Announcing Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate (RC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marulez

Broken In
Today we're making available the release candidate (RC) of Windows Vista SP1 via Microsoft Connect, and tomorrow subscribers to TechNet and MDSN will have access to those RC bits too. In addition, the RC will be available to the public next week via Microsoft's Download Center. The release candidate phase of beta software is typically the final phase before the RTM (release-to-manufacturing) of a product and indicates that the code has attained a significant level of performance and stability.
Let me call out several changes made since the Beta release of Service Pack 1 -- many of which came about as a result of direct feedback from our Beta-testing community (thank you!):
  • The size of the standalone installers have decreased significantly. For example, the standalone installer packages consisting of all 36 languages (x86 and x64 chip architectures) are smaller by over 50%. The standalone installer packages consisting of just the 5 languages (again, x86 and x64) slated for initial release are more than 30% smaller in size.
  • The required amount of disc space for SP1 installation has also decreased significantly. Furthermore, with the RC, if more space is required to install SP1, an error message will now display exactly how much space is needed to complete the installation.
  • Previous SP1 versions left behind a directory of files that wasn't needed after installation and occupied about 1GB of space; the RC includes automatic disk clean-up to remove this directory.
Source
Today we're making available the release candidate (RC) of Windows Vista SP1 via Microsoft Connect, and tomorrow subscribers to TechNet and MDSN will have access to those RC bits too. In addition, the RC will be available to the public next week via Microsoft's Download Center. The release candidate phase of beta software is typically the final phase before the RTM (release-to-manufacturing) of a product and indicates that the code has attained a significant level of performance and stability.
Let me call out several changes made since the Beta release of Service Pack 1 -- many of which came about as a result of direct feedback from our Beta-testing community (thank you!):
  • The size of the standalone installers have decreased significantly. For example, the standalone installer packages consisting of all 36 languages (x86 and x64 chip architectures) are smaller by over 50%. The standalone installer packages consisting of just the 5 languages (again, x86 and x64) slated for initial release are more than 30% smaller in size.
  • The required amount of disc space for SP1 installation has also decreased significantly. Furthermore, with the RC, if more space is required to install SP1, an error message will now display exactly how much space is needed to complete the installation.
  • Previous SP1 versions left behind a directory of files that wasn't needed after installation and occupied about 1GB of space; the RC includes automatic disk clean-up to remove this directory.
Source

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
errr just downloaded the RC preview few days ago, and didnt get time so installed just 2 days ago :lol: now the new version :lol: anyway will download today and will install to check :D

anandk

Distinguished Member
^ since i also use my lappie for work, i guess i will wait for yr reactions and then install on it after a few days! :D

Some more on the subject of Vista/SP1 from MVP communique: (sigh i could have just added my sites link, but then again someone will start getting palpitations; hence copy-pasting from it) :D

"Microsoft is targeting to deliver SP1 RTM in Q1 CY08, and it will collect customer and partner feedback from the beta program before setting a final date.

Windows Vista SP1 is an update to Windows Vista that, along with improvements delivered to users via Windows Update and via MS hardware and software partners, addresses key feedback from our customers. SP1 is going to be released in two waves.

The initial release of SP1 will include 5 languages (English, French, Spanish, German, and Japanese). The second release containing all 36 basic languages will occur afterwards.

Windows Vista SP1 will provide key improvements around security, performance and reliability, especially around scenarios that are most important to end users and businesses including:

1. All previously released updates since RTM
2. Performance and reliability improvements in core scenarios such as file copy, network browsing, and improved response time to resume from sleep.
3. The installation experience is improved as compared to the beta. This is evidenced by higher install reliability rates, smaller standalone installer size, less disk space required for install and reduced install time.
4. There are improvements to the administration experience. One of the most important changes we’re making is that BitLocker now supports encrypting for multiple volumes

For administrators managing Windows Vista PCs configured to use Windows Update but not wishing to deploy SP1 upon its release, there is a "blocker patch" that will prevent installation of SP1. Information on the blocker patch can be found at TechNet, starting tomorrow

Windows Vista SP1 is an update to Windows Vista that, along with improvements delivered to users via other channels, addresses feedback from our customers. In addition to previously released updates, SP1 will contain changes focused on addressing specific reliability, performance, and compatibility issues, supporting new types of hardware, and adding support for several emerging standards.

SP1 also continues to improve upon the IT administration experience. SP1 is not intended to be a vehicle for releasing new features; however some existing components do gain slightly enhanced functionality in SP1."

SP1 is definitely going to make Vista lil better, if not much. I am avidly waiting for it. By the way, did somebody noticed any timebomb in it? Anand, Whats up?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I got it right now using MSDN subscription. It uses Windows Update....the full 400 MB file will be released to public next week

SP1 RC has a timebomb, it will stop working on june 30 2008 (lots of time left)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
It needs to download 140 MB here, so right now it's downloading. Will let u know if everything goes fine.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ GX will Microsoft be releasing SP1 CD's ? .. I remember SP2 CD was given by microsoft for free. ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
All that I know right now is that Vista SP1 will be relased in 2 editions

1) Windows Update which will only download about 60 or 70 MB as required according to your computer

2) A full 300 or 400 MB file which u can use to install offline or slipstream in the Vista DVD.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Don't know....i m sick of frequent power cuts here...haven't compleated downloading it yet....everytime there is a powercut i have to cancel it.

narangz

Web developer
^^ Thanks, sir :)

Why does it show copyright 2006 to me? or is it changed after SP1 RC installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom