Android without GMail/Google ID

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Is it possible to use an Android phone without a Google or GMail ID? Unmodified with factory default OS.

As far my memory goes I was asked to enter these first time I switched on my Xperia ZR. I may be wrong.

I bought a Lava Iris X1 this week for my brother-in-law. He got it today. While I had set up a Google ID for him, he just called me from his new phone and said that he never had to enter it at all.

Vignesh B

Youngling
It can be run without a Google ID. While setting up the phone for the first time, select you don't have Google ID, then select not now(when it asks to create an account now). But forget all the data contacts syncing.
But what's the use of an Android without the Google services. It is almost crippled.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I was just wondering. I will ask him to fill it in later. Right now he has no wifi and no internet pack active.

.jRay.

Youngling
Android without google is bad (like the movie attack of the clones). And whats the use? You can't download from play store, nor can you get emails.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Hypothetically it is possible to install applications from so many other sources. As far as I know there are many other email providers.

I was curious because earlier I thought it was impossible to operate an Android device without Google ID.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I was curious because earlier I thought it was impossible to operate an Android device without Google ID.
You can skip Google Account setup and install apks by sideloading....but u will get random popup for apps which uses google id while running.

HBK007

Journeyman
Yes google is like the interface between the modern version of Android that OEM's use and the user... You have to be very careful with apk's as many of them are infected with malware.... Also you won't get any updates for them.
PS; Please support developers by buying their app and not sideloading them.

Last edited:
OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Yes google is like the interface between the modern version of Android that OEM's use and the user... You have to be very vareful with apk's as many of them are infected with malware.... Also you won't get any updates for them.
PS; Please support developers by buying their app and not sideloading them.
I am not suggesting piracy.
There are other legitimate app stores.
Further many developers supposedly make apps available as .apks for direct download.

HBK007

Journeyman
I am not suggesting piracy.
There are other legitimate app stores.
Further many developers supposedly make apps available as .apks for direct download.
I know but one more problem about not signing in with google.
AFAIK if you want to sideload apps you need a file manager......
I don't know about your device but many OEM's don't include it in the system apps collection.
So to execute APK's you need a file manager which you have to download from the Play Store which won't work without a Google ID....
This is what I know correct me if I am wrong.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I know but one more problem about not signing in with google.
AFAIK if you want to sideload apps you need a file manager......
I don't know about your device but many OEM's don't include it in the system apps collection.
So to execute APK's you need a file manager which you have to download from the Play Store which won't work without a Google ID....
This is what I know correct me if I am wrong.

Send the file manager's apk through Bluetooth and then click on the notification. Once the file manager is installed, you can install other apps too.

Top Bottom