Antivirus For Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Conqueror

You dont need any kind of antivirus for linux . Thats all.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Linux is secure.. then why we have to install security updates?
That's expected from VB programmer :p
C'mon as a programmer you should know the answer better. There can never be bug free programs, beyond some simple hello world and such. Also, there can be many other loopholes in the security of the system.
And never under-estimate the power of human minds, it's the biggest loophole there is and no security policy can fully protect from it.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
That's expected from VB programmer :p
C'mon as a programmer you should know the answer better. There can never be bug free programs, beyond some simple hello world and such. Also, there can be many other loopholes in the security of the system.
And never under-estimate the power of human minds, it's the biggest loophole there is and no security policy can fully protect from it.
Yes Exactly.. I know the answer, I deleberately asked the question so that we can debate more on this. lets hear more from you guys. And what about SUID executables? SUID programs can be used to harm a computer isnt it?

How does a computer get infected or hacked be it windows or *nix? .. this is also a delebrate question.

I don't install AV, Firewall, Anti Spywares in Windows also. :twisted: Why you want one on *nix?

The AVs available for Linux is for protecting Windows users. Aayush wrote this article: Antivirus applications - Do you need them?

Replace Mac OS X with *nix (Suse, in your case).
mac is next to win in virus infestation, though much more secure.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Yes Exactly.. I know the answer, I deleberately asked the question so that we can debate more on this. lets hear more from you guys. And what about SUID executables? SUID programs can be used to harm a computer isnt it?
yeah they can be

and for all those guys who think linux is the most secure, remember that despite being one of the most secore OSes around(all distros, read Linux/BSDs are falling under the most secure catogary today), there can always be a possibility of its being hacked and human errors being exploited to infect the victim. I could for example, post a shel script online and tell you to run it, after entering root password, and claim that it really boosts the system performance. In reality, it may contain a loop that gets executed everytime an pp is opened and slow the system, or delete important files, or even worse, install an app that sends private data to somebody elsewere. All we can do is to have watchful eyes, use software from only trusted sources, make a sandbox machine via VMWare and test apps, or learn that shortcuts blindly followed may contain death pits.

And hacking is even worser. A Hacker can hack any system if he has the brains, and no OS can prevent a real human hacker from hacking a machine.

And once again, windows and macintosh are ofcource, really really bad. Windows is as you all know, inscure. But Mac on the other hand, was made out of the world's most secure OS during that time, FreeBSD. But its code was disected, and parts removed to make it "Simple". This resulted in many vulnerabilities, in places like the Dock. They are still not learning to remove some "easy to use features" and make a pro version of mac(pun intended) for the paranoid, and at the same time also allow boot through the insecure(read "current") version of mac for the lazy, foolish and stupid.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
if you're so paranoid then it's time to look at things like SELinux, AppArmor, BSD jails, extended ACL's, grsec, RSBAC, etc.
Time to switch to gentoo *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions#Security_features ?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
mac is next to win in virus infestation, though much more secure.
What does that got to do with what I posted or related to the topic? Anyway, I don't install AV, Anti Spywares, Firewalls, Anti Browser hijackers, Anti {insert whatever is available} in my PC. Even on a Window Machine. Heck, I don't even update the OS fixes that MS releases^. I don't format my PC like junkies every 6 months. I would have formatted my 8 year old PC not more than 15 times. Some for updating (I started out with Windows 98 SE).

^ - Expect Mac OS X, you might get additional features or some bugs quashed. :D

What does that got to do with what I posted or related to the topic? Anyway, I don't install AV, Anti Spywares, Firewalls, Anti Browser hijackers, Anti {insert whatever is available} in my PC. Even on a Window Machine. Heck, I don't even update the OS fixes that MS releases^. I don't format my PC like junkies every 6 months. I would have formatted my 8 year old PC not more than 15 times. Some for updating (I started out with Windows 98 SE).

^ - Expect Mac OS X, you might get additional features or some bugs quashed. :D
thats all because you are you.

I
on the other hand, am really really paranoid. I have home security checks personally for who ever comes in and goes. I sleep with a stick, a fully loaded with steel bullets air gun, or with all doors bolted. I take insanely high level of precautions in PCs too. Then there is the fact that I have blackmail packages against anyone who has discovered a rare and un spread secret about myself. I just can't help it. I need security, and that at an eXtremely high level. Security was one of the main reasons I made the switch from windows to linux.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
This silly, idiotic topic is growing growing growing and growing.....

Two mods have posted here but why don't any of them close this topic ? huh

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

How does a computer get infected or hacked be it windows or *nix? .. this is also a delebrate question.
Yea sure.. I can write a script saying rm -rf / but wont i need your root password to run it? How would i get that? That's what makes linux secure.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Yea sure.. I can write a script saying rm -rf / but wont i need your root password to run it? How would i get that? That's what makes linux secure.
exactly.. isnt it possible that any regulay user will just enter the password thinking its just another script? .. and just settings the x bit will make it executable. so any novice user would think its just another program which wants permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom