antivirus updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahendran

Journeyman
dear friends.

where is this antivirus updates stored in ?i use win xp pro.since the virus updating is done automatically,i want to know where is it stored so that before formating one can save it

djmykey

Let the music play.....
which av u r talking abt i dont think that we can save any files as such u gotta keep those files somewhere safe and then when u reload the av u can reapply those update files. Or else dl the newer version of the av. Thats it.

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
well if r using norton then the definition files are stored in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs

dunno about others but must be pretty same .
u keep getting the updated definitions in the cds/dvds given by digit.so theres really no need for keeping them stored. install those and then download the latest which may be about 500 kb-700 kb( approx unless there is some threat which needs more )

cheers

OP
M

mahendran

Journeyman
i use avg.i know that i could get their latest versions some time from digit cds or some other cds.still i want to know where these updates are stored for not only retrieving the same, but also for learning.

well; this forum is meant for that, is it not?i feel the forum is equally helpful\useful to newbies like me and techies.i am getting lot of information\help from this forum even within a short span of about 2months.

saROMan

QA Juggler
if u have AVG then ur updates r stored in ur...

x:\program files\grisoft\avg\updates .........folder..whr x stnds for ur root dir.......

just copy these files n save some whr else....eazy.......

Hey PPle now wanna Put my problem...

am using Kaspersky 5 personal....so the updates r stored in Temp dir..and r deleted after updation....how can i Backup them..... for safety???

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I'm bumping this thread coz I didnt want to start a new thread :D

I too want to backup AVG Updates.

But when i searched for the folder as saROMan suggested, i didnt find Updates folder ( even not HIDDEN ) and there was AVG Free folder in Program Files not AVG?

Pls tell me guys how to backup all the updates for AVG?

PS: I saw two files AVG7DB_F.DAT and AVG7QT.DAT in C:\ drive. what is this? r these also related to those updates?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
OK!!!

Finally I found the location, where AVG updates r stored after d/l ing :D

What I did while d/l ing the updates I searched for the same file (u1f381*.bin or something like that) using windows search and it showed me the same file in following directory:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin

So it means all updates r stored in that directory and we can safely save them in neother location for future uses...

atool

Journeyman
Vishal Gupta said:
OK!!!

Finally I found the location, where AVG updates r stored after d/l ing :D

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin

thanks m8 ! even i was looking for AVG update file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom