All Memory (Ram) related queries here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabret00the

Youngling
Hey guys I think once again we are heading in the direction where DDR3 is slowly creeping in to suddenly phase out DDR2; like DDR2 did to the DDR sometime last year. Thus we may say the RAM market is as dynamic as the GPU or CPU market and with so many choices galore..one may find it really difficult to decide...he we may discuss all RAM related queries here...

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
Magnetoresistive Random Access Memory (MRAM) is a non-volatile computer memory (NVRAM) technology, which has been under development since the 1990s. Continued increases in density of existing memory technologies, notably Flash RAM and DRAM kept MRAM in a niche role in the market, but its proponents believe that the advantages are so overwhelming that MRAM will eventually become dominant.

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
My brother has a PC with a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-8ILMT4.Now the memory on his system is a mere DDR 256mb (2x128mb) running at 266mhz. He wants to upgrade to a single 512mb ram. Now the problem is that this motherboard will only support memory with bus speed upto 266mhz. It is virtually impossible to get a DDR ram with 266mhz bus speed anywhere in India today that too a 512mb ram @ 266mhz. Even if I find one it'll cost me a fortune. My question is can I purchase a 512mb DDR 400mhz ram and fit it to this motherboard. Will it run in this way. Is it possible that it might damage the ram or the motherboard in any way?

smile

In the zone
Hi..........Guys :)

I wanted to know that if i want to buy a RAM...is that true that i need to buy Ram of same speed ???????????:confused:

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
no.
if u hv 2 ram modules with different speeds, the system will run fine but both the rams will be running at the lower speed.
u wont be able to achieve dual channel memory set up.

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
it is worth of if u r likely to overclock ur processor to some extent
(exp. 2.13 GHZ to 3GHZ and over).
if u dont overclock, 667 MHZ will suffice easily :).

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
Can someone list the latest ram prices?

And I'am looking for an answer to my question...can anyone help me please

Last edited:

xbonez

NP : Crysis
@sabretooth : i'm not sure but i don't think 400mhz RAM is backward compatible to 266mhz. i know 400mhz ram is backward compatible to 333, but not 266...

@smile...even though u may be able to run ur sys with 2 ram cards of diff freq., i highly reccomend u not to do that since it causes stability issues....in my prev sys, i was running 2 ram cards of 100mhz and 133mhz and used to have a lot of trouble

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
sabret00the said:
My brother has a PC with a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-8ILMT4.Now the memory on his system is a mere DDR 256mb (2x128mb) running at 266mhz. He wants to upgrade to a single 512mb ram. Now the problem is that this motherboard will only support memory with bus speed upto 266mhz. It is virtually impossible to get a DDR ram with 266mhz bus speed anywhere in India today that too a 512mb ram @ 266mhz. Even if I find one it'll cost me a fortune. My question is can I purchase a 512mb DDR 400mhz ram and fit it to this motherboard. Will it run in this way. Is it possible that it might damage the ram or the motherboard in any way?

Easily :D will run without any problems.. Of course of used together with slower sticks , it will run at the slower one's speed... rest is all same...

i use my DDR 400 stick @ 200 Mhz while overclocking my CPU... and my RAM is a cheap chinese one :D .. so expect no problems..

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
xbonez said:
@sabretooth : i'm not sure but i don't think 400mhz RAM is backward compatible to 266mhz. i know 400mhz ram is backward compatible to 333, but not 266...

thanks a lot bro

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
DDR 400 is backward compatible to 266Mhz with most mobos ........i myself have a simmtronic DDR266 128MB + transcend DDR400 512MB in one of my MSI-845GE based pc . here both rams are running at 266MHz:smile:

morover i have also tested same with kingston value DDR400 on both MSI-845GE & an old junk gigabyte VIA KM266 based pc

gulgulumaal

Broken In
If I buy 667Mhz DDR2 RAM from different vendors, would they work together in dual channel mode ?

I'm asking coz I'm thinking of buying 1 stick of RAM now, and later if required I'll buy another. That time there'll be no guarantee that I'll get the same brand (though I'll try to get it).

xbonez

^^no chance dude!!! to run in dual-channel mode, even same vendor won't do...u need the exact same model (from the same vendor) to be sure it'll run in DC mode

Demonkiller

4Ghz Here I come !
xbonez said:
^^no chance dude!!! to run in dual-channel mode, even same vendor won't do...u need the exact same model (from the same vendor) to be sure it'll run in DC mode

Wrong. As long as they are the same size and frezuency they will run in dual channel mode.

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
sabret00the said:

Nope buddy no damage to the Mobo..
I have 2x512MB stick of DDR400 and 2x256MB stick of DDR266 ..
Now my 512 sticks sits in channels 1 and 3 and the 256 sticks in 2 and 4.
They run in dual channel mode but at the reduced speed of DDR266 .Thats the price i needed to pay to have 1.5GB RAM with the minimum expenditure.

Hope this helps..:D

xbonez

Demonkiller said:
Wrong. As long as they are the same size and frezuency they will run in dual channel mode.

nopesy dopesy dude.....for best and sure performance in DC mode, they need to have same size, frequency AND all latency timings....getting all three matches is very difficult unless u take the same models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom