AMD shows its Zen CPU can compete with Intel’s best

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
*core4.staticworld.net/images/article/2016/08/amd3-100677528-large.png

AMD on Thursday finally unveiled its new Zen microarchitecture, with a pair of CPUs that could put the company back into the fight with Intel’s best.

AMD said its Summit Ridge CPU, aimed at high-performance desktops, will pack 8 cores and feature simultaneous multi-threading technology to give it 16 threads of processing power. Summit Ridge is targeted for Q1 2017, though a trickle of chips could appear sooner. A second chip for servers, code-named Naples, will feature an astounding 32 cores with SMT, giving it 64 threads per CPU. SMT is similar to Intel’s Hyper-Threading technology, which splits a single core into two virtual cores for more performance.

To prove that Zen has the right stuff, AMD officials on Wednesday night demonstrated before a crowd of reporters and analysts that an 8-core Zen could run just as fast as Intel’s newest 8-core consumer Core i7 chip.
The demonstration used the multi-threaded Blender rendering application on two similarly configured PCs. One featured an engineering sample Summit Ridge chip, while the other featured a new Intel Broadwell-E Core i7-6900K CPU. While the Core i7-6900K can run up to 4GHz on some workloads, AMD conducted the test with both CPUs locked at 3GHz.

This methodology may seem unorthodox to some, but matching the chips clock-for-clock helps reveal their efficiencies. Conducting the test this way also helps AMD protect the final shipping clock speeds of the chips. In the demo, which was performed just once, the Zen finished a nose ahead of the Broadwell-E Core i7-6900K chip.

It’s just a single test on an unreleased CPU, and under the control of AMD. Still, the significance of the performance feat quells any fears that Zen would be the all-too-familiar “too little, too late” story from a company that has eaten Intel’s dust.

The demonstration exceeded the crowd’s expectations. “This is the most exciting AMD (CPU) launch in a decade,” said Kevin Krewell, principal analyst with Tirias Research, who attended the event. “They really have hit the mark on this.”
*images.techhive.com/images/article/2016/08/amd1-100677527-large.png
AMD officials also lifted the curtain on Zen's completely new microarchitecture. Gone are the shared, clustered multi-thread cores of the previous Bulldozer and Piledriver designs—Zen’s cores are stand-alone cores with SMT. The chip is being fabbed by spin-off company Global Foundries on a 14nm process, using FinFet technology.

Source: AMD shows its Zen CPU can compete with Intel’s bes

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Any news on their upcoming mobile (Zen based) CPU/APU to be used for notebooks or hybrids???

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Any news on their upcoming mobile (Zen based) CPU/APU to be used for notebooks or hybrids???

Since this was just revealed, I think their mobile line up will be revealed later.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn! The underdog seems to have something now, just hope they price it well.

Ironically, Intel used to be the underdog once upon a time.

Hrishi

Since this was just revealed, I think their mobile line up will be revealed later.

- - - Updated - - -

Ironically, Intel used to be the underdog once upon a time.

The days of AMD sounds pretty medieval right now!
I hope they better be good this time, the monopoly in mid-range and upper-range CPU market is getting worse.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
AMD Zen and Motherboards with Wraithe Coolers (65w TDP & 95w TDP Processors)

*i.imgur.com/GYQGe8G.jpg

*i.imgur.com/ENc0uNl.jpg

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
Lol @cable management :p. Perhaps they intend to show that the Zen withstands even with poor airflow in the cabinet /s

On a serious note: I hope this doesn't turn out underwhelming like their FX lineup. I don't expect them to handily beat the i7. But atleast performing close to the heels of the i7 will be a good sign for AMD.

Another thing is pricing. If it delivers close to ~80% performance of an i7 at the price of an i5, it would be a win for AMD.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
No.

AMD showed these Rigs containing their Zen Processors (both 65w and 95w TDP Summit Ridge) and RX480 Graphics Cards.

AMD is going to release their Zen Processors in October,2016.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
Zen won't come untill 2017

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Wait those rig pics are from AMD? Doesn't look like it. The second pic has a cheap PSU with no sleeved cables lol.

Top Bottom