AMD FX-4100 OR AMD Phenom 560

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi,
I am upgrading (hopefully tomorrow). I am confused which cpu should i go for. I don't play games anymore, just need a powerful cpu for everyday tasks like watching movie, web browsing. The thing is i don't want to think about upgrading stuff for the next 5 years so was wondering if i should go with Phenom 560 for Rs. 4200 or the FX-4100 for around 6k. I know FX-4100 is a bit overkill but its like having 2 more cores for extra 2k which i think is fine. FX-4100 eats 560 (when both on stock)
I am currently on Intel E5200 (stock), since i'm upgrading it'll be nice to have a snappy PC hence my inclination towards the FX-4100.
Please share your thoughts.
TIA.
Vivek.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go for FX-4100. I think its price may come down in a month after FX-4300 becomes available.

Is Phenom II X4 960T still available?

OP
rockfella

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
It's not in FK and i won't spend anything above 6k (for CPU). I wont' even game and FX-4100 is already overkill :p Help me choose between the two or something better in 6k range.
Go for FX-4100. I think its price may come down in a month after FX-4300 becomes available.

Is Phenom II X4 960T still available?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Don't buy FX4100. Its not worth 6k. Wait for FX4300 with piledriver cores.
Hopefully, it will cost same as a 4100 after looking at fx 8350's prices.

Pair that with a good am3+ 970 motherboard and you're all set.

But i suggest to spend 1-1.5k more and get the fx6300 and i'm sure it will get sub 8k pricing.
That is the most vfm cpu in the piledriver lineup and performs very good.

OP
rockfella

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
I think i'll stick with Phenom because: FX will work with latest BIOS. The shopkeepers have refused to update BIOS for me. I don't have old gen AMD chip to update BIOS at home. What luck!
^^ Don't buy FX4100. Its not worth 6k. Wait for FX4300 with piledriver cores.
Hopefully, it will cost same as a 4100 after looking at fx 8350's prices.

Pair that with a good am3+ 970 motherboard and you're all set.

But i suggest to spend 1-1.5k more and get the fx6300 and i'm sure it will get sub 8k pricing.
That is the most vfm cpu in the piledriver lineup and performs very good.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you are upgading from a dual core cpu to another dual core cpu though Phenom II perfroms better you won't notice lots of of difference in normal apps but as you are not a gamer - do you trans-code videos or ay other 3D, photo, video related works ? then FX4100 would be fine other wise just for the sake of upgrade get the 560 - with a little luck you may be even able to unlock this into a tri/quad core cpu.

OP
rockfella

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
That's what i did, got the 560 and other stuff yesterday, will install today. Thanks :)
you are upgading from a dual core cpu to another dual core cpu though Phenom II perfroms better you won't notice lots of of difference in normal apps but as you are not a gamer - do you trans-code videos or ay other 3D, photo, video related works ? then FX4100 would be fine other wise just for the sake of upgrade get the 560 - with a little luck you may be even able to unlock this into a tri/quad core cpu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom