Apple Vs Samsung :: which is better and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
They may have learnt their lesson now after getting a heavy beating, but when they launched the Xperia Z, it was priced very high, kind of what Samsung is trying to pull off now(not that high, but still high for the hardware), since then the have learnt their lesson, and also at that time they had some very stupid phones, like Xperia J, then there was one phone with a pathetic battery, I think it was the Xperia P, many people went for it without looking at the battery. So I don't agree with that point.

IMHO the only company that had released true VFM phones are Motorola(moto g), LG(optimus L9), Samsung at very early times.

if u mean galaxy y or other galaxy phones like grand,then no they arent really vfm imo, vfm phones should be usable for basic stuff atleast, the screen , battery etc by samsung is pathetic imo,optimus l9 offers much more at a similiar price, even lumia 520 and 525 are very vfm at that price and have great screens and cameras as well

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
why do you wanna compare two companies?? instead compare the products and choose which ever suits you..

rish1

Cyborg Agent
They may have learnt their lesson now after getting a heavy beating, but when they launched the Xperia Z, it was priced very high, kind of what Samsung is trying to pull off now(not that high, but still high for the hardware), since then the have learnt their lesson, and also at that time they had some very stupid phones, like Xperia J, then there was one phone with a pathetic battery, I think it was the Xperia P, many people went for it without looking at the battery. So I don't agree with that point.

IMHO the only company that had released true VFM phones are Motorola(moto g), LG(optimus L9), Samsung at very early times.

hmm looks like you are coming from an old time.. you are talking about 2012.. in 2012 even HTC wasn't that overpriced as it was in 2013 and was fairly decent..

xperia P had battery problems sure but the camera was just fantastic.. that's why people went for it plus it had an exceptional design ..
xperia U was the very best VFM smartphone at that time even though it did not had micro sd card.. The chipset that ruled was novathor and it was infamous for poor battery life..

Xperia Z was priced higher because it was launched very early than samsung S4 . the only con that phone had was it's pathetic Screen. Camera wasn't that great but waterproofing , Premium glass build and sure it wasn't bang for the buck as the phones coming out later were..
and since then Sony has been just wondeful..
Xperia E in 8k
Xperia M Dual - 12k ( rated best selling device of 2013)
Xperia L - 16k
Xperia Sp - 21k ( nexus 4 was 25k )
Xperia Zr/zl - 26k
Xperia Z1 - 41k

these are not launch prices these are the prices that existed for most of the period of time. they launch high and in 1 month bring prices down considerably and sell at that price
Xperia C also sold in very good numbers but i never considered it as a VFM phones because there were other better options like xperia SP itself.. but i think Dual sim + 5 inch combo worked very well since only galaxy grand was the lone competitor then..
these were the phones that ruled whole 2013 there was literally no other phone that could come close to the VFM that sony provided . i challenge you to name any better phone at the same price as above.. it was at least 20 % cheaper and had better Specs than Samsung, HTC went Mad in 2013,Lg L series was a flop, .. the only 1 device that even came close to beating sony was LG G2.

Coming to 2014
Xperia Z1 compact -34k ( not exactly the best pricing but there is no competing phone from any other brand )
Xperia T2 ultra - 23-24k
Xperia E1 - 7k

sony had problems in their screen viewing angles and their camera in low end wasn't that good..

Moto G was produced under "GOOGLE" and was made out to be a cheaper nexus, and besides it is not sold through offline retailers so middleman commission is being taken out and passed as a discount that is one exception of a phone. See moto X pricing it is overpriced .

Last edited:

Sarath

iDota
What is your current phone?

What are you looking for in your next phone, functionality wise?

What is your budget?

The answer whether Apple is better or Samsung is can never be answered. It all boils down to your requirements. Also I don't think it is wise to just ignore other brands too.

And the biggest question of all, where is the OP?

tkin

Back to school!!
hmm looks like you are coming from an old time.. you are talking about 2012.. in 2012 even HTC wasn't that overpriced as it was in 2013 and was fairly decent..

xperia P had battery problems sure but the camera was just fantastic.. that's why people went for it plus it had an exceptional design ..
xperia U was the very best VFM smartphone at that time even though it did not had micro sd card.. The chipset that ruled was novathor and it was infamous for poor battery life..

Xperia Z was priced higher because it was launched very early than samsung S4 . the only con that phone had was it's pathetic Screen. Camera wasn't that great but waterproofing , Premium glass build and sure it wasn't bang for the buck as the phones coming out later were..
and since then Sony has been just wondeful..
Xperia E in 8k
Xperia M Dual - 12k ( rated best selling device of 2013)
Xperia L - 16k
Xperia Sp - 21k ( nexus 4 was 25k )
Xperia Zr/zl - 26k
Xperia Z1 - 41k

these are not launch prices these are the prices that existed for most of the period of time. they launch high and in 1 month bring prices down considerably and sell at that price
Xperia C also sold in very good numbers but i never considered it as a VFM phones because there were other better options like xperia SP itself.. but i think Dual sim + 5 inch combo worked very well since only galaxy grand was the lone competitor then..
these were the phones that ruled whole 2013 there was literally no other phone that could come close to the VFM that sony provided . i challenge you to name any better phone at the same price as above.. it was at least 20 % cheaper and had better Specs than Samsung, HTC went Mad in 2013,Lg L series was a flop, .. the only 1 device that even came close to beating sony was LG G2.

Coming to 2014
Xperia Z1 compact -32k ( there is no competing phone )
Xperia T2 ultra - 23k
Xperia E1 - 7k

sony had problems in their screen viewing angles and their camera in low end wasn't that good..

Moto G was produced under "GOOGLE" and was made out to be a cheaper nexus, and besides it is not sold through offline retailers so middleman commision is being taken out and passed as a discount that is one exception of a phone. See moto X pricing it is overpriced .
I am not sure I can agree to those words, the LG L series(L9, L5 etc) sold like hotcakes, and "Close to beating" isn't the word I'd use: *www.gsmarena.com/lg_g2_vs_samsung_galaxy_note_3_vs_sony_xperia_z1-review-1000.php
Like in that review, Z1 comes last in almost every category except Synthetics and Video Recording :p

And I have to point who uses TFTs anymore? Not even an IPS panel(Z1).

- - - Updated - - -

What is your current phone?

What are you looking for in your next phone, functionality wise?

What is your budget?

The answer whether Apple is better or Samsung is can never be answered. It all boils down to your requirements. Also I don't think it is wise to just ignore other brands too.

And the biggest question of all, where is the OP?
*i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/341/i-dunno-lol_1_.jpg

Last edited:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
I am not sure I can agree to those words, the LG L series(L9, L5 etc) sold like hotcakes, and "Close to beating" isn't the word I'd use: *www.gsmarena.com/lg_g2_vs_samsung_galaxy_note_3_vs_sony_xperia_z1-review-1000.php
Like in that review, Z1 comes last in almost every category except Synthetics and Video Recording :p

by close to i meant "Pricing" .. G2 overall was a better device.. Z1 had a better camera and design .. especially the pics after firmware update and manual settings..
l9 l5 were 2012 and i also agree they were better.. i was talking about 2013.. l5 2 and l7 2 were 2013 they weren't as good as sony counterparts and hence didn't make a mark
And I have to point who uses TFTs anymore? Not even an IPS panel(Z1).

yeah that was their biggest Problem and frankly only that was the thing that kept them from beating lg and sammy. all phones in 2014 have IPS panels so now since they are on par with others.. i think z2 and others will make a big bang this year but i really hope they don't fk up the pricing and become greedy .. T2 ultra is an amazing mid ranger.. beats Lumia 1320 in everything . online prices are going as low as 21k.

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
im no fan of the iphone or mac(ipad ,ipod etc yes i love them) but frankly samsung pretty much rips people off by specs and misleading statements such as octa core etc(its not octa its 2 quads which work one at a time)
they bundle alot of bloatware and provide sad support and build quality(read-battery exploded etc and samsung asking users to remove videos of their damaged phones)
yes samsung does have a pro in a way though with their large screens for lower prices (galaxy grand which is a better buy than micromax and indian brands any day) and their unlocked bootloaders etc
but id rather stick to iphone despite its cons and despite the fact that ios 7 is a terribly designed os and file limitations

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Apple = Show Off.
Samsung = Cr@p design, good hardware, overhyped, overpriced, but good support.
HTC = Good design/hardware, ovepriced.
LG = Good Hardware, VFM, mediocre design, mediocre support.
Sony = Good design, good hardware, mediocre support, mediocre pricing.

Nokia = Excellent design, good hardware(best camera), good pricing, but win os might not be everyone's cup of tea.
Agree with this. However from my POV, slight alteration needed,

Samsung : Overpriced. Not really. A phone like S4 sales at 28k now, which is good. I mean as long as one gives up on build quality.

hTC: I'll add great build quality with those points. Also not that much overpriced. I was seeing unlocked M8 selling at 38k, which ain't bad, given the phone's just released.

Sony: Not mediocre pricing imho. Z2 will be launched here for over 50k if I'm not wrong. If Sony phones were built like hTC I'd not have been saying this.

though i admit apple isnt as good as it was under Jobs , samsung is a worse company than apple and doesnt give quality or after sales,atleast apple has a few good things here and there unlike samsung
Well while I hate both brands one thing I know, Apple is not imaginable without Samsung / LG. Samsung can go ahead on their own to be honest.
If I were given only two brands to choose from, well there's no competition or rivalry to my eyes :)

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Agree with this. However from my POV, slight alteration needed,

Samsung : Overpriced. Not really. A phone like S4 sales at 28k now, which is good. I mean as long as give up on build quality.

hTC: I'll add great build quality with those points. Also not that much overpriced. I was seeing unlocked M8 selling at 38k, which ain't bad, given the phone's just released.

Sony: Not mediocre pricing imho. Z2 will be launched here for over 50k if I'm not wrong. If Sony phones were built like hTC I'd not have been saying this.
My additions:

Samsung: Look at launch prices, always, if stuff doesn't sell well they will all go down the Blackberry Z10 way.

HTC: Yes, but I can bet launch prices will be excruciatingly high, like the old One.

Sony: Mediocre means bad pricing, best pricing means VFM, so yes, that's why I said prices are mediocre, I think I haven't put it in place correctly, but I tried to convey the same message as you, I clearly remember the launch price by the over hyped Z and its water resistance(I have never had a spill on my phone, ever, just need to be a bit careful. Because most of the times the phone isn't the only thing on my desk, there's keyboards, laptops etc not all are waterproof.)

raksrules

Youngling
Not sure why people automatically assume people owning apple iPhone are doing for showoff. Although It is certain from my comment it is obvious I own an iPhone (4S), I bought only after I assessed my requirements and decided on this.
About paying premium for iPhone I did not buy at full price. In fact mine is 64GB 4S Bought in mint almost new condition for price less than what a Samsung S4 new sells for currently and I bought my phone back in 2012. Still giving me stellar performance and battery life too and works with out any quirks like day 1. And yes off course I am a fan of jailbreak and my phone is jailbroken.

Op should assess his needs and decide. Asking what is better from these 2 companies is absurd . Damn these 2 companies don't even make phones with same OS, so no point comparing.
Specs like RAM and processor should be compared if the phones use same OS else the comparison is absurd.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Not sure why people automatically assume people owning apple iPhone are doing for showoff. Although It is certain from my comment it is obvious I own an iPhone (4S), I bought only after I assessed my requirements and decided on this.
About paying premium for iPhone I did not buy at full price. In fact mine is 64GB 4S Bought in mint almost new condition for price less than what a Samsung S4 new sells for currently and I bought my phone back in 2012. Still giving me stellar performance and battery life too and works with out any quirks like day 1. And yes off course I am a fan of jailbreak and my phone is jailbroken.

Op should assess his needs and decide. Asking what is better from these 2 companies is absurd . Damn these 2 companies don't even make phones with same OS, so no point comparing.
Specs like RAM and processor should be compared if the phones use same OS else the comparison is absurd.

true true but samsung devices all have bad build quality and after-sales,atleast iphones dont lag as much as samsung phones
personally id get a lumia for best of both worlds,its got a mix of both os's plus its own great additions which blow dirt on competitors

read-battery life,camera,dedicated apps,better coded FB and other social apps,multitasking and background tasks which close and open when necessary and dont eat battery life,updates are better and are assured unlike android phones and dont carry the risk of slowing down an older device like ios
one drawback in wp8 is the downgrade options from a dev preview (care suite didnt work for me :( )-in this aspect ios is better to restore when the signing window is open
android has the risk of bricking a device permanently despite more flexibility in roms but id rather stick to stock

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I can't agree with the above comment. Samsung went down to their 'pathetic' build quality race post 2010, before that period all devices were made really good, device like Wave was of brilliant build quality. It started with S3, carried on to Note 2, S4, Note 3, all are horrible. Now they have learnt their lesson, and S5 seems to be of far better built.

