AMD sees the era of Moore's law coming to a close

heidi2521

Padawan
AMD sees the era of Moore's law coming to a close | ZDNet

"You can see how Moore's law is slowing down," said Gustafson. "The original statement of Moore's law is the number of transistors that is more economical to produce will double every two years. It has become warped into all these other forms, but that is what he originally said."

And Gustafson should know what Moore said, because the phrase "Moore's law" was first coined by professor Carver Mead at Caltech, and Gustafson was a student of Mead's.

"We [AMD] want to also look for the sweet spot," said Gustafson, "because if you print too few transistors your chip will cost too much per transistor and if you put too many it will cost too much per transistor. We've been waiting for that transition from 28nm to 20nm to happen, and it's taking longer than Moore's law would have predicted.

"I'm saying you are seeing the beginning of the end of Moore's law."

5fusion

Journeyman
Silicon has already reached close to it's threshold. Graphene is the future. It'sway faster than silicon circuit.
Ohh yeah Graphene.. seen a documentry by physicist Michio Kaku on it on Disc. science long back and i was totally blown away by the wonders it could do in this field:hyper:. But i lost track of it & need to get in touch with it:reading:. thanks for the recall mate:).

Hrishi

Graphene is very promising but still a long way to go though. AFAIK , there are several other alternatives in scope like Carbon Nanotubes , indium-gallium-arsenide .

Graphene is very promising but still a long way to go though. AFAIK , there are several other alternatives in scope like Carbon Nanotubes , indium-gallium-arsenide.

Graphene is very promising but still a long way to go though. AFAIK , there are several other alternatives in scope like Carbon Nanotubes , indium-gallium-arsenide .

Graphene is very promising but still a long way to go though. AFAIK , there are several other alternatives in scope like Carbon Nanotubes , indium-gallium-arsenide.
You forgot DNA based computing. Both graphene and DNA computing have been successfully experimented. Some people have successfully created logic gates from human DNA.

Top Bottom