All laptop related queries here!!!

gunzz

Broken In
Thanks Akshaya, solidasraf for your inputs! Well, 50 - 50 recommendation :eek:. I do own a Compaq Presario x1000 for the last three years - which has been pretty reliable, and touch wood, no issues at all! But I do feel it is a bit bulky! Have not seen/used a Dell Lappy - but I guess at nearly 3kg+ it sure would be as bulkier!! Anyone has experience of both??

nikkyan

Right off the assembly line
Hi
I am planning to buy a laptop.The ads i see in newspapers show different types of intel dual core processors models names and do not mention speed(eg E2160) .Sometimes it gets very difficult to understand it.Can somebody help me out how to solve it ?

nikkyan

[Link Edited. Please don't post irrelevant links and use the post for signature.]

Last edited by a moderator:

gunzz

Broken In
Read this and you will be enlightened!!!
*islandgamers.wordpress.com/2007/03/01/notebooks-intel-core-2-duo-vs-amds-turion-64-x2/#comment-4555

Helped me decide on Compaq v6608AU over Dell Inspiron 5140!! :p
Realised that all the talk of C2D and Graphics card are good selling points and price rise - but not exactly useful for a 'gamer' - at the current config of the machines actually!:cool:

shaan23

Right off the assembly line
Hello guys.....i must say this is one of the most informative threads about laptops that i could google out!!! Pls help me out as well, as I'm desperately looking for some specific answers about the laptop model i've almost decided to buy.....
Model Name: Dell VOSTRO 1000 N-Series Notebook

Doubt 1> The OS is "DOS Factory Installed (English) - No Genuine Windows OS", and it says on the web site that a "N-Series System Driver DVD Kit" will be supplied....does it mean i will be able to install Win XP Professional using that Driver DVD kit? Also, will the driver kit contain drivers for Vista as well ?

Doubt 2> I don't want the "Basic System Install" if all they do is to open the box and check if everything is ok.... ( got this info from this thread only...) so is there anyway to cancel it totally? I tried to uncheck the box online, but Dell won't accept it.......

Doubt 3> As i primarily would be using this laptop for programming, can u suggest a good Linux Distro for it ?

Pls give me a response quickly.....

Sourabh

Laptoping
N-series Dell laptops have pre-installed DOS. The 'N-Series System Driver DVD Kit' is a CD/DVD which has drivers for XP and Vista. Yes, you can install any one of these OS and use the driver CD. Even if they don't provide the driver CD, all the drivers are available for download from the Dell website.

You can't skip the Basis System Install. Wonder why they have to be so precise and transparent about it. When you get the laptop, even the N-series with no OS, you'd get a call from their support team (in my case Wipro) asking if you need any help setting up your PC for the first time. Politely refuse if you can manage on your own.

No idea about a Linux distro. Most distros will run fine because the main chipset and integrated GPU is from the Xpress 1150 chipset which is quite old. So, there won't be any driver issues.

Very good choice (Vostro 1000 N-Series). Good luck!

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Hi Shaan23!! :)

I dont think Driver for the laptop would be a problem!! (Being New model )U can get drivers for all Windows OS in their website!

When i bought my Inspiron 6400, I unchecked that option... But now v could not uncheck it... Anyway while Ordering Ur lappy.. Demand them i wont waste 1K for that.. and tell them i wont go for dell if it is so..

For Inspiron model.. one of my frnd installed Ubuntu linux.. and made all things work properly!! dont know for vostro!! :(

shyamno

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi..guys...can anyone help me in deciding which laptop which I recommend to my friend..his budget is 40-42k....

Meant for ...low end to mid range gaming and ... little bit of ...multimedia..that's all..

I have no idea in this field...and I think you will guide me to a right path....

Also .. tell me which models are upcoming ones, for which he can bet and ..should wait for that..if any such cases are there..

gunzz

Broken In
Well, have made my choice - picking up my lappy on monday. Earlier in the forum I had queried about the choice between Compaq v6608AU (35K) and Dell Vostro 1500 (43K). After lots of rounds with dealers, hands on with the systems (yess, got hold of a Dell Inspiron 1420 from afriend), pouring over reviews and various forums views, I have decided to go in for the HP Pavillion dv6602au (available at about 41K - will bargain more!!).

Reasons:
Dell Vostro 1500. Ok, Dell has a great config and seems VFM. But I realsied that the C2D advantages do not add up much as against Turion 64 X2 TL-58 - even for gaming. The NVIDIA 8400 graphics is a distinct advantage - but I am not much of a gamer - plus most games today runs easily on lower hardware, and for real graphics intensive games - even the NVIDIA 8400 on the lappy will not be good enough. Check out:
*islandgamers.wordpress.com/2007/03/01/notebooks-intel-core-2-duo-vs-amds-turion-64-x2/#comment-4555

Where Dell lost out was on the looks, key board (does not have the crispiness!!), weight (yup - big factor - its like a brick) and overall having a clunky feeling. I dunno - just could not connect. And lost out horribly on the entertainment section - lots of cribes about poor sound, screen graininess etc etc (all from the Dell forum cribs!!)

Compaq v6608au. I consider this the best VFM at 35K. You can easily get it upgraded to 2GB at an additional 2K (kingston). Slim and sleek looking. Great looks. My initial choice!! Only issue - it was a bit vulnerable looking and has a bit of flex when you hold the notebook. My opinion. those who own it swear by its robustness!! :) [ hey, you also get those promotional goodies]

HP Pavillion v6602au. This is similar to the CP v6608au - except that it has a fingerprint reader, web cam, lightscribe DVD writer etc. Lookwise it is great! Seems tough and no nonsense. I was bowled over by its looks (my opinion again!!). Also the promotional offer goodies were just right. so thought could spare a 3-5K more than the compaq for this beauty. After all it will be with me for the next three to four years at the least!!

Guys feel free to comment on MY views!!!:eek:

nsbindra

Broken In
Hi friends,
I want 2 buy a laptop with a budget of approx 65-70k. One option is to configure Dell 1520/Dell1720. What r the other options available? My tentative config is the following:-
C2D T7250 (or thereabouts)
Windows Vista Home Premium or above
At least 2 GB RAM
Discrete graphics card (preferably 256 MB)
At least 160 GB HDD
At least 15 inch screen
Bluetooth/Wi Fi/ Card reader/ Webcam

I will be using it as a multimedia centre (music/video), surfing, Email and casual gaming (not very important). I don't travel much, so weight is not that critical a factor.

What r ur suggestions? HP Pavillion/Toshiba/Sony / Lenovo or any other? Please give model numbers. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions pleeeeeease ??????

gunzz said:
Well, have made my choice - picking up my lappy on monday. Earlier in the forum I had queried about the choice between Compaq v6608AU (35K) and Dell Vostro 1500 (43K).

Congrats gunzz on ur new acquisition. Did u see/ consider other lappies while u did market research. what r ur suggestions? Thanx

Last edited:

shyamno

Ambassador of Buzz
shyamno said:
Hi..guys...can anyone help me in deciding which laptop which I recommend to my friend..his budget is 40-42k....

Meant for ...low end to mid range gaming and ... little bit of ...multimedia..that's all..

I have no idea in this field...and I think you will guide me to a right path....

Also .. tell me which models are upcoming ones, for which he can bet and ..should wait for that..if any such cases are there..

please give me some other models..also from HP or Compaq

How is acer ..??

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
shyamno said:
please give me some other models..also from HP or Compaq

How is acer ..??
best will be dell 1420. Hp is expensive, wont fit to your budget.

I have used the acer's new aspire gemstone series. Its awsome- price,performance and looks. I will recomend
*acer 4520(amd x2,1.80ghz, 1gb ram, 160gb, NVIDIA® GeForce® 7000M)28/29k+tax
*acer 4710(core2duoT5300,1.73ghz, 1gb ram, 160gb, Intel GMA 950)35k+tax
*acer 4920(core2duoT7300,2.0ghz, 1gb ram, 160gb, Intel GMA X3100)50k+tax >>> just upgrade to 2gb ram, and it is one of the fastest :p

Pathik

Google Bot
+1.. the black gemstones look gorgeous..
get a acer aspire 4520 or else get a loaded hp dv 6608au..
Remember dont take any gma 950 lappy..

Mohak

Broken In
hey i have a hp nx5000 which gets very hot. i wanna know how to clean the fan. can anybody tell me which screws and what i will have to open? and also i want to buy a graphics card and ram for it...so will they be the same size as a normal desktop or will they be of a different size.
And finally, i don't know whether i have a DDR 1 slot or DDR 2 slot. so how can i find it? thanx

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
today, me and my friend had been to acer mall to purchase a acer 4520. And we returned empty handed because the vendor quoted price 34k incl.tax. Last
tuesday, there was an AD of Acer with the price of 4710z 30k+tax. Now how in this earth possible now that 4520 is 34k ??? He said
2500handling,frieght+1500vat,in this way showroom price is 30k, isn't it ? Then 4710z is equal to 4520 !!!what's the hell....

can some of you tell what 4520 costs in your states ??

awestriker

Broken In
Hi Folks,
I am going to purchase a Dell Inspiron 1420. But all credit goes to this forum, as I have done an extensive study of almost all the posts and selected this system.
Thanks to all those guys who are the torchbearers, went ahead and brought the Inspirons and gave a hands-on review.
Before going ahead with the deal, ofcourse I would like to get my configuration and price quoated review by you folks.
I am getting the below configured system at 54,420/- . Please let me know, is the deal worth it.
Any changes, suggestions are appreciated and welcomed.
Dell Inspiron 1420 Configuration Details:
-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T7300 2.0 GHz, 4MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB
-2GB (2 X 1024MB) 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 1
-NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 8400M GS with 128MB GDDR3 Dedicated graphic memory
-160GB SATA Hard Drive
-Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
-Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card
-Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Basic 32 bit (English)
-14.1” Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) Display with TrueLife(TM)
-Jet Black Color with Matte Finish and Integrated -2MP Webcam
-1 ExpressCard Slot, (DOES NOT SUPPORT PCMCIA CARD -S)
-8-in-1 media card reader -
-Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet
-Internal 56K Modem
-Dell(TM) Travel Remote Control
-Noise Isolation Ear Buds 1
-Integrated Stereo Sound
-No Floppy Drive
-Dell(TM) Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module 1
-1-Year Limited Warranty (Next Business Day Service - parts & labour)
-1 Year Telephone Technical Support (9am To 6pm, Monday - Friday)

Regards,
Awe :)

Top Bottom