All Memory (Ram) related queries here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
sabret00the said:
any specific reason for this...I have my girl friend's PC running fine with a couple of stupid local 256mb DDR 400mhz rams for the past 4-5 years...

Yups..your GF might not be running heavy applications like games, image editors or video editors..gien such applications, local made RAMs might give BSOD...:D .. I have personally faced such BSOD in college when i used to have 256MB of cheap local RAM and tried my hands at image and video editing et al.

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
rb_kaustuv said:
Yups..your GF might not be running heavy applications like games, image editors or video editors..gien such applications, local made RAMs might give BSOD...:D .. I have personally faced such BSOD in college when i used to have 256MB of cheap local RAM and tried my hands at image and video editing et al.

makes sense...

Arun the Gr8

Journeyman
My bios shows that the latency of my DDR memory is 2.5; what does it mean? WhatI

mean is how much is optimal. Also I am planning to buy 2 1 GB DDR RAM chips from a

company called US Modular because they are cheap. They are available for $26 each

(my uncle will be bringing them for me from US) as compared to $53 for Kingston for

each such module. I need the memory only for an year or 2 since after that I will

get a new PC.
What I wanted to know is may I buy them or shall I buy Kingston?

Also what is ECC or Non-ECC memory? What difference do they have?

The last thing I wanted to know is whether RAMs having different latencies but same

frequency work together?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
also, another important tip, in fact VERY imp. - in case of RAM, always go for well known brands such as Transcend, Kingston, Corsair, Crucial etc. its best to avoid brands such as Hynix, Simtronics and other lesser known / chinese brands

I think Hynix is not a lesser known ram. It is even discussed in a highly reputed site like tomshardware. May be the general feeling here is like that since we rarely get genuine ones and market everywhere is flooded with fake Hynix. IIRC it is one of the big OEM suppliers of ram chips also like Samsung, Micron etc.

BTW I am not a Hynix fan and in fact never used it.

dnjkane

Broken In
I would just like to say here that some motherboards are very picky about allowing dual channel operation.
I recently tested two 1GB modules (transcend 667) on a DG965WH, which would show up with errors in memtest86, MS memory diag. etc., but only in dual channel mode. In single channel mode, there have been no errors. I also manually reduced the timings to 5-5-5-14.

Mind you, someone who may not have tested the RAM maybe would never realise it had errors, because it easily performed all the tasks thrown at it.

I guess if anyone here owns any 965 series board, you might wanna test your RAM compatibility and timings. Sometimes errors show up due to wrong timings, or other incompatibilities like using single/double sided RAM.

The sad part is that hardware dealers will not replace your RAM sticks just because of certain errors in certain configurations.. all they see is that "windows boots up just fine". Many of them dont even know about memtest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom