Android - How to install a new ROM without losing progress achieved in Candy Crush Saga?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
As there has not been any solution to root a Sony Xperia ZR on Android 4.3 yet I am looking to replace the Sony ROM with a pre-rooted stock ROM provided by Ralf_Waldo@XDA Developers.com.
Also my wife's Sony Ericsson LWW on ICS is laggy a lot and there is a KitKat based ROM available that I am interested in.

However the biggest sticky point is the progress achieved by my wife ( :) ) in Candy Crush Saga on both phones. This can NEVER ever be lost as that will be the end of life for me ;-)

Is there a way where in I can just backup the data of this and any other application to my PC and restore that back once the ROM is changed and application has been reinstalled?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
See if the app provides some kind of cloud option to save the progress. This may include registering with their service.

If there is no cloud save option then you need Titanium Backup app. (*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup)
This app can take the backup of the app as well as data associated to it. Needless to say it requires root access to work.
Hence, you will have to find a way to root the device.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Titanium backup requires root access and busybox I think.

@OP Rooting is possible through Android 4.1 method.
1.Downgrade to 4.1
2. Root it using doomlord's rooter.
3.Backup DRM keys.
4.Flash 4.3.
5.Unlock bootloader.
6.Flash Cyanogen kernel.
7.Install Super SU binaries.
8.Flash back only the 4.3 Kernel using the same ROM used to flash earlier.
9.Install SuperSU through Appstore.
10.Re-lock bootloader.

More details on xda forums.

Titanium backup requires root access and busybox I think.

@OP Rooting is possible through Android 4.1 method.
1.Downgrade to 4.1
2. Root it using doomlord's rooter.
3.Backup DRM keys.
4.Flash 4.3.
5.Unlock bootloader.
6.Flash Cyanogen kernel.
7.Install Super SU binaries.
8.Flash back only the 4.3 Kernel using the same ROM used to flash earlier.
9.Install SuperSU through Appstore.
10.Re-lock bootloader.

More details on xda forums.

I think using all those methods will lead to deletion of Candy crush saga's progress

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
If you have a fb account, sign in to it from with in Candy Crush. The next time you install Candy Crush, sign in again to the same account and your progress will be updated.

Edit: Don't bet on this. I usually change ROMs now and then. I got bored with CC and uninstalled it. I installed CC after a gap of few days, my progress got updated after I signed in with the fb account. Though I am not sure if I changed the ROM inbetween.

Last edited:
OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am planning this method from XDA for my ZR:
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2655893

Helium is supposed to be able to backup applications including data without root.

I was looking for someone who has successfully executed this.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Root the phones.
install titanium backup and take backup of candy crush saga
install the rom
install titanium backup and restore candy crush saga (app+data)

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
Why not just sign in with facebook account? :facepalm:

OP already mentioned he does not use FB account for games.

@OP your best bet would be to backup using an application that does not require root access. (Helium is my recommendation)

And then go ahead with flashing whatever ROM you require.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
OP already mentioned he does not use FB account for games.

@OP your best bet would be to backup using an application that does not require root access. (Helium is my recommendation)

And then go ahead with flashing whatever ROM you require.

how will he flash a rom without rooting and unlocking the bootloader? :chinscratch:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Hope these help

[Q] First things to do before rooting xperia ZR 4.3 .101 - xda-developers

[Tip]{All firmwares} Easily root an Xperia ZR with unlocked bootloader - xda-developers

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The method linked in post #7 above uses pre-rooted stock rom. It does not require unlocking bootloader as the kernel is standard Sony.

Top Bottom