Secondly what's wrong with their ASS? I bricked my S2, which was rooted, so officially they were restricted to receive the device, but they did and un-bricked it. I have personally not had any problem with them, nor I've heard anyone having any problem!

Samsung devices do NOT lag, it's Android what lags! iOS is a completely different ecosystem, as well as WP, so there's no point in comparing them IMHO!

As I said, regardless of the bugs, infamous force close and some other freezing / rebooting issues, Android does have a lot more advantages over any OS, there's nothing you can't do with it. Now whether you need it or not is up to you. But you never know when you're gonna need something.

WP : Plain & simple. Not bad. App quantity and quality is nowhere near of Android, not yet. Lack of customisation, hmm. Well it's still an efficient OS, at least it won't let you install another ****ing app in your PC, so you won't be a dog.

iOS : I better not comment. Cause it gives me a pain to even write anything about it. The only advantage it has that app quality, they are indeed better, not in functionality, but overall responsiveness, less bugs. But a person, who is like me, needs less than 50 apps, it doesn't make a bloody difference. A sodding OS can't play a Matroska file out of the box, when I used it I couldn't even set an MP3 as ringtone, that beautifully accurate map, I'll die before installing that iTunes crap on my PC again, I don't wanna go on.....
Build quality is crap, just like S4. The difference is plastic vs cheap glass, both will shatter!

As I said, my parents will have no problem. Cause all they do are clicking on that Dialer icon, type in some bloody number and call that person. Then check a message or two. And if really pushed check something on internet. When I asked my mom after buying a L520 for a mere 7k for her that what difference do you see between this and your previous phone, she says the previous one was slightly faster, but this one is good too, I like it. That previous phone happened to be an iPhone 4, a sodding device I bought for 32k, from a friend of mine, who bought it for 39k and sold to me after using for three months. I asked him why are you selling this, he said that phone was too good for him, didn't get the sarcastic part that day, but I get it more than anything now.

I'm sorry and no offence to anyone but I really have no interest to lose some precious IQ to use an iPhone.

PS : Forgive if any grammatical or spelling mistakes were done, it was Swyped.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Android doesn't lags on its own, its the manufacturer bloatware which causes the lag. and taking India as a context pricing of high-end phones from both companies is absurd. (exynos crap version for 50k :facepalm: go home samsung, you are drunk. and seriously iphone 4 for 20k :mad: )

LG and Sony FTW!

tkin

Back to school!!
I can't agree with the above comment. Samsung went down to their 'pathetic' build quality race post 2010, before that period all devices were made really good, device like Wave was of brilliant build quality. It started with S3, carried on to Note 2, S4, Note 3, all are horrible. Now they have learnt their lesson, and S5 seems to be of far better built.

Secondly what's wrong with their ASS? I bricked my S2, which was rooted, so officially they were restricted to receive the device, but they did and un-bricked it. I have personally not had any problem with them, nor I've heard anyone having any problem!

Samsung devices do NOT lag, it's Android what lags! iOS is a completely different ecosystem, as well as WP, so there's no point in comparing them IMHO!

As I said, regardless of the bugs, infamous force close and some other freezing / rebooting issues, Android does have a lot more advantages over any OS, there's nothing you can't do with it. Now whether you need it or not is up to you. But you never know when you're gonna need something.

WP : Plain & simple. Not bad. App quantity and quality is nowhere near of Android, not yet. Lack of customisation, hmm. Well it's still an efficient OS, at least it won't let you install another ****ing app in your PC, so you won't be a dog.

iOS : I better not comment. Cause it gives me a pain to even write anything about it. The only advantage it has that app quality, they are indeed better, not in functionality, but overall responsiveness, less bugs. But a person, who is like me, needs less than 50 apps, it doesn't make a bloody difference. A sodding OS can't play a Matroska file out of the box, when I used it I couldn't even set an MP3 as ringtone, that beautifully accurate map, I'll die before installing that iTunes crap on my PC again, I don't wanna go on.....
Build quality is crap, just like S4. The difference is plastic vs cheap glass, both will shatter!

As I said, my parents will have no problem. Cause all they do are clicking on that Dialer icon, type in some bloody number and call that person. Then check a message or two. And if really pushed check something on internet. When I asked my mom after buying a L520 for a mere 7k for her that what difference do you see between this and your previous phone, she says the previous one was slightly faster, but this one is good too, I like it. That previous phone happened to be an iPhone 4, a sodding device I bought for 32k, from a friend of mine, who bought it for 39k and sold to me after using for three months. I asked him why are you selling this, he said that phone was too good for him, didn't get the sarcastic part that day, but I get it more than anything now.

I'm sorry and no offence to anyone but I really have no interest to lose some precious IQ to use an iPhone.

PS : Forgive if any grammatical or spelling mistakes were done, it was Swyped.
S5 better built? Maybe, but design looks like Samsung just tried to pull a Hinustan Motors Ambassador on us :p :p

One gripe that I have about WP platform, is the lack of a file browser(there's an app but its shoddy as hell), if this gets fixed I'll buy a Lumia for sure, Nokia has a special place in my heart, also I had personally seen the prowess of a Lumia camera, and its something Android sets can only dream of yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Android doesn't lags on its own, its the manufacturer bloatware which causes the lag. and taking India as a context pricing of high-end phones from both companies is absurd. (exynos crap version for 50k :facepalm: go home samsung, you are drunk. and seriously iphone 4 for 20k :mad: )

LG and Sony FTW!
Well apple and Samsung knows that here most people who buy uber expensive phones don't care much about the specs(I said most, not all, before someone jumps up and starts shouting), like say for example the CM of a particular state(won't name names), that person has no education(most probably not even 8th pass), yet that person uses an iPod, and the way that person uses it(camera only), that gave me an idea about what kind of market apple is looking at(samsung also, look at their Galaxy golden specifically available for India), there are very few people buying iPhone because they find it better suited to them, most buy oit just for show off. After we finished 1 yr of job, most of my friends had bought an iPhone, a few got 5S, some got 5C, max got 4, some even got 3(some ancient stock from shady shops), some got Galaxy S3, only two of us got G2. Now those person owning the S3,iphone 4 even 3, always say their device is better than mine, I never argue(some wise man said stupidity has no limits). And they are always trying to flaunt it everywhere.

Apple is just using India as a dumping ground for old cr@p.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
S5 better built? Maybe, but design looks like Samsung just tried to pull a Hinustan Motors Ambassador on us :p :p

One gripe that I have about WP platform, is the lack of a file browser(there's an app but its shoddy as hell), if this gets fixed I'll buy a Lumia for sure, Nokia has a special place in my heart, also I had personally seen the prowess of a Lumia camera, and its something Android sets can only dream of yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Well apple and Samsung knows that here most people who buy uber expensive phones don't care much about the specs(I said most, not all, before someone jumps up and starts shouting), like say for example the CM of a particular state(won't name names), that person has no education(most probably not even 8th pass), yet that person uses an iPod, and the way that person uses it(camera only), that gave me an idea about what kind of market apple is looking at(samsung also, look at their Galaxy golden specifically available for India), there are very few people buying iPhone because they find it better suited to them, most buy oit just for show off. After we finished 1 yr of job, most of my friends had bought an iPhone, a few got 5S, some got 5C, max got 4, some even got 3(some ancient stock from shady shops), some got Galaxy S3, only two of us got G2. Now those person owning the S3,iphone 4 even 3, always say their device is better than mine, I never argue(some wise man said stupidity has no limits). And they are always trying to flaunt it everywhere.

Apple is just using India as a dumping ground for old cr@p.

S5 doesn't impress!Time to move on to Chinese brands like Oppo!Hahaha!

Your problem got solved!
Windows Phone update gets a file manager!

I agree Apple is using India is dumping ground because people here are least cared of specs!They just go behind show off !

Just Imagine how an idiot apple user be who will upgrade form i5 to i5c!

In 4/4s I guess this people should get S4 than 4s in that price or MOTO G alone is better than i4!

Anyways eagerly waiting for MotoX+ and Lumia Icon!
I have fallen in love with 1080p Amoled on 1520!But I am not a fan of phablet!

snap

Lurker
why are people trying to validate their choice can't we accept the other brand is as much competent as the other choice in different categories.

this feels like first world problem thread : "which 50k phone should i buy...this year?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom