Apple to cut prices for iTunes downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
The European Commission won another antitrust battle against a US technology company this week. Apple Computer agreed to charge UK customers the same as their European counterparts for music downloads on its iTunes website.

In the second victory for consumers in the past three months, the European Commission dropped an antitrust case against the US company as a result of the decision. In October, the commission won its nine-year antitrust case against Microsoft.

UK consumers were paying up to 7 per cent more for downloads, which cost 79p ($1.55) each, compared with €0.99 ($1.45) on the continent. Apple will cut prices at its iTunes store within the next six months.

Neelie Kroes, Europe's competition commissioner, said the Commission was "very much in favour of solutions that allow consumers to benefit from a truly single market for music downloads".

Apple said it had sold music at a higher price in the UK because some music labels charge more for distribution rights. Steve Jobs, Apple chief executive, said: "This is an important step towards a pan-European marketplace for music."

Which?, the UK consumer watchdog, took the case to Brussels in 2004.

Source

goobimama

 Macboy
Me waits for iTunes store for India... And I hope the tracks are not really high priced cause it will surely fail. Rs. 30-40 would be perfect.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Me waits for iTunes store for India... And I hope the tracks are not really high priced cause it will surely fail. Rs. 30-40 would be perfect.

you means Rs. 30-40 for one track ..or for one album???

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ its per track ravi.

I still but from the US store each track costs 99c but final bill its $1+ tax :p .. video tracks are $1.99 .
@goobi , arya : do you buy from the store?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, we don't. We just use the account to download the free content and grab album artwork. :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ so im just the one guy here who has paid for iTunes music & videos :D :p 8)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Don't you live in India?

Don't you live in India ? How'd you set up your account in the first place ?

Yes I live in india and if you are wondering how I buy music then its from iTunes music cards. its the best way to purchase. I ask my friends in US to buy the cards and the send me the codes for it . I pay them when they return to india.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
lol fixed *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/03a.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.