hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Hi i just purchased a new computer with the following specs :-
AMD Athlon x2 4400+
Jetway DGD-690 motherboard with ATI X1250 chipset
2 GB RAM
250 GB SATA HDD
Sony DRU-835 A dvd writer

Now the problem is whenever i try to install linux on the computer the installation procedure hangs in the middle, i mean to say that live cd doesn't boot, only Ubuntu 7.04 64-bit managed to boot, i need to install PCLinux OS as i want to try out it. But it isn't booting from the live cd, it just hangs in the middle and there's no activity on the DVD writer. Please help me............

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^:D

@hellknight: You can install ubuntu 7.04 64bit. Your PC can support it so go ahead and install. And as pathiks said, maybe the PClinux is not able to detect your gfx card as ati has a BAD record of providing linux drivers.
Ubuntu supports huge variety of hardware and hence it can detect the gfx card. So this might be the reason that it can be installed but not PClinux.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
most of the distro hav this failsafe option while bootin with live cd....

while bootin choose failsafe or type failsafe at boot prompt....

then it will keep detectin ur respective hardware components... at a certain point it will get hang.... and will also display the last hardware which it was trying to detect and got hang.... let me know what r the last few lines on ur screen.... :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
pathiks said:
haha ... ati gfx + linux = hell :D
correction: ati gfx + linux =shell!! :D :D :D

ontopic: try to start the linux setup in expert mode to narrow down on the problem. also install via the text based install mode if gfx compatibility is the problem.

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Thanx guys, thank you very much, by the way i'll be soon upgrading to a DX 10 capable graphics card based on Nvidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom