Any Transitions Lenses User Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandar5

Youngling
Hey ppl i m oing to buy this photochromatic lenses very soon.Does anybody here used them before?Plz tell me ur experience ,its pros n cons,thanks. :)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Not advisable. Photochromatic lenses change the intensity of darkness with change in the ambient lighting, and are hence touted as a convenience.

Problems:
1. When coming into a building/room in the day time you will take a few seconds to adjust as the tint has to decrease to match the indoor lighting. Its not like you're taking off your sunglasses

2. Once you make a habit of it you will not be able to tolerate even a little amount of sunlight. I being a doctor (and a moderately high myopic/astigmat) do not use photochromatic lenses. Sunglasses or photochromatic lenses are suitable for people with field jobs involving a lot of work in the sun, or driving (as in long distance drivers).

3. They always seem to have some amount of residual tint indoors; this can be quite annoying.

Solution:
If you have a refractive error and need glasses for constant use order two pairs of glasses - one regular without an anti reflection coating, and another power sunglass if you really require it. I do not recommend anti reflection coating on regular lenses as washing them with soap and water becomes dicey. I once smudged the coating and had to get the lens replaced. Check with your optician if glasses with anti reflection coating can be washed with soap and water; from my experience they can't be.

I use high-index glass lenses (also called compressed glass lenses). These are cheaper than high index plastic lenses, but remember, the optical properties of glass are superior; but two frames with high index glass instead of one with high index plastic lenses. Plastic lenses get dull and yellow and discolour over time. I only wear these from 8 p.m. onwards at home, and sometimes at work if I cannot wear my contact lenses for any reason.

Last edited:
OP
M

mandar5

Youngling
Thank u....i must call u Sir ! I am myopic and my no is -3.5 for both eyes.I need a pair of glasses which can reduce the intensity of sunlight during afternoon as i find it very unbearable.Also the lights from vehicles of opposite lane cause blindness while driving at night n last but not least i need glasss which give uva and uvb rays protection.Can u plz tell me which type of glass shud i use.Currently i m using frameless coated plastic glasses .i dunno what is name of coating but they develope a greenish shade when outside or reflection of tube light.Also they r almost unnoticeable from distance thats why i got the coating. Plz reply soon i will be going tomorow afternoon to optician.Thanks

prasad_den

Padawan
@nucleuskore: I've read somewhere that since myopia requires converging lenses or something like that, sunlight becomes difficult to tolerate with normal glasses. So myopics are advised photosensitive glasses..! Is this true..?

amitava82

MMO Addict
I have photo chromatic glasses. I'd definitely suggest them. I cannot tolerate high sunlight, so these are very helpful and easy on eyes. But once you get used to it, its really difficult to go out in sunlight without glasses. I wear contact lenses sometimes and feel uncomfortable in direct sunlight.

OP
M

mandar5

Youngling
hey amitava does ur photochromatic glasses permanently remain dark or they become lighter in indoor as shown in ad of Transitions lens?thanx.

contactram

Broken In
it is better to go for transition lenses (available only in plastic) over glass photochromic lenses if you want UV protection.but as it was pointed out earlier plastic lenses need better care than glass lenses and also a lot more expensive. u can get glass lenses for 250 and transitions will cost u more than 2k

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Thank u....i must call u Sir ! I am myopic and my no is -3.5 for both eyes.I need a pair of glasses which can reduce the intensity of sunlight during afternoon as i find it very unbearable.

No need to call me Sir, you're not the queen to knight me ;)
Yes it is helpful to tolerate the afternoon sun

Also the lights from vehicles of opposite lane cause blindness while driving at night n last but not least i need glasss which give uva and uvb rays protection.Can u plz tell me which type of glass shud i use.Currently i m using frameless coated plastic glasses .i dunno what is name of coating but they develope a greenish shade when outside or reflection of tube light.Also they r almost unnoticeable from distance thats why i got the coating. Plz reply soon i will be going tomorow afternoon to optician.Thanks

The greenish shade you have on your lenses is probably (not sure, only your optician will know) is an anti reflection coating. As I mentioned earlier, its difficult to clean, can't really use soap and water, so please ask your optician, they usually give some spray with the flannel. Its quite expensive (imported).

