All webhosting and domain related queries here.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'll surely let you know when do it in upcoming days.

I'm also thinking of moving my blog to Hostgator, as my current host is unable to keep up with the current traffic. Though I have moved the images to CDN, but still sometime it faces downtime, which is what I don't want.

But again, I'm thinking, I have no plans of monetizing my blog at least in near future, so whether should I invest that much for non-profit part-time hobby of mine.

What do you think?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I'm also thinking of moving my blog to Hostgator, as my current host is unable to keep up with the current traffic. Though I have moved the images to CDN, but still sometime it faces downtime, which is what I don't want.

But again, I'm thinking, I have no plans of monetizing my blog at least in near future, so whether should I invest that much for non-profit part-time hobby of mine.

What do you think?

Which host do you use currently ? And which CDN ?

I don't think it'll cost much for a server for daily traffic of 100-200 visitors, given it's the only site with such traffic on that server.

I just had a look on your website. Initially, it felt quite slow. I had to refresh 3 times to load all the images. After that it was fine though.

See this:

*i.imgur.com/3owIhks.png

Lots of 502, that means indeed your server is giving you problems which is further increasing the loading time.

Also, there a lot of things which you can do to speed up your current scenario.

> Your http requests can be highly reduced. 100 is quite on the higher side.

> Since your home page consists of largely images, compress them to the max. Home page size of 2.42 mb in Indian net scenario can push the loading quite slow.

Also, a design suggestion, all the thumbnails under your latest posts, why not give them a title overlay preferably in the lower area of every image ? It will be immensely useful. All these images are pointing to different locations, and currently I have to hover each image to just know which place they are pointing to. I hope I'm able to explain myself.

One more issue:

*i.imgur.com/IMpHDIO.jpg

See the share bar on the left side.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Which host do you use currently ? And which CDN ?

I don't think it'll cost much for a server for daily traffic of 100-200 visitors, given it's the only site with such traffic on that server.

I just had a look on your website. Initially, it felt quite slow. I had to refresh 3 times to load all the images. After that it was fine though.

See this:

*i.imgur.com/3owIhks.png

Lots of 502, that means indeed your server is giving you problems which is further increasing the loading time.

Also, there a lot of things which you can do to speed up your current scenario.

> Your http requests can be highly reduced. 100 is quite on the higher side.

> Since your home page consists of largely images, compress them to the max. Home page size of 2.42 mb in Indian net scenario can push the loading quite slow.

Also, a design suggestion, all the thumbnails under your latest posts, why not give them a title overlay preferably in the lower area of every image ? It will be immensely useful. All these images are pointing to different locations, and currently I have to hover each image to just know which place they are pointing to. I hope I'm able to explain myself.

One more issue:

*i.imgur.com/IMpHDIO.jpg

See the share bar on the left side.

Haha!! You nailed it..!! Infact the surprising thing is, I'm aware of these things as I use those tools regularly to check the performance... But...

1. The main thing is I'm not finding spare time to fix that sidebar plugin. It was working fine, but suddenly it broke, I don't know why.
2. I don't know why those images throws 502 from CDN, as other images loads fine from CDN, only those images are not working. And I don't even know what's not actually working. As from front end things looks fine. Again I don't have time right now to check those images one by one.
3. Yes, even I'm thinking of getting a good theme, as no one would hover over the images and see which destination it's about.
4. Regarding the image size, the issue is, I need some spare time (a lot) to download those images from my server one by one and compress them. Because whatever I upload nowadays is not over few KB's but when I actually started it I uploaded the images directly from my Camera / DSLR which is around 5-10MB each. So for the time being I have the load time under control with the workaround by using WP-Smush! plugin. But this workaround cannot be there for too long. Again I need time to download them one by one and compress it in Irfanview or something,

Any tips (including and excluding the above point) would be really helpful. Currently I'm also facing huge issues because previously I installed a theme with some default posts and images and all. Now that I decided to make it a travelogue first of all the domain name is not going with the current genre of my blog but most importantly, I get lots of 404's in Google Webmaster because those posts are still there in DB even though I have deleted from WP.

So they don't shows up there in WP, but upon logging in to phpMyAdmin and querying the tables I see those categories and posts there. Now on GWT, I get 404 on those categories as they don't exist.

I don't know what should I do. Only way that comes to my mind is, get a hosting in Hostgator (As my current host Hostdime stopped selling Shared Server, but old customers are not hampered in any way) and setup a wordpress over there with a new theme and move the posts and contents one by one and then move the domain name once it's ready.

As otherwise my SEO would be hampered. THough it's not huge, but I do get around 200 visitors daily and for a nothing expecting person like me, it's huge for me. THough I do not have any income from this (neither do I plan to have), I'm happy that people are reading my posts and asking for suggestions on their travel related queries.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
[MENTION=32490]krishnandu.sarkar[/MENTION]

You're way more experienced developer than me. In fact I don't even qualify now to be called as a dev. :| I should be asking some tips from you :p

But I can understand the issue of time scarcity and lack of attention causing these issues to your own website when you're busy solving same issues for others; irony !

I'll say, whatever you do, keep your server intact but don't compromise with the SEO. These days, slow response times hurt SEO badly.

Even my website loading time has gone down the drain, thanks to GoDaddy. I'm thinking to try Web Hosting | Shared Hosting | Website Hosting by Arvix . Heard good things about them plus I want to keep the cost as low as I can.

I also use WP-Smush but nothing can beat manual compression. Anyway, I've also been lately too busy even to post some content due to personal commitments. But after 7th, I'm going to do all of it after I shift my server.

PS: Since your blog is getting good hit, why not get SSL as Google gives some extra marks for sites having it, plus the added security. I too have got one (free) once I saw that some Russian IP tried to brute force me and I was bombarded 1700 hits :D

desai_amogh

In the zone
4. Regarding the image size, the issue is, I need some spare time (a lot) to download those images from my server one by one and compress them. Because whatever I upload nowadays is not over few KB's but when I actually started it I uploaded the images directly from my Camera / DSLR which is around 5-10MB each. So for the time being I have the load time under control with the workaround by using WP-Smush! plugin. But this workaround cannot be there for too long. Again I need time to download them one by one and compress it in Irfanview or something,

WP smush plugin can help compress images without loosing much clarity. I use it.. I dont know how to check if that really helped though :D

Somebody with more expertise around this can shed some light!

So they don't shows up there in WP, but upon logging in to phpMyAdmin and querying the tables I see those categories and posts there. Now on GWT, I get 404 on those categories as they don't exist.

You get WP plugins to clean database with stale unsued tables. May be try those before moving to a new hosting or manually moving posts.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Since your blog is getting good hit, why not get SSL as Google gives some extra marks for sites having it, plus the added security. I too have got one (free) once I saw that some Russian IP tried to brute force me and I was bombarded 1700 hits :D

How do you get it free?? (btw I got WP, so may be you can also advise/point to, how to get ssl free and how to set it up)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
When exactly you decide you need a CDN?? my blog is small, i post rarely.. its a hobby thing. not a lot of posts. I do get about 150 or more daily traffic.

It's not about "when" you need. A CDN should always be preferred because it reduces load on your server and it speeds up load time, thereby also helping in SEO.

Waiting for the time when your server starts giving you downtime and then you start taking steps is not at all good sign of a site admin.

PS: My blog gets less than 10 visits but I've just started it and just have a couple of posts but I don't want to compromise anything. It's an one-time effort anyway.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
[MENTION=24845]desai_amogh[/MENTION] Yes I have tried those, but those didn't worked. I know SQL, but as I'm not accustommed with the DB design for WP, I'm afraid to try out queries :p

So moving posts manually is only option for me. But as [MENTION=86068]dashing.sujay[/MENTION] said, keeping the cost minimum is also my requirement, as I do not have any profit from this blog.

And yes, with CloudFare, you get a free shared SSL. I have tried with CloudFare once, but I don't know my site went very slow with them. So I removed it from cloudfare and bought MaxCDN myself to handle the images.

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=32490]krishnandu.sarkar[/MENTION]

You're way more experienced developer than me. In fact I don't even qualify now to be called as a dev. :| I should be asking some tips from you :p

But I can understand the issue of time scarcity and lack of attention causing these issues to your own website when you're busy solving same issues for others; irony !

I'll say, whatever you do, keep your server intact but don't compromise with the SEO. These days, slow response times hurt SEO badly.

Even my website loading time has gone down the drain, thanks to GoDaddy. I'm thinking to try Web Hosting | Shared Hosting | Website Hosting by Arvix . Heard good things about them plus I want to keep the cost as low as I can.

I also use WP-Smush but nothing can beat manual compression. Anyway, I've also been lately too busy even to post some content due to personal commitments. But after 7th, I'm going to do all of it after I shift my server.

