An Open Letter and Invitation to Dell: OpenOffice.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
Recently, OpenOffice.org invited Michael S. Dell (CEO, Dell Computers) by writing an open letter to him so that the two organizations could work together and pre-install OpenOffice on computers shipped by Dell. OpenOffice.org quoted the results of recently conducted IdeaStorm survey which was run by Dell to know the wishes of its customers. In the survey, more than 75,000 people voted for pre-installing OpenOffice.org.
Dell Computer Corporation has become one of Fortune's “America’s Most Admired Companies” by providing great value, high quality computers and peripherals, but most of all, by listening to your customers. Your recent “IdeaStorm” initiative is the latest example of this. Here at OpenOffice.org, we were delighted to see that the second most requested feature by Dell customers was to have our office software pre-installed on Dell systems. This request attracted more than 25,000 votes in two days.

We believe that OpenOffice.org 2 software perfectly matches Dell’s values. OpenOffice.org 2 is high quality office software, the result of over twenty years’ continuous software engineering. It runs under all common operating systems. It offers everything users expect from office software, plus some bonus features that may pleasantly surprise them. It’s easy for customers to use, with a familiar look and feel, and can read and write a wide range of file formats, including Microsoft’s. On top of all this, being licenced under open-source terms, it represents outstanding value for money for you and your customers.

Let’s have a conversation about how we could build an “OpenOffice.org supplied by Dell” product to give your customers what they are asking for. We’d also be happy to accept any financial contribution that Dell might offer to help ensure that OpenOffice.org continues to evolve in the future.
Source: OpenOffice.org

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The thing is, by buying MS office with a new systems, customars get it for real cheap. But free as in beer is always better then paying even $80 for OEM MS office.

One thing which MS should do is to reduce the prise of Office 2007 standerd edition to $80 & release it for anyone to buy. It contains Word, Excel & Powerpoint, everything that a home user will need. Not everyone uses Outlook which is also available as a standalone application.

Sourabh

Laptoping
While I really like Dell bundling some free softwares and considering to go the pre-installed Linux way, I will admit my personal opinion that users demanding Linux to be pre-installed on PCs from Dell has more to do with the fact that it will help reduce the price tags. Certain systems like high end XPS gaming desktops, Workstations and Notebooks in general are better off to come pre-installed with Windows than Linux because it makes more sense. OEM Windows is always cheaper. Although Dell can still offer the choice to give Windows from their customization, but I really feel that MS will considerably hike prices for OEM Windows if this happens as this will hurt their sales. For years, Dell prescribed Windows for every system they sold and in return MS offered unknown discounts for OEM Windows Copies which largely contributes to Dell's earnings. Recent Windows Vista OEM pricing again proved it.

I see no good reason why Dell should not provide OpenOffice will their systems. MS Office is costly and not worth paying for no matter how good it is at those insane prices. Moreover, after the IdeaStorm launch, if they have to do anything nice which users want - this is it!

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Wow , gr8 news for me. I have just been selected by Dell , Chandigarh yesterday. I m a great fan of OSS and Linux. I have also heard the news of Dell laptops coming with preinstalled Linux instead of windows . Its really great.
And that 75000 figure reminded me of their workforce all across the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom