anybody saw "Dasavatharam" -south Indians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shashank_re

In the zone
Bangalore mirrors ratings are not at all good.They give 3 star for even a flop kinda movie!
Times rating is quite acceptable.

New

Padawan
Even you can't believe TOI too...I have had bad experience with that movie..I think TOI too has given 4 stars..

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Report i dont mind. i thought i wud find friends, but wat i found was ppl who bash their fellow forum members for actresses and movies whose directors even dont know u guys exist. Thank u very much for offending me.

So, when you like making friends, you go and start using profanities? There's a much better approach :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
watched it yesterday night! watchable movie. ofcourse not for non tamilians or those who cant understand tamil(no subtitles will help!). also ,ppl who are watching should have some idea of how Vaishnavism and Shavism fought each other!.
good movie!

roonie

Journeyman
Wow...great movie must watch..!..Kamalhasan has done a wonderful role of 10 avatars...If you want story dont c..coz it doesnt have a story only chasing but superb...too good...loved it..but Asin scenes are sleepy and boring..The villian is the MAN> in this(gr8)...

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Without expectation, this is a good movie. In fact, I can't remember any recent movies without a duet (apart from Taare Zameen Par). But as a Kamal's movie, the screenplay doesn't impress. Neither does the storyline. No logic justifies the need for ten avatars. Worse still, Kamals expressions were lost behind the heavy makeup.

Thankfully, the film was released in four theatres including two Adlabs screens. Rs.40 for a ticked in Adlabs Lakshmi [Vellore, TN] was worth it for this film considering what other pay in other theatres for the same here and other cities/towns.

Still, Kamal was n times better in Anbe Sivam in any manner except the grandeur, which this movie is all about.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
I wanted to go tomm... but only 7:30 AM show available at sathyam... but who cares... its been released on net already...

V

vinod1979

SAGAS READ THIS NOW..2ND WEEK COLLECTIONS OUT!
SIMPLY SUPERB BOX OFFICE RUN! NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE....ONLY A MEAGER -26.3 % DECREASE IN COLLECTION.

*www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/weekend/...k=25&p=.htm

$3,416,778 Million (June 20-22)

Total After 2 weeks : $11,653,212 Million Dollars (ALL US FIGURES)

In INDR - 49,78,25,128.93

Almost 50 croes!

Sivaji the boss after 5th week it self did not reach this mark
Just off the records

siringa ba indha news paarthu

5th week, Sivaji the boss collects only $3,010,357

*boxofficemojo.com/intl/weekend/?yr=...k=28&p=.htm

Party time!!!!

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
I watched the movie, and its awesome. However, its only watchable once, and has absolutely no replay value. Its good, but not worth the hype. If kamal had done it without exposing that he's doing 10 roles, it would have been better.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Kamal should have did 5 roles and named the movie "Panchavatharama". In the end, I am wondering why the hell he did 10 roles. Some roles are totally un-necessary. 2hr 15 minutes movie lenght could have been a sweet spot (by removing Avtar Singh, Vincent Poovaraagan, Kalifullah Khan, Balaram Naidu) for the movie and would have been a terrific fast action thriller.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Rangaraja Nambi was totally unnecessary. He was never in the plot, not at all related to the story, but still kamal starts the story from him... bad scriptwriting?

Avtar singh was unnecessary. He was just for removing cancer via a bullet, and providing another oppertunity for concealing the idol.

vincent poovaragan was necessary, since he addressed an issue thats quite prevalent in tamil nadu, if not other southern states.

kalifullah khan was for the same reason as avtar singh. probably the worst of the 10 avtars of the story. in fact, nagesh(his father) was better than kalifullah khan.

balaram naidu was for comic relief. he is on the grey area between necessary and not, though his scales tip on the positive direction since he's rated the most favourite avtar of the movie goers .

govind ramaswamy was mary sue. he's the real star of dasavatharam, since the whole movie is not for the story or anything, just for awards. "ulaga nayakane..."

george bush was for cheap imitations. what is kamal running? a chinese plastic factory? the bush portrayed in dasavatharam will be accurate when his daughters marry and have children and he is at the ripe age of 80 or something.

christian fletcher was good. he played the golden retriever and hutch dog for hire, but screws up the end where he suddenly turns into a megalomaniac bent on releasing the virus. reason? well, how else would kamal spend one crore of producer's money for making a tsunami scene?

shingen narahasi was just like avtar singh, maybe even more unused. i saw him in only 3 scenes, i guess, not counting the fight in the end.

krishnaveni paatti was just like narahasi, and it should be noted that while narahasi is for action element, krishnaveni is for the sympathy element, and both of them only take place at the end.

overall, a good film, worth watching once, but even if you are gonna swap chewing gum with your gf at the last row, dont watch it more than once. absolutely nil replay value, and an overly mary sue-ed protagonist makes this just a commercial attraction, and the overly hyped 10 avtars end up more than half unused.

edit:
worst dialogue of the movie:

doctor: "sir, this is a very deadly virus, and can only be stopped by tons of nacl"
george bush: "what's nacl?"
his assistant: "sodium chloride, sir"

sheesh, if he cant get what nacl is, he cant understand what sodium chloride is!!!! its called SALT for a reason...

axxo

99.9% Idle
Rangaraja Nambi was totally unnecessary. He was never in the plot, not at all related to the story, but still kamal starts the story from him... bad scriptwriting?

dheeraj, I think you didnt understand what the movie is for and every scene in this movie is related to one another...your review is totally out of focus and couldnt get worser for a movie like this.

As someone quoted in another thread(a link to excellent review was made in it) am pasting the same here to get know what this movie is all about.

The 1st scene is perfectly connected to the climax, remember what Kamal says in the 1st scene, that he will not say “Om Nama Shivaya” , but Asin tells him to chant it , but still Kamal refuses, ( in this kamal in his story tries to tell that ) Nambi believes in his god more than anything, but Asin feels “Its ok if we change the god or chant other god’s name, its life thats most important.” Now if u see the climax its JUST OPPOSITE!!…. Kamal doesn’t believe in god much and values lives of people the most….

but Asin deeply believes in god and that too this dialogue comes when both Asin and Kamal’s hand is on the god which came from the sea , and it also means that they are getting united from the place they departed hundreds of years back ( Kamal and Asin)!!!.The connection between the 1st scene and the climax in the movie shows the generation circle combined with supernatural powers of GOD and destiny…..!!
If you watch it closely u can also find another actor who has done double action other than Asin and Kamal :-
Asin’s father Sahasranamam [12th Century], in the beginning he says to Nambi “Panchatchira manthirathai sollitu vaango mappillai” and at the End [After tsunami] he says “Avar enna jathiyo inga vaanga paati “.
Another Eg. of Chaos Theory and circle of life.

Nambi explanation:
Okay, this is slightly outside the chaotic system driving the film as a whole.From what I could gather he says that this story is about ideologies like God,the madness surrounding such ideologies and decides to tell the story of the Shaivite-Vaishnavite conflict to show how people go crazy in the name of God as an example.
As a loose end,it gets tied up in the end,when the Ranganathar idol is thrown out of the sea due to the tsunami which highlights the cyclic nature of life.Actually the Nambi character highlights both Chaos and Karma which I explained.That is the brilliance of this film,there is so much to see and understand.
Another explanation(and this is slightly far fetched— as explained earlier) is that Govind is in fact the reincaranation of Nambi. As Nambi he couldn’t protect God and died in the name of God.In order to fulfill his Karma,he is reincarnated as Govind Ramasamy who ultimately saves the world from destruction.The idol in the end somewhat hints to this theory; his story began with the idol and it ends with the idol.
When Govind and Andal goes to the bury the idol in the sands, Andal will stumble on a particular stone couple of times…This is the same stone as the one from 12th Century hen Kothai rips her Thaali and flings it at Kulothunga Chozan !!…it will end up hanging on the stone. So, the implied message here is Andal is Kothai reborn in the 21s century !!.
During the encounter with Santhana Bharathi in the sand quarry, it is repeat of the incident from 12th century. Instead of Kulothunga Chozhan, it is the Sand Mafia which tries to inflict damage on the land.
This movie is a brilliant juxtaposition of independent characters whose paths cross, if only briefly, which is stunning example of Chaos Theory.
Actually kamal has not left anything for our imagination… Explanation struck the right chord, Kamal does tell to Asin in a dialogue that idol which gets sunken back then gets struck between the tectonic plates under the sea and causes tsunami…
Many people missed this dialogue i guess. Kamal’s accent was so very perfect Tamil, that many people missed it…. Being perfect Is a Problem by Itself!!
Its not just the statue that caused the tsunami, but it just started a large chain of effects which kept multiplying exponentially and finally lead to it after 800 years….!!
Why just say this concept is perfectly illogical… it is possible… thats what i have been explaining all the while !!!
The story line is that things going wrong are made to be right which involves many people and countries knowingly or unknowingly.
KNOWINGLY:
Bush, Manmohan Singh, Govindh, Fletcher, Balaram Naidu, Mallika Sherawath.
UNKNOWINGLY:
- Nambi’s drowning to death with the heavy statue causes simple changes to the seabed that causes a devastating tsunami 800 years later [Acc. to Chaos theory it is possible.... although it is least probable... It is possible.. so nothing TOTALLY WRONG About it ]
- Poovaragan(actually saved kamal unknowingly—when poovaragan enters kamal and asin were caught by those manal kollayargal.There poovaragan distracts the gang helping kamal to escape),
- Avatar Singh (gave way to Fletcher to escape in the airport unknowingly),
- Japanese Narasahi(saved govind from fletcher,he knows he is saving but he doesnt know about the play and was there only for revenge),
- Kallifulla and family (saved govind unknowingly)……..
-Vincent is a dalit leader of a lower caste( the so called ) but saved an Iyengar Girl ……and at the end becomes the son of the Iyengar Paati !!
- If Shingen Narahashi’s sister was not killed, Fletcher could have killed govind and used the virus for wrong purpose..
This is all based on the Chaos Theory..!!
more on this *movies.sulekha.com/tamil/dasavatharam/reviews/57904.htm

Its nothing but a perfect movie - 10/10.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
^^ That was no review, more like a clearing up of the movie, and explaining the subtlety behind the story, that only people who read it would understand. A normal movie goer would NEVER get all these stuff. I, like 198 others in the cinema, watched it as a casual watcher, and not like the reviewer here who probably watched it like ten times or so to grab all the ideas said.

Lets face it, when you watched the movie, if you had not read the review before, what would you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom