Apple Exploring 3D Desktop and Application Interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

unni

In the zone
Dozens of Apple patent applications were published today revealing research that Apple had done in 2007 on many topics encompassing future versions of Mac OS X. The most intriguing is a series of patent applications which describe a "Multidimensional" user interface. Apple has essentially been working on true 3D desktop environments. Disclosed herein are systems, aparatus and methods, including a multidimensional desktop graphical user interface.
In one titled Multidimensional Desktop, Apple includes a number of diagrams depicting what such a desktop might look like and how it would work.

*images.macrumors.com/article/2008/12/11/061036-pat2_425.png
This figure (above) shows a multidimensional desktop environment alongside what Apple describes as a multidimensional application environment. Along the side are a number of three-dimensional "function" icons that may trigger certain commands on each surface. These icons can be manipulated in 3D with a physics model so the icons can appropriately "fall" if displaced.

*images.macrumors.com/article/2008/12/11/061037-pat3_425.png
This figure (above) shows that windows could be dragged or displaced across multiple surfaces. Each surface could have its own characteristics and cause icons or windows to display different information.

...Apple has not been the only one working on 3D desktops. One popular YouTube video demos a 3D desktop in action. Sun's Project Looking Glass also demonstrates a currently functional 3D desktop for linux and Solaris x86.
Source: *www.macrumors.com/2008/12/11/apple-exploring-3d-desktop-and-application-interfaces/

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Oh wait there was this third party house thing in Windows too. but it fell back to Windows native environment when you opened any app.

Gimme that and a Touch Screen mac and I am a Macboy for my life Steve.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Microsoft BOB :D , I was one of the few luck ones to see the demo from microsoft itself :lol:, they did admit it was a major failure :lol:

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Apple Exploring 3D Desktop and Application Interfaces
Understandable, with the current generation Macbooks/Pros having unprecendented Graphics Power. Paving ways for future? I think this should be introduced by 2010/11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom