AMD Radeon HD 7970 official review thread

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
GCN or not GCN if their top end card is performing this way then we can speculate that their mid high cards to perform quite well..!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Time to talk of the overclock potential:

*www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1805/jc2-overclock.jpg

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card Review - Overclocked Benchmark Results - Legit Reviews

:hyper:

Piyush

Lanaya
lolol
it can be summed up as

GTX 580's highest =HD 7970's lowest :lol:
also it outperformed 590 in some benches too :lol: :lol:

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Anil, I think it is the perfect time for you to upgrade to HD 7970 from your existing HD 4890 CF. You always wanted a single GPU solution and I think it is the best option now.

rchi84

In the zone
From my understanding of reviews, the biggest thing to take out from this gen of cards is the fact that tessellation is no longer an nvidia dominated zone. Like cilus said, this levels the playing field for now, even in games like crysis 2 which had to resort to invisible tessellation to show the 6xxx series weakness.

The other thing is that this card is running on what I would consider to be an alpha driver. the performance will definitely improve over six months with new catalyst releases.

Third, these cards respond much better to ocing than the 6xxx series. I expect that by the time kepler launches, we will have a 7980 with 1.2 ghz launch speed as amd seems to have the headroom for it.

These used to be amd's weak areas and looks like they have worked on all of them. That leaves nvidia fans grumbling because they have to wait for the green team to show up to the party.

Pricing is a bit of a sore spot but amd needs to make money so they are justified in charging what they want in a scenario where they can stay ahead of an oced 580 comfortably.

My expectations from die shrinks is more realistic. I don't expect new gen tech to trounce previous gen dual card tech :) those days are long gone.

As a consumer I can't wait for kepler to launch as this will mean amd will reduce the prices which would be a win win scenario.

Some of the reviewers are not able to hide their bias. Techradar seems to be the worst. They find it difficult to pat amd for doing something right for once lol.

^^ Anil, I think it is the perfect time for you to upgrade to HD 7970 from your existing HD 4890 CF. You always wanted a single GPU solution and I think it is the best option now.

You know, it's kind of funny no one mentions the 4870x2 anymore. If you look at toms gpu hierarchy, that card is right up there with the 570, 6970, 6950 in dx 10 games.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Summary: any modern CPU (only quad cores and above tested) would do for a single card. Good to see those stuck with a Phenom II/Athlon II or get a BD early or sticking with the first gen i5 can upgrade their graphics card without bottlenecking the GPU as long as they game on and over 1080p (which majority of the gamers do).

AMD has a winner here for sure.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
With HD7970 AMD now holds the crown for Fastest Single GPU ;-)

BTW, is there any review of HD7970 made by 3rd party manufactures with custom made pcb / cooler - just to see what's the OC potential this gpu has under the hoods with some necessary mods ;-)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
7970 on 3rd party chips is a long way off. Let the cards hit even the US markets first lol.

The reviewed cards had gone straight from AMD to the reviewers.

AIB partners didnt send any GPUs yet.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Probably you guy's are gonna see some advertisements in the Bazar section, selling some HD 6870 sooner. :mrgreen:

Man I want HD 7970, really.

sukesh1090

Adam young
look at those performance numbers of oced 7970.they are above 590.its up to nvidia now.how it will answer with its kepler.but till that this 7970 gaint will rule the world for 6months.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
And by the time kepler comes, AMD can release a OCed (read 1GHz+) 7970 in the guise of 7980 or like. ;)

OC Guide:-

Radeon HD 7970 Overclock Guide

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this was not posted here ;-)

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3 GB Review - Page 1/32 | techPowerUp

they have managed to OC the mem upto 1715 Mhz !!! ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's some pricing infos ;-)

AMD Radeon HD 7970 Launch in India, price, specs and features - iGyaan.in

*www.fudzilla.com/home/item/25314-amd-radeon-hd-7970-priced-at-us-$54999

Top Bottom