APC UPS replace batteries or get New UPS?

tkin

Back to school!!
Hi guys, I have an APC 1100VA UPS: *www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1100CI-RS

Now, sadly the battery is dying, it trips into warning mode within 1 mins after power cut, and now a days goes into replace battery warning mode if I happen to turn the pc on while its doing self test(~1mins after start up), so its turning into a nuisance, and I am really worried that it might trip one day and crash my hdd, so I have two options:

1. Replace battery, as far APC is concerned this is the original battery: *www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=APCRBC113 I don't care much about originality, duplicate batteries will do as long its from an established company, say eveready. My question is will such an option work?
2. Get a new UPS, at least 1kva, from APC ONLY, so how much does an 1kva+ UPS cost now a days?

So, suggest guys.

I had the same problem last week...

I disconnected all connected peripherals and charged the ups for 18-20 hours..(Off mode)
Now, everything back to normal...

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
I had the same problem last week...

I disconnected all connected peripherals and charged the ups for 18-20 hours..(Off mode)
Now, everything back to normal...
I had done it earlier, it only works for a few times, then it starts causing issues again, this UPS is over 3yrs old, so I don't expect much from the battery anyway.

quicky008

Technomancer
If replacing the battery costs nearly as much as a new ups,then buying a new ups outright would be a better option.Otherwise you should just get the batteries replaced and continue using your existing ups.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Update: I'd purchased a pair of genuine APC RBC113 batteries, so I'm good now.

Vyom93

Journeyman
i am also looking for a UPS for my pc which one is better form this two UPS

APC BR1000G-IN UPS - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

&

APC BR1100CI-IN UPS - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
BR1000G is better overall but also costs more. BR1000G ~ Rs.7500 where BR1000CI ~ Rs.5500

If you have budget get a refubrished smart UPS1500(~9500) with external battery.

Vyom93

Journeyman
BR1000G is better overall but also costs more. BR1000G ~ Rs.7500 where BR1000CI ~ Rs.5500

If you have budget get a refubrished smart UPS1500(~9500) with external battery.

i want to know that spending RS.2000 more for BR1000G justify or not ?

i am also having a inverter in my home which is not a sine wave inverter so can i just change the home inverter to a sine wave inverter and not buy a ups for pc & i don't want to run pc for more the 5-10 min as i just want to shutdown properly my pc

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
well you get power and load LCD + USB monitoring+ powerchute support + in future you can add external battery pack for longer runtime. So BR1000G is worth it.

Don't connect the UPS to any other supply than any pure sine wave supply it can burn the transformer cause it will overheat from Eddy loss.

Home inverters don't have the switching time required for a PC so if you directly connect your PC to inverter it will restart when the inverter changes to battery power.

- - - Updated - - -

if you can spend money on a smart UPS, do that cause those have industrial grade components and pure sine wave output most of the times the output is cleaner than utility power(in terms of frequency,line ripple and stability) will last long and will increase lifespan of connected equipments.

Last edited:

Vyom93

Journeyman
well you get power and load LCD + USB monitoring+ powerchute support + in future you can add external battery pack for longer runtime. So BR1000G is worth it.

Don't connect the UPS to any other supply than any pure sine wave supply it can burn the transformer cause it will overheat from Eddy loss.

Home inverters don't have the switching time required for a PC so if you directly connect your PC to inverter it will restart when the inverter changes to battery power.

- - - Updated - - -

if you can spend money on a smart UPS, do that cause those have industrial grade components and pure sine wave output most of the times the output is cleaner than utility power(in terms of frequency,line ripple and stability) will last long and will increase lifespan of connected equipments.

thanks for helping

- - - Updated - - -

one more query the APC BR1000G is a Stepped approximation to a sinewave ups will it work fine with my Corsair RM 650 SMPS

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
i want to know that spending RS.2000 more for BR1000G justify or not ?

i am also having a inverter in my home which is not a sine wave inverter so can i just change the home inverter to a sine wave inverter and not buy a ups for pc & i don't want to run pc for more the 5-10 min as i just want to shutdown properly my pc

HOME INVERTERS are CAPABLE of fast changeover when power goes off.

i run my pc on a pure sinewave amaron iACE 800va and all loads(fans and lights and 32" sony bravia) and absolutely NO ISSUES
p.s. put ur new inverter in UPS MODE after buying new ups(EXIDE / AMARON )

tell what battery you have and what capacity of inverter u have...
it might give you minimum 10min to hours if load is given properly

Vyom93

Journeyman

HOME INVERTERS are CAPABLE of fast changeover when power goes off.

i run my pc on a pure sinewave amaron iACE 800va and all loads(fans and lights and 32" sony bravia) and absolutely NO ISSUES
p.s. put ur new inverter in UPS MODE after buying new ups(EXIDE / AMARON )

tell what battery you have and what capacity of inverter u have...
it might give you minimum 10min to hours if load is given properly

i am current having 6 years old bajaj inverter ups with this exide battary
Exide Inva Red 500 Plus 150AH Battery: Buy Online @ Snapdeal India

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Home inverters do have the switching time, but it again depends on the load at the time the power goes off. So buy wisely.

Like if I had all my fans, lights and other appliances running, the PC used to restart.

Vyom93

Journeyman
Home inverters do have the switching time, but it again depends on the load at the time the power goes off. So buy wisely.

Like if I had all my fans, lights and other appliances running, the PC used to restart.

if i buy a sine wave inverter i will not get protection from voltage fluctuation and also other safety feature which a ups has ?:-?

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"

if i buy a sine wave inverter i will not get protection from voltage fluctuation and also other safety feature which a ups has ?:-?

you will get protction when the switch at the back of the inverter is in ups mode...
only voltage fluctuations...that is it goes to battery mode when low voltage like 180v and high voltage which is 265v...it will be clearly written in user manual
----
i have a 800va inverter amaron iace with stantubular 150ah and its 5-6 years old and still giving backup like a king and no restarts even if lights + tv(32" bravia, airtel hd, cordlessphone(gigaset)) + fans running....

inverters do have swithcing time and the lights will blink for a sec but computers and other smps based lights(LED lights) dont even flicker for a second(not seen till now its blinking when power goes off and comes back)

one time my mother used a mixi without telling me and i was at the pc and all other load was switched off(no load except pc and standby mode of tv and airtel hd and cordless phone)....mixi is 550w philips
the pc is fine...nothing happened

whats your psu? and inverter model?
pc restart during at time of power goes off is due to weak battery or inverter set in inverter mode other than ups mode

we have LED lights and 2x pc and security cam dvr @ our shop and 2x 2000va inverters and i have a very good experience with it...the most robust inverter design...can withstand 440v ac when the neutral cut at home or at transformer or wire cut at pole and i have experienced this too :)

Top Bottom