All laptop related queries here!!!

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
Ganeshkumar said:
I dont c that dv6516TX model in thier website...! I dont think this dv6516TX with 2 GB and Geforce8400m that cheap!

dv6516TX seems to be better than the previous model....

let me know ur decision....
You are right... I too couldn't find the DV6516TX model in HP site. Its only when i went, this weekend, for getting quotations from a HP dealer on DV6314 she said about this (very) new model in market. Though the discount price she quoted was of 58.5K. I goggled around to get the link I had given there. (HP DV6516)

This configuration took me also by surprise:eek: . With this new model name in my mind i went around Chennai to some 10-12 dealers, and the discounted price started to vary from 56.5K to 59.5K.
I haven't completely reached at any decision yet though DV6516 seems to be a good Prey.

prasad_den said:
That HP 6516 looks very good.. are you sure it costs only 57K... CAn you tell me where in Chennai you are getting that.. and when are you planning to buy one..??
Yes Sir, it’s around 57K but after some tough bargain. I got these quotations with some dealers in Ritchie Street, Chennai. I am planning to buy/order this in a week or 2, most probably this weekend. And as we are planning on a 2 piece buy I am looking for still better bargain. Any plans of joining us to take the count to 3??:D

dhan_shh said:
HP 6314 is doing very well in Chennai!

I heard that it's getting withdrawn gradually! People should hurry up in getting it as soon as possible!

I think we can still customize it.
YOu can go for 1GB x 2 in exchange for original 512MB x 2 (They are giving 'Transcend' 1GB x 2 for Rs.3475 + VAT with 3yrs warranty)

They are also offering many finance schemes like 4.5% @ 1yr or 3.5% @ 6months.
You are right.. HP 6314 is doing well. But the only -ve point in that is that they are giving Windows Ultimate with 1 GB RAM. The OS itself will take up most of the RAM leaving little for heavy applications. Hence I was planning to change the OS to Windows XP after purchase. But now HP DV6516 has set me to look again on things, with not much price difference from DV 6314.

The only thing that’s bugging me is the processor speed going down to 1.5GHz from 1.7GHz (of 6413) though the FSB is higher. Can anyone suggest if its something to be concerned with!!

prasad_den

Padawan
And as we are planning on a 2 piece buy I am looking for still better bargain. Any plans of joining us to take the count to 3??

Well.. I asked that for the same reason.. to see if a combined purchase will get a better bargain.. But next weekend is a little too early for me. I was planning to get it in the 2nd or 3rd week of August. And I'm planning to go for an EMI purchase.. don't have enough dough to spend fully...

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
prasad_den said:
Well.. I asked that for the same reason.. to see if a combined purchase will get a better bargain.. But next weekend is a little too early for me. I was planning to get it in the 2nd or 3rd week of August. And I'm planning to go for an EMI purchase.. don't have enough dough to spend fully...
I am not sure if my friend is ready to delay it any more (already we are 2 weeks behind our planned purchase date)... anyway how about first week of August(i can try convincing him if we can get a better bargain.. otherwise there is no sense in delaying it further)?

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ Don't delay it on my account dude.. Just proceed with the purchase..!! How are planning to pay for it..?? EMI..?? If so, let me know the T&C of the EMI..

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
^^ As i said, i haven't completely decided on the thing yet... we will be getting to the final decision by this weekend (Hopefully).

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
dhan_shh said:
I think NVIDIA 8600 with with 256MB GDDR2 should cost around 2.9K for notebook!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a discussion with one of my senior friend,who says 'hp 6314' lacks the

power,b'coz of a "tiny" processor to tackle 'Vista Ultimate or buiness pro'!

He says we need atleast 2GHz,4MB cache,800 MHz FSB(T7300) or 2.2GHz,4

MB cache,800 MHz FSB(T7500) to have better 3D experience(Aero) along

with minimum RAM of 2GB to 4GB!

He also says not to go for 'Transcend',the most horrible RAM!!!????

Is it right to wait for upgraded processor model of hp?

or customize it with Dell (then it comes to very high cost,around 77K)

Confused!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

MY budget is 50 to 60K,decent pro,vista home premium or business,

Wifi,BT,webcam,fingerprint reader,DVD RW with ?BR reader

120-160GB hdd,weight 2.5 to 3.0KG,atleast 5hrs battery life,

Experienced heads,kindly help!!

Hi wat i feel is U can configure Dell Vostro 1400...

What i think is for Vista 1.8GHz 800Mhz fsb is enough... With this processor u can opt for 2GB ram, Nvida 8400m, 9 cell battery, display true life, vista premium, DVD writer, 120 gb .... Thsi comes arnd 61K!!1

I think this will suits for u........:) :)

Main thing for Vista is Ram and Graphics card.... and i dont think processor wuld be that much important! so even 1.5 Ghz, 2GB, with grapics card wuld work same as 2GHz 2 GB ram with same gfx card! (There wont be much diff) !

Last edited:

prasad_den

Padawan
Today I enquired the HP delaer in my city.. and he too has the HP DV6516TX lappy.. The specs are as follows:

Intel C2D T5250 (1.5GHz)
intel 965 PM chipset
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 RAM
160GB SATA HDD @ 5400rpm
8x lightscribe double layer DVDRW
15.4" Widescreen Brightview TFT
nVidia GeForce 8400M GS Gfx card
Altec Lansing Speakers, 5 in 1 card reader
High speed56K modem, 3 USB ports
Integrated Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g
Integrated HP bluetooth module
6 cell Li ion battery, IEEE 1394
Touch pad, S Video out
Windows Vista Home Premium
Webcam (VGA)
Finger print reader

Rs.57990 + taxes

Worth buying....??

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
^^ i don't know if there has been any price revision on DV6516TX since last week. When i had asked last week the price ranged from around 57K to 59K inclusive of taxes, with different dealers. Though the first dealer had quoted me 58K + Taxes.

I still am a bit confused between DV6516 (1.5GHz) or DV6314 (1.73GHz), on the processor speed. After all RAM can be upgraded but not the processor. Is that 230MHz that significant, any suggestions ??

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
ThanQ Ganeshkumar for ur suggestion:

I have few queries!

1.For Dell laptops,how will you pay? Online transfer? Do they accept 'Debit Cards'?

2.How much time it will take for Delivery? Should I have to pay anything for installation? if any?

3.MOst of the laptops are loaded with 'genuine' OS! Then what to do for 'Office 2007' or Office XP? Then the budget becomes very heavy!!!
I don't think we'll be able to run 'pirated' office in a genuine OS! We may expect some conflicts??!!

4.How is the experience with 'Spare battery'? HOw is it differerent from having 6cell or 9cell batteries?

5.How useful is the 'Lock'?

Kindly share your views!! Thanx in advance!!

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
^^^

Regarding Payment ... U can go by Credit card or Cheque or DD! in the name of Dell India Pvt. Ltd. I went through DD....

For me it took 9/10 days....

If u want any help in installing u can go for with extra amt... If u opt for Basic system install worth Rs.900 they will come and open pack and check everything is right not more than that! so u prefer only if u dont know anything.... or also u can go for classic install for rs. 1300!

My frnd doesnt have any conflict with genuine vista and pirated Office XP!

U have to carry the spare battery with u... If that is OK u can go..... but wen u opt for 9 cell u r adding another 250 gms for ur laptop!

I dont know much abt lock.....

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
Oh! That's Gr8!!!!

ThanQ verymuch,Friend!!

------ . ----- . ------------

Regarding 'Data Card' from Airtel,Reliance or Tata Indicom,Anyone with personal experience?

Dell comes without PCMCIA slots,that's very unfortunate!
But,luckily most of the 'Data cards' now come with 'USB Modem' option!!

I'm using Airtel's MO for checking mails,browsing and as a modem for my mobile! MO also frequent problems,At this time,now MO is out of order due to Server problem in Chennai!

Any good suggestion is welcome!!

Last edited:

nikhilpai

Techans
dhan_shh said:
Oh! That's Gr8!!!!

ThanQ verymuch,Friend!!

------ . ----- . ------------

Dell comes without PCMCIA slots,that's very unfortunate!
But,luckily most of the 'Data cards' now come with 'USB Modem' option!!

I thought none of the new laptops come with PCMCIA slots

boomchick88

Right off the assembly line
any one got idea about HP 6510b models
*h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/sm/WF25a/1090709-1124051-1124051-1124051-12434656-78262804.html
r they availaible in india
whats the price(best buy)
i m cnsidering to buy
any one know in Pune from where i can get it(whre is computer market in Pune)

dear_srik

Right off the assembly line
hi,
yesterday I've bought the HP 6516TX laptop, it was one of the best models I have zeroed in... the other being Dell XPS...
This is a good notebook but the battery could have been better.. It barely lasts 2 to 2:30 hours on full charge... I was using internet through bluetooth so may be it was draining the battery more...
One thing I was shocked was I cannot install windows XP on this system as there were no drivers avail... and the HP service center also said the same.. i was little dissappointed... very few s/w or no comparible s/w are avail on vista yet..so jus be prepared for a surprise...
the note book is pretty good and at 58500 at visakhapatnam, i think its a good deal but wonder if it will be avail at some better price.

Last edited:

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
dear_srik said:
hi,
One thing I was shocked was I cannot install windows XP on this system as there were no drivers avail... and the HP service center also said the same.. i was little dissappointed... very few s/w or no comparible s/w are avail on vista yet..so jus be prepared for a surprise...
:shock::shock::shock: are u sure 6516 doesn't support Win XP ?? That was the first thing i was planning to install in the system !!!

Edited: Did u ask them about DV6565us, it is the same version(well.. almost... i guess) in US as of 6516 in India ?

Check this link out:
*h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3446806〈=en&
is this what driver u were talking about ??

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
Why is everyone so paranoid about drivers? You don't need HP to provide drivers for XP. Go to Intel website for chipset, WiFi & graphic drivers. There are a few options when it comes to sound chips used, so google for the model and get the drivers. LAN, modem and others, if not detected by XP directly can also be found. Other utility softwares(additional keys, touchpad, webcam) which the manufacturers provides are same for all models. All laptops you get in the market today will run XP.

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
Sourabh said:
Why is everyone so paranoid about drivers? You don't need HP to provide drivers for XP. Go to Intel website for chipset, WiFi & graphic drivers. There are a few options when it comes to sound chips used, so google for the model and get the drivers. LAN, modem and others, if not detected by XP directly can also be found. Other utility softwares(additional keys, touchpad, webcam) which the manufacturers provides are same for all models. All laptops you get in the market today will run XP.
Oh Boy, I am so happy to hear that...:D
I don't know much about the drivers and all those stuffs... that's why just got carried away when "dear_srik" told DV6516 doesn't support Win XP :oops:.

Anyway, thanks for pacifying my worries :smile:.

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
Is this worth trying??

HP Pavilion tx1201AU :

AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56
• 1.80 GHz, 512KB + 512KB L2 Cache, Up to 1600 MHz system bus running at AC/DC mode 35 Watt

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

2GB DDR2 RAM

160 GB HDD

DVD writer

WiFi+ Bluetooth+

NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6150

12.1” WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display with Integrated Touch-screen (Pen input optimized)

Fingerprint Reader+

Remote control+

Stylus with Tether+

5-in-one Card Reader+

WebCam+

Price:65,990+

(Special Points: 2GB RAM,vista home premium,"Touch Screen",fingerprint reader)

How is "AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor"?????

Anyone with personal experience with AMD Turion?,kindly share your views!!!

Top Bottom