Haha!! You are just exaggerating things :p

But yes, after office, currently, I'm busy with a startup idea and some other freelancing projects that I got involved myself into to save money for travelling (one of my best hobby). But now I'm not finding time to work on my blog.

And what is more frustating for me is, 404 error on category and tags URL's on GWT. I don't even have those categories and tags in WP, I don't even know how GWT got those URL's and throwing 404.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
[MENTION=32490]krishnandu.sarkar[/MENTION] Did you rebuild the sitemap ? I'm guessing it could solve the problem.

Yes I did those things already many times. I think I need to start fresh, but that's also daunting task. I have to down the website for further comments and then import, Posts, Categories, Tags, Comments and the wp-content over and again.

I cannot do full backup. I have to do selective backup.

desai_amogh

In the zone
Does raising my score to green on Google Pagespeed means I'm good on performance ?? Do I need to worry about anything else??

Im green on desktop side and almost green on mobile side on Google Pagespeed.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Does raising my score to green on Google Pagespeed means I'm good on performance ?? Do I need to worry about anything else??

Im green on desktop side and almost green on mobile side on Google Pagespeed.

Check on gtmetrix. Their waterfall shows which component is making your website slow.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Hello guys.
As I was about to purchase the domain name kunalgujarathi.com
I coincidently came across some Sanskrit literature of my li'l sis.
I am fascinated by Sanskrit
And after researching through Sanskrit literature I found a pretty good word-
abhivyaktam - manifestly - evident,clear,plain presentation.

What do you think of abhivyaktam.com?

Instead of using my name as domain abhivyaktam.com seems to be a bit touched to earth + beautiful meaning + sanskrit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desai_amogh

In the zone
Hello guys.
As I was about to purchase the domain name kunalgujarathi.com
I coincidently came across some Sanskrit literature of my li'l sis.
I am fascinated by Sanskrit
And after researching through Sanskrit literature I found a pretty good word-
abhivyaktam - manifestly - evident,clear,plain presentation.

What do you think of abhivyaktam.com?

Instead of using my name as domain abhivyaktam.com seems to be a bit touched to earth + beautiful meaning + sanskrit

depends on what you plan to do with the site. Imagine you providing some services through the site and the need to share the domain name many times. such a complex domain name will be difficult to spell and share.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
depends on what you plan to do with the site. Imagine you providing some services through the site and the need to share the domain name many times. such a complex domain name will be difficult to spell and share.

It's my personal portfolio for civil/architectural design.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'll always suggest going for a easy to spell domain name which you don't need to spell out to world out there. If it's something about your hobby then it's fine, else if you really want hits, then, keyword in the domain name and the related content that you'll share matters.

So sometimes cool looking domain name creates concerns like say need4speed.com, for this you have to spell out to users like "it's need4speed.com, for as in four, not the word f-o-u-r but the number 4, as in 4-5-6".

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
[MENTION=32490]krishnandu.sarkar[/MENTION] - Do you know of a host who provides SSD based hosting under $4 with cPanel ? I searched a lot yesterday about different hosts yesterday and taking cost & feedback into account, I zeroed into SSD Hosting from AdroitSSD | $1.99 Cloud cPanel Hostin . They're giving a promo offer of $1.99/mo offer (annual billing, comes to ~1592 INR) - 25GB SSD + 512MB RAM + half core CPU + 5 domains + 10 sub domains + 10 MySQL DBs. Everywhere else I looked for good plan are asking to commit for 36 months.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
[MENTION=32490]krishnandu.sarkar[/MENTION] - Do you know of a host who provides SSD based hosting under $4 with cPanel ? I searched a lot yesterday about different hosts yesterday and taking cost & feedback into account, I zeroed into SSD Hosting from AdroitSSD | $1.99 Cloud cPanel Hostin . They're giving a promo offer of $1.99/mo offer (annual billing, comes to ~1592 INR) - 25GB SSD + 512MB RAM + half core CPU + 5 domains + 10 sub domains + 10 MySQL DBs. Everywhere else I looked for good plan are asking to commit for 36 months.

No, I'm not aware of that. I'm only aware of DO and Vultr for SSD Hosting and that's $5 minimum per month. But I'm not sure whether moving my blog to that SSD Hosting would be good or not, as those are not managed hosting, I have to maintain everything from security to configurations myself. Though I do not fear doing that, as I'm knowledgeable enough to do that or can google it out, but I'm not knowledgeable / confident enough to do that in a live public facing server.

What do you think?

BTW adroitssd looks good for the offer!!

Top Bottom