AMD Athlon 5200 overheating issue

Debu_013

Freshly Churned Chutny :)
I have AMD Athlon 5200 CPU and it has been running quite fine over the last 3 years, but now recently it has developed an overheating issue!
Even thought the fan is on at full speed 3200 RPM still the temp is sometimes shooting upto 75-80 degrees while even playing a song, or browing the net for some time!!

My config is Nvigia 8600GT graphics, 2GB ram DDR2, 1TB HDD,

In all this, the GPU seems to have no problem, and runs cool at 60-65 degrees as usual.

What may be the problem? Has the internal temp sensor gone bad?

Should I just upgrade to AMD Athlon II X2 260?
My Motherboard is MSI K9AGM4.
It is an AM2 motherboard, but the BIOS update says it supports AM2+, but in the CPU support, it says Athlon X2 only max, so am confused whether the new new CPU would run or not?

Please Help.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Open the side panel of the PC, then give it a proper and complete cleanup using a dry cotton.

Use gentle hands and rub all the dust wherever you see it.
Properly rub the proccesor fan.

OP
Debu_013

Debu_013

Freshly Churned Chutny :)
I finally gave the CPu for RMA and in a week got a Replacement in the form of AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0MHz! WoW!
But after puting it together I saw that the fan was rotating only at 1000RPM in BIOS.
after which I figured out that my MotherBoard CPUFAN socket's Fan Speed control 4th pin had some problem because of which using any cooler fan with 4pin plug caused it to run in only 1000rpm, so i cut off the 4th pin plug off the fan, and now the CPU fan runs full speed at 3300RPM, and everything is running fine.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
I finally gave the CPu for RMA and in a week got a Replacement in the form of AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0MHz! WoW!
But after puting it together I saw that the fan was rotating only at 1000RPM in BIOS.
after which I figured out that my MotherBoard CPUFAN socket's Fan Speed control 4th pin had some problem because of which using any cooler fan with 4pin plug caused it to run in only 1000rpm, so i cut off the 4th pin plug off the fan, and now the CPU fan runs full speed at 3300RPM, and everything is running fine.

And u got the Athlon II X2 250! Hell of a deal bro!:cool: :)) Congos :doublethumb:

quicky008

Technomancer

What do you mean by "cutting" the 4th pin plug off the fan?! Isn't the CPU's HSF likely to malfunction if any of its connector pins get damaged?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
maybe the 4th pin controls the fan speed. so removing it let the fan run at max allotted speed. however this may make the fan run constantly at 3200RPM regardless of load or idle conditions.

Top Bottom