AMD Initiates Pilot Production of 45nm Chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Dirk Meyer, the new chief executive officer of Advanced Micro Devices, said during a conference call with financial analysts that the company had initiated pilot production of microprocessors using 45nm fabrication process and that the chipmaker was on track to deliver actual products in volume in early fourth quarter.

“We are well on track with the 45nm plan as we have been telling this group about in the past. We have actually started production late last quarter and are on track to start buying shipments early in Q4,” said Dirk Meyer during the conference call.

Earlier it was widely believed that AMD will only manage to start shipments of its 45nm microprocessors late in Q4, however, the company now seems to be a bit more optimistic about its 45nm transition.

Nevertheless, AMD’s conversion to 45nm fabrication process is not completely flawless. Back in mid-2006 another high-ranking executive at AMD – Daryl Ostrander, senior vice president and manufacturing and technology, showcased a presentation to investors and financial analysts where he indicated that AMD’s Fab 36 was on-track for volume 45nm production by mid-2008, one and a half years after 65nm and about half a year later than Intel Corp., which started revenue shipments of 45nm products in late 2007.
AMD hopes that by mid-2009 its production capacities will be completely transited to 45nm process technology.

“Typically it takes us 3-4 quarters to flip the factories once we start so that would say it would be largely converted roughly in the middle of next year. Much of the capital expense we are bearing now is in support of that plan,” said Mr. Meyer.

Source

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
Only time will tell the fate of AMD. Core 2's have consolidated Intel's position on the desktop processor arena. Let's hope they'll pull off better Phenom-enon.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
When did I say it was bad? I only know that when it comes to performance, Phenoms lose out against Core 2's, and AMD just have to create a real phenomenon to gain back what it's lost out to Intel (remember the days when Athlons thrashed Pentiums?)

shantanu

Technomancer
:) arrey ! yeah i do remember ! i dunno how but Whatever happens i still love AMD , i bought a Phenom today as i previously said.. real life testing is yet to come , but Everest Ultimate edition shows it beating Qx6700 :eek: , oh man and i have used that too :)
i didnt meant to say that you quoted it bad :D ( mis )

and i am a AMD user from k4 :)

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
good to hear that.....i was planning on an upgrade to X3 and 4850 and just then our college tour damaging bout 12~14k has been announced...:D
so, i ll have to wait for the upgrade...and it seems the wait is worth it.
So AMD is not that far behind Intel as it seems....they were almost 1~1.5yrs laing and now its shortened to .5 years.
good work AMD.
Hope ATI too wud shift to 40nm TSMC before my next upgrade.:)

Take your time AMD, take your time. But when you DO bring out those babys, PWN intel.
I am making my next big (laptop?) upgrade only on June 2009.
I also hope AMD brings 40nm in their Radeon cards.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Guys a bit offtopic.. but is Phenom installable on X2 based mobos.. i mean i've 4400+ X2 (65nm) with HT 2000.. i wanna upgrade to Phenom.. will it be supported by my mobo?

Guys a bit offtopic.. but is Phenom installable on X2 based mobos.. i mean i've 4400+ X2 (65nm) with HT 2000.. i wanna upgrade to Phenom.. will it be supported by my mobo?
yes, but upgrading from your current rig before AMD 45nm and/or AM3+ socket hits the market makes no sense.;)

Wouldn't socket AM3 will render my board useless.. I mean tell me a lil bit about AM3
AM3 is going to be different. It will support DDR3 and come out on 2009 Q1.
Its CPUs can be inserted on AM2+ boards and they will instantly be recoganised as DDR2 boards.
AMD has a smooth upgrade path this time. :)

Anyway, I am sure your board and CPU can last an year, after which DDR3 will become dirt cheap and AM3 and AMD Deneb (successor of Phenom) will become very common. Upgrade then. Not now. That way you can give your board a veeeery looooong life indeed.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
actually I've XFX 8800 GT installed too.. I saved money on processor n mobo ( Jetway JM2A-692-GDG with all multipliers unlocked).. 2 GB RAM.. 250 GB HDD.. Cooler Master Extreme 460 W PSU etc.. so no probs running crysis.. haven't tested it on onboard though

oh.. I forgot.. ViewSonic 1912wb LCD

actually I've XFX 8800 GT installed too.. I saved money on processor n mobo ( Jetway JM2A-692-GDG with all multipliers unlocked).. 2 GB RAM.. 250 GB HDD.. Cooler Master Extreme 460 W PSU etc.. so no probs running crysis.. haven't tested it on onboard though

oh.. I forgot.. ViewSonic 1912wb LCD
honestly, I can't beleive you wanted to upgrade from THIS rig :lol:

allanb4me

Right off the assembly line
cool!

Cool!. I got a phenom x3...no issues.. its dirt cheap and great performing and able to do everything.. kudos to amd.. waiting to get my hands on ati 4870...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom