Anti Lock Braking System(ABS) to be compulsory for all commercial vehicles.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
In an attempt to make highways safer, the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has decided to make anti-lock braking system or ABS mandatory for all new commercial vehicles hitting the road from 2014.

"A notification will be issued by us in two months time and the norms will be made mandatory in a year from then. However, this rule will not apply for the vehicles already plying on the roads," said a senior road transport ministry official.

A great move, I must say. Will surely help in bringing down the number of accidents.
Let's just hope the quality of ABS on these vehicles. :p

*Sorry for the adfly link. Standard link here.

shreymittal

Being Human
A RULE LIKE this should also be applicable on LMV (LIGHT MOTOR VEHICLES)

THANKS RANDOMUSER

Last edited:

randomuser111

Technomancer
No No, LCV is also correct but it's Light Commercial Vehicle, not Community :)

I thought u intentionally wrote community lol

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
With the coming up of Expressway almost all over India ABS and Airbags should be mandatory feature along with seatbelts.

Really appreciate the decision of Road ministry .

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Its desperately needed in India..I say make safety systems like airbags and ABS compulsory in India...it will increase the cost but i guess your life is more important than money...if you can afford to pay 4 lakhs on a car or so..surely you can afford to pay another 30-50k or so on safety systems...

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
They should specify what kind of ABS is the minimum standard that has to be implemented. Not all kinds are equally good.

Another thing is that permanent roads and ABS go hand-in-hand. On dirt/sand and other non-permanent roads, ABS actually increases the braking distance because the wheels continue to roll. So I would expect highway development to be boosted to complement this decision.

They should specify what kind of ABS is the minimum standard that has to be implemented. Not all kinds are equally good.

Another thing is that permanent roads and ABS go hand-in-hand. On dirt/sand and other non-permanent roads, ABS actually increases the braking distance because the wheels continue to roll. So I would expect highway development to be boosted to complement this decision.

+1
ABS on dirt roads and even cement roads for the matter will increase the risk rather than decreasing...
Its seem the law was passed to help the ABS manufacturers... just like the compulsary helmet law..
The law is no longer implented as the Helmet manufacturers had their fill...

Top Bottom