It will NOT help you in night driving

In general, if you have a lot of sun exposure alternating with indoor work, use photochromatic. If you have only sun work, have two pairs of glasses, a power sunglass and a regular pair of spectacles. Best solution, use contact lenses and regular sun glasses. I use Baush & Lomb disposable (once a month) Toric lenses. You will probably require regular lenses, not Torics, if you do not have astigmatism (an entry in the Cyl column of your prescription).

@nucleuskore: I've read somewhere that since myopia requires converging lenses or something like that, sunlight becomes difficult to tolerate with normal glasses. So myopics are advised photosensitive glasses..! Is this true..?

Myopics require Concave Lenses, so out goes that theory. You must be confused.

prasad_den

Padawan
Myopics require Concave Lenses, so out goes that theory. You must be confused

:D :D Must go back and read some basic physics books..!! :D

But once you get used to it, its really difficult to go out in sunlight without glasses

Very true..!
And somehow I hate contact lenses... just tried them once., but was not comfortable with them..!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
The greenish shade you have on your lenses is probably (not sure, only your optician will know) is an anti reflection coating. As I mentioned earlier, its difficult to clean, can't really use soap and water, so please ask your optician, they usually give some spray with the flannel. Its quite expensive (imported).
There are 2 types of Anti-glare coating. One is Green and the other is Violet. I've used them in 2 different times. Green is more powerful and reflect more light and so your vision is without glare and clear.

I'm so hooked up with this thing that now I don't want to have a lens without the coating.

Regarding the cleaning, from my exp (just 6-7 years or so) cleaning is always little difficult. Anti Glare coating doesn't has anything to do with it. It might look "dirty" from outside, but when you put your glasses on, it's so clear.

In general, if you have a lot of sun exposure alternating with indoor work, use photochromatic. If you have only sun work, have two pairs of glasses, a power sunglass and a regular pair of spectacles. Best solution, use contact lenses and regular sun glasses.
I also recommend to go for a Power Sunglasses and an ordinary one. Having said that you might get adjusted to photocromatic lenses once you're used to it.

NucleusKore -
How much do these cost:
1. Plastic lenses
2. disposable lenses
3. contact lenses

Been using a glass only for all these time..

NucleusKore

TheSaint
NucleusKore -
How much do these cost:
1. Plastic lenses
2. disposable lenses
3. contact lenses

Your question is a little hard to follow drgrudge.

1. Plastic lenses - what was referred to above are spectacle lenses. Price varies with the power, especially if its high.

2. Disposable lenses - these are contact lenses. I use Baush & Lomb disposable toric lenses. Being a moderately high myopic/astigmat, my toric lenses are made to order for my prescription. My once a month disposable Baush & Lomb lenses cost me Rs. 4840 per year, as per my current stock of lenses. If you have regular simple myopia, it should cost you half of this or less as those lenses are mass produced. What I have quoted is the MRP. Actually margins on these things are fat. If you know a doctor (ophthalmologist) you can get for still less.

3. contact lenses- these are the usual regular soft contact lenses. If you go for Silk Lens (Bangalore), they can be quite cheap (say Rs. 2000 for a pair) and will last you for two to three years. But these are thicker that disposables. I was an advocate of these lenses and was using them till I tried disposable lenses.

The advantage of disposable is you throw them after a month. Imagine how your vision is when you get a new pair of spectacles done. You'll have that feeling every month. Plus because its very thin you do not realise you are wearing lens till some water splashes into your eye.

Last edited:
OP
M

mandar5

Youngling
hey thanx a lot ppl i hav ordered frame wid transition lens. It cst me 4400. I will get delivery on thrsday.will let u know how it feels. Thanx again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom