Alternative to MS Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Is there any software (that is also a freeware) that is alternative to microsoft paint. I am looking for a software which I can use to draw sketches for my notes. the trouble with MS Paint is that the lines are never smooth. If there is no software (freeware) that can compete with MS Paint, at least the next among shareware too would do.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
MS Paint!!! It's not even in a competition. U'll forget it....

For vector drawings (ur sketches & smooth lines)... try Inkscape... wonderful line drawer, free, unlike Adobe Illustrator.
Check out some photos by this... 1, 2, 3...

Free Photoshop replacements would b Paint.net, Photofiltre, GIMP...

Last edited:

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
^^^^^^^^^^
In Windows Vista, the toolbar icons and default color palette have been updated. Also, unlimited undo levels, a zoom slider, and a crop function have been added.
That's all.
*img143.imageshack.us/img143/3443/untitled1md3.jpg​

In that sense.. Paint.NET, a Microsoft sponsored project, originally intended as a free replacement for the Paint software (I thought it'll b the default Paint application in Vista :(), offers greater functionality, as in the more advanced, commercial graphical editors.

Well, try any one of the sws I mentioned.... I guarantee u'll forget MSPaint, in or out of Vista ;)

Last edited:

Third Eye

gooby pls
Sridhar_Rao said:
Is there any software (that is also a freeware) that is alternative to microsoft paint. I am looking for a software which I can use to draw sketches for my notes. the trouble with MS Paint is that the lines are never smooth. If there is no software (freeware) that can compete with MS Paint, at least the next among shareware too would do.

Try gimp,it is the best.

sakumar79

Technomancer
For sketching, try Inkscape as it is one of the best vector graphics program.... Another alternative is to use a free CAD program such as ProgeCAD LT... If you are familiar with AutoCAD, the software interface will be similar...

For photo editing, GIMP, Paint.NET and Photofiltre are great alternatives... My personal favourite is Photofiltre... Also, as mentioned recently in another thread, Vicmans Photo Editor has become a free software, so you can try that too...

Arun

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
^^^^^^^^ yippie... sakumar.. u r the first one who had a same taste in image-editin with me. Photofiltre's my FREE number one too!

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Wow!! It was just yesterday when I started this thread and so many responses. This is incredible!!! It is beyond my ability to thank all of you individually, nonetheless I thank all of you.

Since I have no knowledge of vector graphs or AUTOCAD, softwares like Inkscape, ProgeCAD LT are not for me. However, I did download GIMP from a link other than the one mentioned in this thread. Hope that serves my needs.

Once again thank all you guys.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Inkscape is easy.. maan... u'll know only when u'll try. Download it too.. if possible. GIMP has a steep learning curve.. Photofiltre or Paint.net is easier to learn.

trigger

Journeyman
Sridhar_Rao said:

this might helps u, i think...
*www.gliffy.com/

DukeNukem

Come get Some
Sridhar_Rao said:

use "smooth draw" and you'll never use mspaint or stuff like that.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Thanks , I checked out the site and felt too complicated to use. The interface is cool, it has all the features that I need but the way the software is run and work saved is all complicated. I wish they had application that worked like most other softwares wehre I could save the work locally.
I downloaded Gimp, as someone mentioned, it is bit difficult to learn. It would have been fine but for the absence of basic shapes like line, circle, square etc. I am from the medical field and I need to draw cells and their interactions, label them etc. I downloaded smooth draw too, it too has the same problem. When I look at functionality (that I require) MS Paint is better than others. Any help?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom