AMD is NOT crap. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrix

Broken In
I was planning to go in for AMD Athlon 64 3000+ but this dealer tells me not to. He says to go in for Intel P4 insead coz supposedly AMD processors give problems after like six months or so. He said something about "cache failing" which I personally found hard to believe. All in "his experience" of course

I'm not sure I believe him, but it would be great if you guys could assuage my fears. Have any of you been using an AMD processor for a long time? With no problems? Like the performance?

Thanks

OP
A

Astrix

Broken In
Ah. I was looking at more than that, that "six month" period he talks of. Sounds pretty ridiculous... but still...

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
thats total bull.....AMD 64 is right now selling hot cakes. If at all the cache failed and that too in 6 months dont u think more people would have complained about it ??? It sounds to me more like ur dealer trying to palm off some Intels he not able to get rid off. Also AMD 64's are future proof. I personally had a AMD Athalon XP 2400+ for over a year and just recently went in for a AMD 2600 + Barton for OC purposes...both are working like a charm mate.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Re: AMD is NOT ****. Right?

Astrix said:
I was planning to go in for AMD Athlon 64 3000+ but this dealer tells me not to. He says to go in for Intel P4 insead coz supposedly AMD processors give problems after like six months or so. He said something about "cache failing" which I personally found hard to believe. All in "his experience" of course

I'm not sure I believe him, but it would be great if you guys could assuage my fears. Have any of you been using an AMD processor for a long time? With no problems? Like the performance?

Thanks

Computer Dealers earn more from selling Intel than AMD as Intel Processor earn more Margins for the Dealer. Intel not only spends a lots in advertisement but they also make sure Dealers are lot happier in selling Pentiums by giving them more Margin. Thats one of their strong strategy. Like Wise its all in the favour of Dealer to encourage Coustomers to purchase Intel than AMD.However who pays unlimatly we know.
Ignoe the Dealer and go ahead with AMD..Will serve you a lot better and more future ready if you a willig to spend that extra Cash.

rohanbee

Padawan
Hey i read/heard somewhere that AMD is opening direct stores all across india , the first one is already up and running in Delhi (nehru place i think) that should put you at ease and give you all the range of their products at good prices in india. :)

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Astrix, if you're asking about AMD CPUs in general and not 64-bit
exclusively, here's my experience in brief.

For the last 3 yrs, I've had at least two AMD computers in my home at any one time, running an average of 15 hrs a day. I've built over 100 AMD machines for others too and not a single one has failed.

Three of them suffered lightning strikes at different times through networks and they all survived. One had only the discrete LAN card destroyed while the other two had integrated LAN ports and the motherboards had to be replaced (mobo chips literally blown apart, the network switch a charred mass). But the CPUs all ran normally the next day.

That's how tough they are - and probably Intel CPUs too in this
respect, though I've used a much smaller number of Intel systems.

I've built only a relatively few 64-bit machines and of course, they've
been around only a short while. Needless to say, they're doing well.
--

dcp15121980

Broken In
keep in mind that when u buy a good processor u need to buy a good mobd for it so that u could get the best performance.dont buy good processor and low quality mobd that may degrade the processor even from the normal performance

netcracker

Journeyman
Yes go for AMD...btw is it true that if one doesn't run a 64 bit OS a 64bit processor is not utilised fully and still acts like a 32bit processor

wise

Broken In
Yes netcracker, athlon 64 runs in 32 bit mode for 32 bit OS.
But 64 bit is not the only good thing about athlon-64. The other gem is on-die memory controller which enhances system performance significantly even when running 32 Bit.

OP
A

Astrix

Broken In
Thanks for all the comments, guys :)

Could someone suggest a good, reasonable motherboard for the A64? I was thinking on the lines of a K8V. Onboard stuff (sound, preferably video too) would be great.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
ATM there's not much in the way of onboard video. Let's hope nVidia comes up with another good integrated video like they did with their nForce and nForce2 chipsets for Athlon XPs.

There's at least one mobo with S3 Unichrome graphics, but unless you're going to use it mostly for office work, IMHO it's a poor match for the A64's capabilities. Can't recall the model number right now..... I'm getting ready for bed, perhaps tomorrow ... :) G'night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom