chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Re: Will AMD Ryzen live up to the hype?

You didn't get my point AMD X4 was in production in year 2010 while Intel i5 4210U was in production in 2014 still there is no significant performance difference between them and actually AMD x4 beat i5 by 500 points.

I actually bought my AMD X3 based system for 20k while i spent 47k and even though i spent twice the amount of AMD X3 system it is not worth it only positive about my laptop is portability.

Finally my point is even though i5 is costlier and has done better in benchmarks its still inferior to my old AMD athlon X3 in real world performance i feel my AMD X3 system is far snappier than i5 4210u

And you didn't get my point :facepalm:
Compare a desktop CPU to a desktop CPU, not a laptop one. Laptops are much weaker than desktops for the same price.

And a second gen intel i3 CPU beats a Athlon X4 both released in Q1 2011
PassMark - CPU Performance Compariso

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

It beats, yes but passmark is a stupid benchmark tbh.

Finally my point is even though i5 is costlier and has done better in benchmarks its still inferior to my old AMD athlon X3 in real world performance i feel my AMD X3 system is far snappier than i5 4210u
Don't compare a desktop CPU to a laptop CPU like chimera201 said.

An actual quad-core i5-2500K blows Athlon II X4 away. I own two machines, one still has i5-2500K and other one has A8-3870K (CPU slightly better than Athlon II X4).

Coming back to Ryzen, there has been a seemingly legit leak.

*i.imgur.com/NN2HUQ5.jpg

Translation courtesy of tpi2007 @ Overclock.net

Computing performance

H.264 1080p & H.265 4K encoding, WPrime, PovRay 3.7, Blender 3D, 3DSMax 2015 / Mental Ray, Corona Benchmark

With its eight real cores, Zen achieves some prowess despite the limited 3.3 Ghz frequency. It even gets dangerously close - for Intel - to the Core i7-6900K, offering performance comparable to that of the i7-5960X at the same frequency (3.3 Ghz Tubo mode). The allegations made by AMD a few months ago seem to be true in practice and that's excellent news. Compared to the FX-8370, we noted a performance gain of around 35% at the same clocks, in line with AMD's predictions (40%).

(Note from me: concerning the last sentence, that's actually not what AMD said, they said 40% more IPC compared to Excavator. Here they are comparing it against a Piledriver CPU, which is two revisions prior. In any case, more IPC and more performance don't have to necessarily 100% match.)

Gaming Performance

Far Cry 4, GRID: Autosport, Battlefield 4, Arma III, X3: TC, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Anno 2070

If the results may seem disappointing in face of the average of the games tested, it should be kept in mind that the prototype tested is an eight core with an especially low base frequency (in particular Turbo mode). Now, games are still very sensitive to clockspeeds and have a hard time benefiting from more than 4 cores. It's thus difficult in these conditions to compare it against an i7-6700K, where the clocks surpass 4 Ghz. Notwithstanding, the Zen architecture proves itself to an effectiveness degree that we haven't seen from AMD in a long time.

Power consumption

Measured at full load (in watts)

The power consumption measurement of the Zen CPU was made with a current clamp at the ATX 12V connector at full load. While true that it's less precise than the ones we usually make with an oscilloscope, it gives a good idea of the performance of Global Foundries' 14nm LPP process. Once we remove the parts related to the motherboard's VRMs, we estimate that the CPU uses a little less than 90w, a number very close to that of a 6900K. A result that is a good indication for what comes next.

The Zen architecture should allow AMD to make a serious comeback in the CPU market, including the high-end segment that they abandoned for a long time. Intel risks a setback, which is a well deserved consequence of years of laxity and arrogance (the Core i7-6950X at 1900 euros is the perfect illustration). Do we expect a return of true competition in the CPU market? Not everything is yet won by AMD. While it does seem that the eight core CPUs are on the right track, the CPU maker must rapidly finalize the four core derivatives with noticeably higher clockspeeds than current prototypes: 3.8, looking into 4 or 4.2 Ghz seem to us the minimum to tickle the latest Kaby Lake CPUs. At last, there is still one unknown: the pricing. While certain rumours talk about a rather low price list, we doubt that AMD will sell them at sales prices now that it at last has an opportunity to recover from its years of losses. Above all, it shouldn't crap itself on the final straight...

IPC performance seems to be there. They just have to release a highly clocked Quad Core to compete with Intel's Quad Core i7s for the gaming market.

Minion

Conversation Architect

LOL! i3 may be better with benchmarks but it is still a pathetic processor. You can't even do multitasking with that thing my friends who are using i3 based laptops are crying for why they didn't get a AMD A8,A10 based laptop at much lower price.

lets stop this discussion here. This thread is about AMD RYZEN we are spamming this thread for nothing.

Nerevarine

Incarnate

i3 laptops are pure ****, especially the U series, but the desktop variants do have a lot of performance associated with them. The newest gen i3 beats the i5 2500K in all single threaded tasks, and beats in some multi threaded tasks.
Im still skeptical about Ryzen, I want them to succeed, that will bring competition.
The jump in performance from 1st gen i series to sandybridge was massive, because at that time AMD was competitive, recently however, intel just provides 5-10 % improvement each year rehashing the almost same product in new LGA slots..

IF they provide a budget 6c processor that wont be a bottleneck for 1440p gaming, then GG intel

chimera201

Wise Old Owl

Processor performance have been stagnant since Intel Sandy Bridge. Hopefully RYZEN will change that.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Processor performance have been stagnant since Intel Sandy Bridge. Hopefully RYZEN will change that.
Actually in that simplistic sense, it is just matching Sandy Bridge.

The only thing it would do is make 4C/8T mainstream.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X CPU benchmarks leak | CPU & Mainboard | OC3D New

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core CPU Benchmarks Leaked - Thousand Dollar Performer For $389

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

Intel finalising Ryzen spoiler Core i7 and i5 chip designs says report - CPU - News - HEXUS.net(Intel Core i5 with HT)

mobo

Broken In

Ryzen may just live up to the hype, but the real question is: should Indians be hyped up for ryzen? Given AMD's history of poor pricing in India...

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

Clock speeds and pricing have been leaked for AMD's entire Ryzen lineup | CPU & Mainboard | OC3D New

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

AMD Unveils 16 AM4 Motherboards, X300 And X370 Chipsets, And 17 Full System

Nerevarine

Incarnate

The 6 core cpu better be worth it otherwise seeing its equivalent AMD pricing to RX 480 = ~250 Dollars, it could cost about 22k-25k.. Perhaps CPU pricing would be much lesser, akin to 15-16k but who knws

ZTR

Cyborg Agent

The 6 core cpu better be worth it otherwise seeing its equivalent AMD pricing to RX 480 = ~250 Dollars, it could cost about 22k-25k.. Perhaps CPU pricing would be much lesser, akin to 15-16k but who knws
*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170213/ff7bdb2ace43590c6841f87824b2e815.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Nerevarine

Incarnate

*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170213/ff7bdb2ace43590c6841f87824b2e815.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

229$ RX 480 translated to 21k here, if its same price, then in india it could cost 21k, no one would buy a midrange amd cpu for that much
Hoping that in case of processors, price gouging would be less

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

imo, the difference is GPUs are sold by board makers but CPUs by AMD themselves.

Ryzen price will be in accordance to Intel's, even here in India.

Nerevarine

Incarnate

imo, the difference is GPUs are sold by board makers but CPUs by AMD themselves.

Ryzen price will be in accordance to Intel's, even here in India.

Yes, thats a valid point, here's hoping amd ryzes back

chimera201

Wise Old Owl

AMD Ryzen Reviews and Shipping Coming on February 28th | techPowerU

Will have to wait till March 2nd for the benchmarks that matter.

mvk3772

Broken In

Considering the Amd's past which I'm not aware of and The future Demands ... Making sure The Product is NOT unbelievably priced - Neither Low or High but still Giving A Good Competition To Intel.. How Is the Pricing Of Amd Ryzen Going To Be? Especially In India?

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

nac

Aspiring Novelist

Considering the Amd's past which I'm not aware of and The future Demands ... Making sure The Product is NOT unbelievably priced - Neither Low or High but still Giving A Good Competition To Intel.. How Is the Pricing Of Amd Ryzen Going To Be? Especially In India? 
How many would be buying dedicated graphic card? I feel most would want iGPU and for now AMD is not bringing any APUs and Intel in that regard is safe and good. Intel may lose some market share, but won't be a huge slide in the near future. When AMD brings Ryzen APUs and price it aggressively, will see where Intel stands then.

When I was checking few months back, AMD CPUs retail pricing are about 40% (average) higher than the US.

Top Bottom