An Unofficial guide to spywares and online safety ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Some of The best antivirus (latest)
arranged according to their RANK

1. Bit defender $24.49
2. Kaspersky $49.95
3. ESET NOD32 $39.99
4. Trend Micro $35.95
5. F-Secure Antivirus $60.89
6. McAfee Virus Scan $39.99
7. Norton Antivirus $39.99
8. AVG Antivirus PRO $38.95
9. CA Antivirus $49.99
10.Norman Virus Control $39.95

About BitDefender

TopTenREVIEWS - Gold Award - Awarded for excellence in design, useability and feature set

The best line of defense against computer viruses, spyware, hackers and spam is BitDefender 2008, our #1 ranked anti–virus software and winner of “TopTenREVIEWS Gold Award.” BitDefender 2008 is an outstanding product with a user–friendly interface that will scan all existing files on your computer, all incoming and outgoing emails, IM transfers and all other network traffic.

This latest version of BitDefender has a new Gamer Mode feature that minimizes impact on gaming performance so you can play safe. The software still has all of the reliable features for which Bitdefender is known such as “Privacy Protection” for outgoing personal information, “Web Scanning” while you’re using the Internet and “Rootkit Detection and Removal,” which detects then removes hidden virus programs.

BitDefender has also improved their existing B–HAVE feature that runs pieces of software on a virtual computer to detect code that could be an unknown virus. In addition, a setup wizard makes it easy to customize security settings.

Top Antivirus from About.com :

Antivirus software is must-have protection. This review picks the best antivirus software based on its virus detection abilities, features, and breadth of protection. Whether you're seeking total system coverage or an ala carte solution, each of the following products provides superb virus protection for Windows-based PCs. Because every system is unique, evaluate several of these antivirus products to find the software best suited for your PC and your level of experience.
1. Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium
AntiVir is a consistent leader in independent antivirus tests. Avira's AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium is a low-impact, easy to use virus scanner that also includes rootkit detection and phishing protection. Five euros of each purchase is automatically donated to the Auerbach Foundation, a non-profit that supports various charity and community-related services. AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium should be used in conjunction with a firewall.

2. Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal offers excellent antivirus protection, perhaps unsurpassed in its ability to unpack and scan compressed files - something that trips up a lot of other vendors. Should be used in conjunction with a firewall.

3. BitDefender Antivirus Plus
Softwin's BitDefender Professional protects against viruses, spyware, and instant messaging threats, as well as offering firewall rules to block undesirable traffic and a privacy gateway to keep your identity and preferences private while surfing the Internet.

4. McAfee VirusScan Plus
McAfee VirusScan Plus is an ideal candidate for those seeking an antivirus/firewall combination without all the bloat of traditional Internet security suites. McAfee VirusScan Plus makes an easy job of removing adware and spyware, something not all antivirus products deliver.

5. Panda Antivirus 2007
Panda Antivirus 2007 combines antivirus, antispyware, and antiphishing with its highly touted behavior-based TruPrevent Technology. License covers use on two computers and includes free tech support via email (telephone support options are also available).

6. F-PROT Antivirus
F-PROT Antivirus for Windows offers a feature that's increasingly harder to find - it includes a command-line scanner that can be used to create a rescue CD for scanning the system in Safe Mode. This is a particularly effective way to remove stubborn resuscitators. Firewall not included.

7. G Data AntiVirusKit (AVK)
AntiVirusKit (AVK) provides a double layer of protection, bundling two of the best antivirus engines - Kaspersky and BitDefender - under a single, easy-to-use console. Like Nod32, you'll also want to bolster G Data's AVK with a firewall.

8. AVG Anti-Malware
AVG Anti-Malware combines traditional virus protection with adware and spyware scanning, in a low impact footprint ideal for resource-strained PCs or those who just want the best performance possible out of their computers. Free tech support is available via email and the standard license includes two years of protection. Should be used in conjunction with a firewall.

9. Eset Nod32
Nod32 features a small footprint, low performance hit, and fast scan speeds, providing focused virus protection ideal for gamers or those with an older PC. Should be used in conjunction with a firewall.

ILR

Right off the assembly line
Spyware Doctor Starter Edition with AV is a good free antispyware from PCTools.
Read more here*www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/
If you wanna pay, buy Spyware Doctor Paid Version.

Download Threatfire . It is also a good security mechanism and it's free too.
For more information go to *www.threatfire.com/

Visit PCTools fo more

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
Hey I prefer Noob Killer for clearing out malware, adware, spyware and viruses. It has got many options including a 8-X Kill which will clear all malware at one go. I have got positive results with it.

din

Tribal Boy
Great info. Thank you Batty. Copy pasted to the syllabus wiki ;)

@others - asked his permission before doing that !

hpotter606

Journeyman
The best way to prevent a virus/trojan etc from entering your PC through pen drives is to use address bar to open the them instead of double clicking the pen drive. A lot of people are unaware of this.When i was unaware of this, I used to search *.* in the pen drive with hidden files enabled. A virus cant run by itself if you are not executing it by some way. This feels like Harry potter teaching Dumbledore's army the Expelliarmus spell :). Many people will say that they know this but many wont. This is most simple and yet very effective way prevent viruses from entering your computer.

Also many virus/Trojans can be manually removed if the view hidden files and system files are enabled.Usually .bat , .exe, .vbs types of files are viruses. Also remember to remove autorun.inf file.

I hope this information helps.

Last edited:
OP
it_waaznt_me

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
^^ But the problem is by default Autorun is set to be enabled on Windows machines .. You may use Panda's USB Vaccine for your pendrives so that if you insert it into an infected machine, your pen drive will not become infective ...

hpotter606

Journeyman
Well it only opens a box giving me the options to choose about how to open the drive. I can easily press cancel and open it from address bar. Then again if the drive automatically opens in a computer, we can simply turn off the autorun feature. I usually use tune up utilities to turn of autorun but there must be a way to do it without tune up.
I used my machine for around 5-6 months without antivirus but I used a firewall for internet. Not once did my machine get infected. I would simply open the drive from address bar and delete the viruses manually (with hidden and system files enabled).

I was telling this method just so that if the antivirus is not updated or the tools like the USB vaccine are not available to the person, he can still prevent the virus from entering the computer which makes it the simplest method. Otherwise the antivirus can do the job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom