letter opener.
There you go. It is anything but a "fatty".

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
In other news, reviewers who pit the iPhone versus the iPod Touch say that the iPod has a duller screen than the iPhone. Their tests show a clear graying of the image in comparision. Cost reduction in effect? Of course, no one would care much for a little dullness though. :)

The point is, it isn't so "brilliant" literally afterall. Adjectively, yeah, totally cool!

goobimama

 Macboy
Even the nano ad doesn't do justice to the size of the new one. Holding it in hand is like...amazing! It's really tiny! I didn't get to use the new interface though...

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
This, and the fact that it will cost me Rs. 9120 in the UK under the UK Back to School promo.

:)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Yes, or I have an option of getting a free Nano, with the Macbook that i'll get at 17% students' discount.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
That offer is about to expire, Anand. You better hurry. And you'll be getting the older Nano, not the new one.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
*www.apple.com/uk/backtoschool/

Nopes, there is no hurry. The scheme in the United Kingdom expires only on the 30th of October. Also, I will get either the new 4 GB nano free (check the pic), or 85 pounds off other iPods.

So, I'll get the base MacBook and the iPod Touch for 714 pounds (600+114 :) )

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
why dont u wait for some time .. the iphone is gonna be launched anytime in europe

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iMav said:
why dont u wait for some time .. the iphone is gonna be launched anytime in europe
He already has a phone he likes and he just wants the iPod part. Plus, he does not want to be tied to a contract. The iPod touch (8GB) is also a whole $100 cheaper.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
mail2and -
The Back to School deal is better in the UK than in the USA! I ordered my MacBook Pro 2 days back and I'm getting $200 off and a older generation iPod Nano. :(

But Anand, I'll suggest to wait for iPhone. According to Gizmondo's review:
1. Lag when doing video-intensive activities.
2. No disk mode.
3. Touch Screen is not as good as iPhone.
4. Misses out some things like video downloads in iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, wireless syncing to iTunes, external speakers, dumbing down the calendar, and no Mail or Notes apps.
5. "Choosing the touch over the iPhone is like choosing a fully loaded Toyota Avalon over a Lexus ES."

I'll suggest you to go for the iPod Nano and get the iPhone (it's coming soon in Europe).

Status
Not open for further replies.